What s your power supply choice for your effects???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc

Reaction score
hi
i collect a lot of hum pluuging my pedals into wall-wart power supply, so i decided it was about time to invest in a good power supply. I moslty use single coils into a little Class A amp so hum is an issue. i need my pedalboard to be dead quiet. I do not not run any 12 or 18 volts pedals but the power supply needs to be able to handle at least 8 9V pedals easily.
i was considering the Voodoo Lab pedal power, but not the 2 (too much features i don t need). But i can t find the first version anywhere.
It is also expensive. Also the DC Brick from Dunlop seems pretty decent and is cheaper and is as big as a MXR distortion+.
You guys have any suggestions????
thanks

I have had a long and wondrous journey to Power Supply, too long to detail but took in just about every station along the way - they all hummed. Bite the bullet, buy a Diago (UK outfit make pedal boards as well) and wonder how something so small and supposedly simple can be so expensive ?50 - and so difficult to make that it seemingly eludes all their competitors. Must be a connection there.

Here are some:
Power Bank - hum
Regulated supplies - hum
Boss - hum
Independant no-name 9v - hum

Did not go to Voodoo or One-Spot

thanks Kevcaster for your reply
it s been a while since i posted this topic,
meanwhile i got the Voodoo Lab Pedal power 2 and never had any hum problems with my pedalboard ever since.
Great product...but unfortunatly every great products has their price but this one is worth it.

I see that now, I ought to pay morer attention - I also notice you are in Canada, the Diago is a British unit and has moulded Brit plugs etc and probably not appropriate.
Cheers

I looked at the Diago ones and similar (someone is selling ones that look remarably similar on Ebay UK for ?15 too!) but found they are "switched mode" power supplies similar to laptops etc and if they fail, can damage your pedals. With around ?2k tied up in my stompbox pedals (Zendrive, Gain Stage Red, Red Snapper, King of Tone and so on...) I went for a decent transformer based unit from Rothwell Electronics in the UK, only ?69 and I'll make that back when I sell my VS Onespot and a couple of other 9v PSU's etc. There is a lot of variation too in voltage, I checked a number of 9v wall wart PSU's with a quality DVM and all were around 9.7-10v output, whereas a cheap ?20 transformer "pedal power" unit from Maplin pushed out almost exactly 9v (as it uses a proper regulator IC inside...). Zero noise from my board as all the interconnects are George L 155 cable. I enquired whether screened DC cable between the 2.1mm connectors makes any difference and was told not (despite Boss and many others using screened cable for their daisy chain cables). Finally, you can get right angle 2.1mm connectors from effectsconnection.com in the US, very handy to wire up correct length cables.

Latest posts

Back