MATAMP

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Mate of mine is thinking about having one of these built. He wants a low powered amp with 4 6v6's that will break up nice and early but will be powerfull enough to take the band volume all night. We're looking at about 28 watts here.

Now apparently they've invited him down to the workshop to discuss his spec PLUS, they will build it while he waits! This even includes what colour he wants for the cabinet vinyl 8) .

He's looking at about ?1100 for a hand built head and cab.

Any of you guys tried or heard their amps?

Basically, MATAMP'll build you practically anything you want (within their model guidelines) and customise it for you there and then, if you head up to the factory in sunny Huddersfield.

The original 70's ORANGE amps were MATAMP's due to MATAMP teaming up with some bloke from down south, then a parting of ways ensued. ORANGE carried on with the endorsements/placement and MATAMP carried on making amps.

If you want to hear one, listen to early Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green, or alternately, modern bands using them such as Sleep and High on Fire (both bands aren't for the faint hearted, and kind of hard to describe, but of the HEAVY HEAVY rock/metal category).

The one that Lee's mate is looking at was featured in Guitarist last month and has Triode/Pentode switching so that it can drop the power output to 14 Watts (?) from 28.

They used to do a 60 Watter (2 x EL34's) and still carry the 120 Watt monsters (4 x EL34's), and you can have a choice of speakers as well as a choice of Tolex colour!

I was thinking about it a while ago (before I bought the Marshall), and still kind of tempted being a slightly better guitarist (and knowing more of what I want from an amp) than I was when I last went amp hunting, plus te fact that Huddersfield aint a million miles away!

Skybone said:
Basically, MATAMP'll build you practically anything you want (within their model guidelines) and customise it for you there and then, if you head up to the factory in sunny Huddersfield.

Apparently not.

Mate of mine made arrangements and went up there last Sunday. Drove from his home in Kent to Huddersfield. Met one guy at the workshop who stated that he was waiting for another guy to turn up who would knock up the cabinet.

Midday arrived and the guy had not arrived so they rang him. He said:

"What are you talking about, I'm not coming in and even if I did it takes 15 hours to build an amp!"

So much for that service then. Anyway my pal is writing to "Guitarist Magazine" here in the UK to air his dissatisfaction :x .

Any comments MATAMP?

Sounds like they've lost themselves a customer by not talking to one another. Saying that, Guitarist have stated that it does take 2 days. The competition includes a night at a local B&B.

did your friend actually ask them about it on the phone beforehand? because if he did and they said they could do it in a day while he was there then yes its their fault, but if he didn't then its his own fault.

I'm still seriously considering a MATAMP as my next guitar amp though, as I know a few people who own various models and have heard (not from Guitarist) that they are simply the dog's danglies.

Before you spend, have a chat with Denis Cornell at DC Developments. I've been road testing one of Denis's 20w Plexi amps for him and it's a great amp.

I guess it depends on what sould you want. If you like small amp wound up full then the Plexi is great. It certailny is a loud 20w but it also has a low power switch. The amp is loaded with 2 EL84's

Matamps are supposed to be amazing. Their customer service/interaction is supposed to be the worst though. Skybone pretty much summed it up. Fleetwood Mac's Albatross was recorded with the first Matamp, a small 6V6 powered combo. Their live "Boston Tea Party" recordings were done with the more powerful KT-88 driven full stacks. Amazing overdriven tones. Matt Pike of Sleep/High on Fire fame is no longer using Matamps though. He's back to using Marshalls I believe.

Hi

Felt i had to reply, as far as my experience with Matamp goes, i spoke on the phone to the owner Jeff a couple of times, great bloke, couldn't get him off the phone actually, he told me how long it takes to have an amp built etc. No way can you build an amp while someone is waiting, and what about the other customers they're building for? There is always a waiting list for amplifiers of this quality.

When i arrived at the factory in Meltham, i was offered a cup of tea/coffee and as it was nearly dinner time Jeff actually gave me and my mate some of his dinner! He showed us round the factory and told us the general set-up. I auditioned 3 amps for about half an hour, was completely blown away at the sounds i was hearing and bought a combo that had just come back from a gear show.

Matamp WILL built to your tastes, although don't ask them to make a clone of another amp (obviously they regard their amps as superior) but they can 'tune' the amp to your tastes, Matamps are amazingly versatile and can accept virtually any valves (6v6, 6l6, EL34 etc) so you should be able to find something you like.

I've had mine about a year now, i will probably never buy another amp from a shop. ?1000 (approx) for a custom built top quality valve amp is such good value.

Anyway what i'm trying to say is BUY A MATAMP YOU WON'T BE DISSAPPOINTED! They sound amazing and are built like tanks!

Granted, MATAMP make good amps. Regardless, they fcuked my mate about when he went up there with 'CASH' so he bought a "Tone King" instead....... :-?

Shame that, i'm sure he's in the minority. I felt like an old valued customer when i went there, although i did make a few phone calls first and wasn't expecting an amp to be built there and then, cash or no cash. There must have been some cross wires somewhere because they don't have 'stock' and its very rare you can walk in with cash and come out with an amp.

I'm onto my 2nd matamp now,and am getting another soon!!!
They are without a shadow of a doubt the best made best sounding best value best service amps I've ever owned.
The thing you've gotta remember is this-they are a small company-so you can't expect them to knock up an amp on the spot,and they are a working factory,so they are BUSY!!!They have a lot of work on and a waiting list.
Look at it this way-which other amp manufacturer would take the time to let you wander round the factory play as many amps as you like for as long as you like,make you one to spec to order and let you play it before you buy it and STILL change it if you're not happy with it??!!
They are the only manufacturer I would buy from now,I feel cheated buying from other manufacturers now I've seen what goes in to their amps!!
Seriously,you will not find better made better quality amps at better prices with better service than these.
They got 2 5star gold awards in guitarist magazine recently,and well deserved!!

:eek: Hi.

I have to say that my experience's of Matamp's Gaffa, Jeff Lewis were of the highest order.

He recovered, serviced & revalved an old Orange OR80 2X12 combo for me a few years back and he bent over backwards to do a great job at a ridiculously low price ?90.00 !!!!!!!!!!

The only drawback is waiting for his undivided attention, as he spends a lot of time with each customer. I waited for an hour, but had a cuppa made while I looked around, but once you collar him, he's the most knowledgeable, colourful character you could meet.
Very clever & obviously proud of his company.
I could have been spending ?3000 for the service I got.

When funds allow, I will be investing in my ultimate lifetime amp & you can bet that I will be making my way to Meltham.

Why should I spend a fortune on Matchless, Marshall Hand wired, Vox etc when the Matamp factory is less than an hour away ?

Simon.

Back