RLC on the way

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LamontGrady

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am extremely appreciative of the vast amount of information I have learned from this forum. Now it's my turn to post :D

I just purchased a nice white Burny LP custom copy. It has the "correct" truss rod cover shape and diamond inlay. No volute.

Any guesses as to a year or model number? I won't be receiving it for a week but I will be posting detailed pics once I get it. The seller was not able to provide much information except to say it is "not long tennon" neck joint. What are the chances it has a maple top? Should it have a one-piece mahogany neck? Any chance the Grover tuners are stock? I know some high-end Grecos including SOME EG-800 models (mine and one other I know about) came stock with Grovers.

I have a 1979 Greco EG800 custom which is a wonderful guitar. I'll be posting some pics/questions for that shortly.

original.jpg

88403146.jpg

88403148.jpg

88403151.jpg

Thanks for looking!! :p

Hello LamontGrady, welcome to the forum. Mate i have one exactly the same as that its an early eighties model and should have a maple top. They have a medium tenon neck joint, meaning that the neck tenon goes right up to the pickup cavity but not into it. I have seen black customs from this era with all mahogany so pull a pickup out when you get it and have a look, but i'm pretty sure it will be maple top.
cheers...
Mick

that is one sweeeeeeeet looking little girl you got on the way there :D

From my experience with RLC models, I would be willing to bet you have a 100% mahogany example coming

every RLC I've had with the correct diamond inlay & bell truss cover have had the maho top 8)

5LPs.jpg

Neck should be 1 pc. maho w/ heel cap; tuners are likely original but are also likely an indication of one of the final few with the correct diamond inlay. Earlier models had the tapered key (see above photo) & not the Grover bean style turns

Let us know what you discover, after you've had a look under the hood :)

Wow I really appreciate your guys enthusiasm!! Thanks for the responses.

I've almost bid on a few of these over the past couple years. Either Greco or Burny white custom. There were a couple I just hear calling out to me across the planet - "buy me!" ha ha ha.

I should really start another thread about my Grecos. Just in case I don't get around to it here she is, just a spectacular guitar. This pic is terrible, the digital camera just kills the burst. Also this top is HEAVY birdseye.

43349233.jpg

I live in Cleveland so there are a lot of guitars in the shops to check out and tons of musicians etc. I have a Greco SG that was the best SG of any I played out of about 15 guitars while shopping around for a good SG.

The other Vintage MIJ I've laid my paws on was a 1979 Greco EG-500/450 standard tobacco burst (I don't have pics of that one) off ebay for a buddy a year ago. I set it up and didn't like it much but eventually it grew on me and I ended up liking it. We did put VH-1 pups in it at some point, as the stock pups sucked. I passed it along to my buddy I had it intended for and it's become his #1. Even though it's a low-end model (as evidenced by the grey inlays) you play a guitar from 1979 with that old wood and good quality build and it really is a good guitar.

Ok I have so much to talk about I'm contaminating my own thread :D

I found some links to the catalogs. After all the reading I had done, I was sure the new white LP custom was a FLC-60. That was the only model custom for several years? Then I see a catalog scan (thank you!!!) showing pictures of the FLC-60 models from the early 80s and none are white?

I'm sure all will be revealed.

I'm positive I have seen Gibson and Greco solid-color customs with maple tops. I know they exist and 'I'm pretty sure Burny has some too.

Place your predictions now on what I will discover upon opening the box. I promise detailed pics within a week of getting to put strings on and play with her.

http://www.pbase.com/fhludlow/image/88403146

Hi MIJ , my burny custom is exactly the same as the cream one in question and it definately has a maple top so i suppose he won't know for sure till he gets it home, either way she's a beauty. :wink:
cheers Mick

What possible model numbers could it be? How will I know which model it is aside from the possible maple top?

Hard to tell model no's i think mine {maple top} is a RR-70 Randy Rhoades model and i think it replicates a 1968 LP custom. When you get her home pull the front pickup out and first find out if it has a mahogany or a maple top and we'll go from there.....Mick

you can remove the 4 screws on the rear control route, and check the back side of the top wood.
You can tell from the grain if it is mahogany, or maple.

Pulling a pickup for top wood ID is just waaaaaaay 2 much trouble, when you can do the same thing by removing 4 screws & a plastic cover............

You guys are the best. I'm so excited! I keep checking the tracking but it's still in Japan :lol:

Most likely I'll be taking pictures of every nook and cranny. I like to play WITH my gear almost as much as actually playing it! I'd generally clean and polish it thoroughly, treat the fretboard, possibly dress/polish the frets, and clean up the nut slots if they aren't perfect. I'll definitely check the pup routes for any ID clues. Depending on the strings I almost always just put my favorite strings on right off the bat so checking under the pups at the same time won't be too much trouble.

Supposedly this one is very clean and has hardly any fret wear so I might not have to do much, we'll see.

I have purchased from your seller before, Kenji aka seikosuru2003, and he has been a good seller.

Check out this mean animal I purchased from him years ago; a 1986 Fender Japan E series ash body 62 reissue 8)
See thru banana finish w/ tortoise 'guard; is that the shizzle, or what? :lol:
It had some of the same stampings as the later Fender Japan 'Order Made' stuff but without THE 'Order Made' stamp

Banana2.jpg

62Banana1.jpg

Yowza! That's nice!

Just reminded me that I have an 87 E series MIJ Fender Strat hardtail - sunburst, rosewood board...great guitars from that era.

Nice strat! I like the lighter colors or natural woodgrain.

He has a lot of feedback but if he doesn't know something for sure he's not willing to guess. I would think someone that had handled so many guitars would know more but at least he's honest. He could not tell me if the guitar had the maple cap for instance :-?

I've got to try another strat one of these days. I put a lot of time into tweaking a mim fat strat and I just never really liked it. A buddy of mine has a really nice american strat I think from the 70s but it's pretty much mint so it just lives under his bed :lol: I do have a lot better amps now so I should get another one and give it a try.

http://www.pbase.com/fhludlow/mb_strat

I do have a Fernandes Jazz bass copy. I'm not much of a bass player so I don't know if it's anything special but for the money I love it. It's the wine-red sort of color w/ the tortoise pickguard, I love that tortoise stuff!

It was stuck in customs in Chicago for a full week :cry:

Looks like it cleared customs yesterday afternoon though! :D

They probably cut it in half to make sure there's no terrorists in it, that's about how intelligent our current administration is in this country. :-?

LamontGrady said:
They probably cut it in half to make sure there's no terrorists in it, that's about how intelligent our current administration is in this country. :-?

:lol:

The mail man just brought it!! :D

But he wanted a check for $60 for "customs!" :evil:

Has anyone ever heard of that? Is that normal? I've gotten lots of small items from abroad sent to me here in the USA and have never heard of such a thing, what is the deal?

Well I got home from work and eagerly looked for the box. I was a bit dismayed to see this tiny box:

89035822.jpg

Guess what happens to a guitar that is shipped thousands of miles in a single tiny box with no padding or protection whatsoever??? :roll:

89035815.jpg

:cry: :cry: :x :cry: :cry:

LamontGrady said:
Well I got home from work and eagerly looked for the box. I was a bit dismayed to see this tiny box:

89035822.jpg

Guess what happens to a guitar that is shipped thousands of miles in a single tiny box with no padding or protection whatsoever??? :roll:

89035815.jpg

:cry: :cry: :x :cry: :cry:

OMG !!! :eek:

Sorry to see that LG. Mate i was just looking at the original pictures you posted and where that neck has broken there is already a crack there. The crack isn't visible in the shots where you show the broken neck, this leads me to believe it was already broken before you bought it :evil: .

Latest posts

Back