my first Burny (RLG-90?)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klyniss

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
New user, first post :)

After looking a long while for a good imported copy i finally found one here in Canada yesterday (on ebay)

Its listed as a '98 RLG-90 but from what i've read here and on other sites has me totally confused!

There is a stamp in one of the pup-routes 81810... has a two screw truss cover, pups have VH-1 stickers underneath but one has black wire and the other grey!

Also, it was advertised as having a long tenon, which from what i read here is wrong???

here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180175192324&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:CA:1123

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Welcome Klyniss, It has the medium tenon neck joint same as my early 80's burny custom, he doesn't say long tenon , what he says is the neck tenon goes right up to the pickup cavity. I wouldn't worry to much as they are a good joint, as he says better than a LP standard joint. Looks like a very nice guitar, enjoy.
Cheers...Mick

Thanks Mick for the reply.

Is the 1998 dating accurate? ... i have never seen so much confusion regarding date codes as on these Burnys :eek:

Is there a serial no on that model, apart from that i can only say the period that mine came from because of the headstock logo, {mines an early eighties custom}. There is another forum member MIJ Vintage and he has a few burnies, hopefully he'll chime in with some help, or try sending him a private message.
Cheers Mick

It seems the parts aren't all original. I think the pups are later VH-1s, the earlier ones have braided wires. Often VH-4s are confused with VH-1s.
It's also strange the bridge and tailpiece saying "SG".
But if the guitar sounds good, who cares.
Enjoy it 8)

Yes there is a serial #, what looks like 81810 in the bridge route.

So if Burnys did not have serial numbers at all bewteen '82-'92 (like i read on one site) then it must be a 1998... but yes it does seem like a couple things are a bit off....

Latest posts

Back