Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

80s Cat's Eyes CE400

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Acoustics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philosopher
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: 80s Cat's Eyes CE400 Reply with quote

Hi there.
Has any of you any experience of the Cat's Eyes acoustics from the 80s? I've found a good online deal on a CE400 in very good condition and I was wondering how would that sound.

Thanks
uptheswa
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: cat's eyes ce400 Reply with quote

i have a nice collection of cat's eyes including a ce400, it is a great guitar, nice bright sound and all the martin tones are there, all my cat's eyes are from the early 80's and most are in mint condition, i think a lot of these were bought in japan and probably never played much, but i also have a few that have been played a lot and they have stood the test of time well

if you have found a good deal go for it, if the guitar is in good condition then you will not be disappointed, i think i paid about ?400 for my ce400 about 14 months go, i probably paid full price so it probably cannot be classed as a bargin, but i am still very happy...great guitar
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cat's eyes accoustics from the CE400 and up-over are really great guitars, but one thing to be careful of is that, as with a lot of acoustics that are 30 years old, is movement of the wood.

This normally results in a 'belly swell' and a very high action, the only way to correct this is either shaving the saddle (not ideal) or re-setting the neck, both a job for a pro.

If you can find one that plays with a nice low action it should be good for years to come.

They sound fantastic, I used to have a CE400 that totally blew away my Martin that cost 5 times as much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Acoustics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: