Are Chinese LS48's any good?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les-paul-man

Reaction score
Hi names Andy
Im new to the tokai scene but after alot of hours spent in my local shop with a pair of beatiful 48's ive decided to give the a look over as a possible purchase.
As i play in a blues rock band but also dabble in metal i intend to buy the pair and load 1 with active emg's.
Any feedback as to the quality of these guitars would be much appreciated!
And finally is ?500 the pair with cases thrown in a fair deal?

?500 for the pair with cases is a fair price, not great (depending on the quality of the case) but not bad at all.

BUT In my opinion you would be far better off getting one good guitar than two sub-standard ones. For less than the price of the two 48's & the EMG's you could have this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-Love-Rock-LS80-Electric-Guitar-HDC-Finish_W0QQitemZ280162911247QQihZ018QQcategoryZ112670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you were to look around at second-hand you would get even better value for money, maybe something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-Love-Rock-LS-60-Guitar-Tobacco-MIJ-1980_W0QQitemZ320171037081QQihZ011QQcategoryZ112670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You would never lose money on the LS60 above, with the LS48's you would be lucky to get half of what you paid in 6 month's time.

There are loads of options.

Either guitar would cover blues or metal styles with the standard pickups, and be way better than the Chinese models

Cheers John!

im after 2 guitars because of the need to record and gig as well as home use. 1 would be a strictly gigin axe n the other kept good for home and recording.

Would there actually be that much difference between an als48 and an ls50?

The difference between a Chinese LS48 and a new Japanese LS80, or an early '80's LS50 would be night & day!

I gigged, recorded, taught, busked, practiced with one guitar for years, it's only now I can afford a few nice guitars, trust me, buying 2 chinese pieces of S*** is the wrong thing to do.

A better guitar will make you sound better, play better and want to play more, it will hold it's value, it will be something you love rather than just a guitar.

trying to sell unwanted lower level guitars is really hard to do and get a fair price. i've been trying to sell a couple for awhile and finally i'm just gonna let them ride on ebay and take whatever i can get. hopefully its not too bad.

Cheers 4 the input fellas!

Hope they dont do to badly, although i dont plan to sell any of my collection or ne axe i ever buy = an axe is 4 life just not for playin!

Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Well, apparently you bought them already.

So which opinion are you looking for? :eek:

I just can give advise on how to treat the chinese fakes: get a LOT of gasoline, they don't burn easily. Apparently the coating is made of sewer residuals.

Normal buying price (including shipment if you buy 5) to Europe is ? 410.--. Then you pay VAT and customs. Brings it to ? 516.60 in Austria. Pretty expensive BBQ.

Cheers. Rupert

Les-paul-man said:
I watever u said m8
their nat fake ********!

If you learn to spell you can insult people a lot better!

Everyone is trying to give you some good advice, if you don't want it, don't ask.

Well sorry but no ive not bought them. but the dig bout legitimicy was pretty low considering their coming from a registered tokai dealer. i dont see what the big deal is about them being good guitars but because their from china they get a slagin.
please explain!!

For ?250 brand new they probably aren't bad, but if you have ?500 to spend I think 2 of these is a silly idea. I've played enough guitars to know a good one from a not so good one, and the low end Tokais aren't any better than an Epiphone or 'Vintage', the higher-end models however are.

As with most things you get what you pay for, I certainly wouldn't slate anything just because it was Chinese, I'm simply saying IMO you could spend ?500 a lot more wisely.

Gday LP man, mate if i was you i wouldn't go any where near the chinese stuff. You sound like a bit of a novice when it comes to guitars, these guys are giving you good advice. There's no way i would be gigging with a chinese guitar, inferior wood =inferior tone. Do yourself a favor and buy 1 japanese one and use it for both. I have, up until the last couple of years, used one guitar for everything and never had a problem at all. At the end of the day the japanese originals are a **** load better guitars than their chinese counterparts. Advice is what you asked for and advise is what you got .. :p
Cheers.....Mick

Latest posts

Back