Why Tokai?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

As a European, and a wine drinker, I know that Tokai is the name of a fine Hungarian wine, much favoured by Queen Victoria and the late Queen Mother. But, how did it come to be the name of a Japanese guitar brand? It does sound vaguely Japanese (as if I can tell :lol: ), but is it a Japanese word? If so, what does it mean? :eek:

I'm sure one of you clever people can answer this one for me.

Mike

Don't know if there is a connection ...

Tokai is also one of the world's biggest manufacturers of Quality Lighters, founded in the Far East region ... 8) 8)

Roger

Well, in India, 'Tokai' means 'homeless child', one who makes a living out of begging, illegal dealing or worse.

Looks like copying Gibbos is worse than illegal dealing!

C'mon....at least 20%of us here speak passable Japanese... :eek:
"TO" can be read as many things depending on the context and the way it is written.
Japanese English
to door (Japanese style)
to if (conjunction)
to person (suf)
to party, set, gang
to ten

Japanese English
kai effect, result, worth, use, avail
kai floor (counter), stories
kai counter for occurrences
kai cut, clip, shear, reap, trim, prune
kai shell, shellfish, being in between, mediation
kai large
kai low rank, subordinate, lower order (e.g. byte)
kai meeting (suf,vs), assembly, party, association
kai oar, scull, paddle
kai shell, shellfish

The most popular meaning of Kai in Japan is Association.
To also means party or group.....so I guess that it'd be stoopid to assume it means Group association.
I reckon it means "TO"(ten) "KAI"(shellfish)
So Tokai means Ten Shellfish.
Coz that's how much it used to cost to buy an ancient Tokai back in fudal times of the Samurai.
Glad i could enlighten people...always happy to provide accurate knowledge :wink: :p

There is a region named "Tokai"

http://www.j-heartland.com/

Apparently the Museum of Musical Instruments is located in Hamamatsu, also the location of the Tokai factory.

There is also a village named "Tokai", but I would guess the name is based on the region. The village is closer to Tokyo, while Hamamatsu is in the center of the Tokai region.

:evil: I still reckon my explanation's the best.
I thought ten shellfish for an ancient LS300 was a bargain...although you could pick up a Myamoto Musashi model Springy for 3 shellfish and 5 prawn
:p
Hmmm..for an anti-drug person my posts look awfully suss at the moment :eek:

Ozeshin said:
So Tokai means Ten Shellfish.
Coz that's how much it used to cost to buy an ancient Tokai back in fudal times of the Samurai.
Glad i could enlighten people...always happy to provide accurate knowledge :wink: :p

Makes perfect sense to me Oz, thanks for the enlightenment. Ten Shellfish it is. :p

Now pass that spliff will ya? :wink:

Mike

8) sorry guys but all nice try and you guys did well..........

tokai is a name of region that their factory is located in. its all around the city

of nagoya and a large part of the middle of the japan island.

in japanese, this tokai means "the eastern sea". so the name tokai simply

means "the eastern sea". you know that japan is located in the east, the

orient, to the western culture. so it really makes sense their name is tokai.

tokai and japan, from the sea of the east.............cool? happy now?

later............................................................................joe, 8)

OK Ten Shellfish Joe :lol: , thanks for that.

So it's just a coincedence that Tokai is also the name of a Hungarian wine?

In a way, I'm a little disappointed. It's a bit like calling a UK guitar a Wigan Tele?

Mike

8) yep its just a coimcidence and thats all........."the east sea" is no good?

i think its just right and.........although it maynot be romantic much.........

later man, joe tenshellfish. 8)

http://portal.unesco.org/culture/en/ev.php-URL_ID=29357&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

Those Wigan Teles aren't a patch on the Brixton Strats....loud,obnoxious and ready to run riot at the slightest provocation
:p

stratman323 said:
In a way, I'm a little disappointed. It's a bit like calling a UK guitar a Wigan Tele?
Eee tha'knos, ah got pie an pea wet al'affer me gitar.

(Disclaimer: I was born in St. Helens and would never spill a good pie on a guitar).

Latest posts

Back