Questions for Greco guitars please post here

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I'm new here but hang on a few other forums.

I have a 1979 Greco Les Paul "Ace Frehley" Custom with the open book head stock. The "O" in Greco is closed. It has a pancake body but has fret binding. So it seems to have some low end and some high end features. Most of the info and pics I find of the 79's have the odd headstock. The hardware shown in the pic is non original.

Any info on a possible model would be greatly appreciated. It is a great playing guitar. I also own a 92 OBG that is a killer axe as well.

Thanks for any help.
a650_1-1.jpg

japanstrat, thanks again for your info!

The original pricing for an EG-500 was the same as EG-59-50, EG-600 as EG-56-60 and so on ... right?

/megl

For the EG-500 and so on just drop a 0 to get the price in thousands of Yen.
EG-500 = 50,000 Yen, EG-59-50 = 50,000 Yen, EG-600 = 60,000 Yen, EG-56-60 = 60,000 Yen.

EG= Electric Guitar

You can tell models because pickups used.

Interesting the 3 pups EG, I had one.

Hi guys, would anyone have an opinion on whether the guitar in this auction is from the mint collection series?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140154922217&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

Cos if it isn't, Im been a little confused... If an EG greco is not from the MC series, does it mean it has to be from the Super Real, Super Power or Rock Spirits series? I don't think this belongs to any of these three, so... you see my dilemma...

What's got me a little confused on this auction is that the headstock has an open O, which suggests MC. But, aren't the MC series labelled EG-XX-XX, rather than EG-XXX?

Any help you guys might have on this would be greatly appreciated!

Hi. First post here but been a lurker for a while. Anyway, this seems like the place to ask about a Greco LP custom I'm looking at.

Its identified as a late 80s or early 90s, although the seller doesn't know for sure. Black custom, with chrome hardware (doesn't look like gold faded away). Its got fret edge binding, no VISIBLE long tenon apparent, maybe medium (definitely not a dowel), a split diamond headstock inlay and an open o logo. Its also got a bone nut (I add this because otherwise it would look like a Sykes). Two screw truss rod cover and black witch hat knobs. No serial or model numbers anywhere. Bridge is a Nashville type.

If anyone could give me ideas as to what this is, I'd really appreciate it.

Here's an update to the previous post. I picked this up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220149783941&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012

I found some things that aren't so clear in the pictures that are in person. The tenon does not enter the neck pup cavity, but there is a cutout as seen in the pictures where an extended tenon might be set. Also, it looks like someone removed a sticker or label from the cavity (hence the bare wood). Also, in the control cavity, one of the pots is changed. It looks like the electronics were played with. The pickups have the braided wire, but the wire from the switch is grey plastic coated. The bridge is a Nashville type of Gotoh manufacture and the tailpiece is a Japanese "SG" piece. The tuners are made in Japan but not stamped with a logo. The open o Greco looks like a screen rather than an inlay. The pup rings are silver. One of the tone knobs has been changed (looks more silver in the pics). No serial number on the headstock, but it looks like someone buffed something off the back of the headstock, just between the top two tuners. Fret edge binding, which I thought was indicative of higher end models.

It also looks like someone changed out the hardware to make it like a Sykes model or something. The nut is still bone though and the tuners have hints of gold hardware (or oxidation). I haven't seen any other black customs with chrome hardware stock, and not many with the Nashville bridge.

The question remains. What the hell is this? Is it Japanese or Korean and what model is it? Please tell. Plays pretty nice, whatever it is, although it could use a good setup. I'm still dying to know what it is. Please help a newbie out! :p

I want to identify a greco and some questions?

here is the guitar and some pictures

http://www.turkrock.com/ftopic74003-0-asc-0.html

Seller says this is a 1987 greco custom, all hardware original,50s neck
thats all he knows about the guitar he sells it for 800$

well acording to the serial no, open O logo and some research I think this is 1990,Mint collection, egc 600 maybe, it has a hybrid neck between glued set-neck and bolt-on(only one screw), there is no fret edge binding acording to the photos. is it a low end model?

What do you think?
what about this hybrid neck, what are cons and pros of this kinda neck

thank you

Hi there. I am a new here. i am very glad, that I?ve found this forum. I need some help with some Greco which I want to buy.

the seller say it?s greco EG900, but i am not sure. the serial number is A79xxx. its tobacco sunburst, with mahagony solid body and two peices maple top.
it has open coil pickups (maybe the cover have some put down - don?t know)
neck is of maple, not mahagony.
it has long tennon neck.
on the reverse side of pickups are this ingo:
28120-A (maybe greek alfa)
and 7,92 kOhm.

could someone help me?

thanks a lot[/img]

Hi cross, i'd be very surprised if it has a maple neck, i could be wrong but i don't think so, {villager ?} It is a 79 Model and some pictures would be a great help in identifying it. {hasn't someone else said that before?? :eek: }

Mick

Hi mick. thank you for answer. Here are some photos. it is difficult to recognise some of them, but maybe they will also help to identificate this greco.
thank you very much

here is link

f_47754990_df833fcf51aa04d2b6485bf89dfafa84.jpg

thanx

+cross+

Hi Cross , mate i'd say it has a 2 piece maple top 2 piece mahogany back {maybe 3} and a mahogany set neck. Here is a review of the same model........cheers Mick
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Greco/Les+Paul+Standard/10/1

hi Mick, thanks for the answer.
I ve got next question :)
what do you think about neckjoint on this Greco?
thanks for your patience with me :)

cross

Mate, the neck joint should be quite good, the early and very sort after super reals have the same joint.{Mark,correct me if i'm wrong?} I'm pretty sure the extended tenon or long tenon didn't appear until the "Mint Collection" guitars from 1982 and on. It is still a better neck joint compared with the much more expensive Gibson lp standards, .......Cheers Mick

Mick, I am really very glad, that you re so helfpul to me.
This Greco can be my first "REALLY" guitar, so I don?t want make mistake.
Please, can you tell me, what to you think, which model is it?
It has fret edge binding - so I think it will be higher than eg500.

thank you very much

ps:sorry my english is not very good

There is a member on here "villager" send him a private message and i'm sure he will let you know what to look for, i'm more familiar with the "mint collection" models. ..................Mick

Back