Sold my Edwards JP Relic & bought a Gibson Faded Standar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prsman

Reaction score
First of all, I really enjoyed the Edwards, for the money spent it is good value for money; however, my new 2007 Gibson les paul sounds much, much better!!

Both guitars are chambered and are a pleasure to play for this reason, but I must say the Gibson sounds more vibrant and packs more volume when unplugged. For this reason, it sounds even better when plugged in. I attribute this both to the Burstbuckers and the design and chambering of the Gibson.

The Bursbuckers, in all positions, IMHO sound considerably better.

The fit and finish on both guitars was fantastic.

Tuners: I don't feel the Gotoh gold tuners performed any better then the Gibson's stock klusons . In fact, I enjoy the vintage Gibsons more.

Long versus short neck tenon: From my experience and from a tone perspective, I can't see why this is such an issue, as the Gibson has a short tenon and sounds better.

Don't get me wrong, I still dig Edwards guitars, infact I would love to purchase their answer to Gibson's R6 (Goldtop, with p-90s). Does anyone have this guitar? Is this a chambered axe? Is the edwards goldtop on par in terms of fit and finish as a LP 98 or Jimmy page model? If so, I'm sure this would be a fine guitar to buy.

Just my two cents,

-prsman.

My Edwards JP isn't chambered (ran it thru airport xray) and it weighs 7.25 lbs

Put a Faberkit on it (alum tailpiece, posts, bushings) and it sounds killer.

I'm assuming yours didn't have the Super Circuit coil splitting pots on it. If it did, I think you downgraded - but that's my two cents.

For me, there's not a Gibson out there for the money I paid on my Edwards that would give me the same return on investment.

Prsman, you should realise Edwards are not meant to be equivalents of Gibson, the Navigators are the ones suppose to be equivalents of Gibson, try them and you'll be blown away by the sheer quality of it!!

The fadeds are nice guitars.

It's good to hear an actual comparison between Gibson and MIJ guitars.

Thanks for taking the time to write your findings.

If I recall correctly, someone over on the Les Paul Forum did do a comparison between an Edwards and a Gibson. The results were mixed, but the Edwards held its own against the Gibson. Different ears preferred different instruments, but neither was a slouch in any category.

That's funny, I automatically assumed my JP relic that I sold was chambered due to both the weight and sound of it.

After playing these chambered gibsons I must say chambering is a good thing. You see, I compared my friend's mint 1992 Gibson classic to my new faded. Both my friend and I thought the tone on the chambered faded was waaaay better - way more punchy and vibrant while still maintaining a nice heavy/dark lp tone.

And who wouldn't want to try out a Navigator - heck, who wouldn't want to try out a Gibson custom shop R9?? Both lines I'm sure are top-notch; however, both lines are a lot more expensive then my faded standard. The only reason I compared my new Gibson to my old Edwards is because the Faded is priced closer to an Edwards JP model then to a Navigator.

Question: What type of straplocks are on the JP relic? I need to get an identical set for the Gibson, as those are the fantastic.

Yeah, I'm dying to hear an Edwards Goldtop with p-90s. Again, is this guitar in the same sort of league as the LP 98 and JP relic model in terms of quality, electronics?

-prsman

prsman said:
Question: What type of straplocks are on the JP relic? I need to get an identical set for the Gibson, as those are the fantastic.

Yeah, I'm dying to hear an Edwards Goldtop with p-90s. Again, is this guitar in the same sort of league as the LP 98 and JP relic model in terms of quality, electronics?

-prsman

They're Schaller strap locks. All I've heard about the Edwards Goldtops with P90's is that they're great - resonant and more of a scooped top carving like the early Gibbos. Quality is there but they are kind of heavy.....most are around 9 lbs.

marcusnieman said:
My Edwards JP isn't chambered (ran it thru airport xray) and it weighs 7.25 lbs
For me, there's not a Gibson out there for the money I paid on my Edwards that would give me the same return on investment.

Marcus,

you're right - not chambered !!! But I'll prove it soon by an Xray of Eddie LP90LTS and Gibbo Classic ... I'll post some pics after the job has been done ... 8) 8) 8)
There are many rumours out there that the Eddies are chambered ... must be from the owners of 10lbs-guitars who can't believe that the Eddies sound so beautiful and do weigh less than a half of their own guitars ... :wink: :wink: :wink:

BTW - I have the Gibbo Classic too, and indeed - she's the best sounding LP I currently have with Wolfetone DrVs ... the Eddie has got the BN Mules and if I would change the pups ... maybe there'd be no difference between them ... 8) 8) 8)

Roger

Hi prsman, i'm glad you have a chambered guitar that you say sounds great because all the ones i've looked at and played sounded like ****. I recently played a 2006 lp custom brand spanking new and it sounded like a cardboard box... :eek: The Edwards is a solid body guitar, just better quality mahogany than Gibson use. I also read a story that gibson, for their high end models are sourcing their wood from Japan. As far as the tenon goes the Gibson standard tenon is terrible {search this forum for pics} It has about half the contact or less than a tokai neck tenon and is by far an inferior joint. More contact = more sustain and resonance. The japanese neck joints have good contact all over, the standards have contact on both sides and part of the bottom and not at all at the front {there is a piece of wood that gibson put in the pickup cavity to cover the end of the dodgey neck joint} Anyway i'm glad you have managed to get one your happy with.......cheers Mick.

cyberpunk409 said:
tudor said:
...I'll prove it soon by an Xray of Eddie LP90LTS

can't wait for that. would LOVE to see an x-ray of an Edwards :)

I was going to take a picture of mine at the airport but the TSA security wouldn't let me behind the unit with my camera. She did let me peer over her shoulder to have a peek. It had the standard routing and body cavity holes - beautiful image showing all of the wiring and electronics.

My JP relic had good sustain, but not as much as my Gibson - that I'm certain of. Important to note as well, my old Epi standard (with bone nut and Seymour 59s) possessed more sustain then both the Edwards and Gibson.

As a result, this whole long and short tenon thing is a non-issue for me, as the tone and sustain from the Gibson is considerably better. This is important to note, for when I initially chose the Edwards over the Gibson, one of the pros that helped sway my decision towards the Edwards was the long tenon.

I could give a rat's a#$ if Gibson is using an inferior wood on the back (who nows if that's the case) it still sounds better at the end of the day.

Believe me, I wanted my JP relic to sound better then the faded. I actually felt quite sick when I initially picked up the Gibson after recently buying the Edwards and discovering thicker, punchier, heavier, crunchier and clearer (scientific terms, eh?) tones coming from the Gibson. Thankfully I unloaded my Edwards at the same price I bought it for (initially bought it from Ishibishishi - highly recommend these guys too).

I'm only trying to drive my point home, because I wouldn't like for anyone who has the cash to spend on the faded standard compromise themselves and go for the JP relic, for I think you'll be much more happy with the Gibson. I paid $750 for the Edwards plus roughly $100 more in shipping. Also, the Gibson comes with a kick-@#$ hard case (probably worth $100 more then the ESP soft case included with the Edwards). Therefore, the true cost of the JP relic was $950 when you factor in these incremental costs (extra shipping and having to buy a hard-case). I paid $1,399 for a heavly flamed Gibson les paul. To me this extra amount was worth it.

regards,

prsman

prsman, you are talking a lot of sense. There is no doubting that there are some great Japanese guitars out there and some great USA one too, but all this x-raying a guitar to see how good it is is rubbish, plug it in and play it that's the true test.

Based on my experience with Les Pauls, which is quite extensive, there are good and not so good ones regardless of where they were made or who made them. I have played Historic's that didn't feel/sound as good as my Tokai LS80 and played Gibson Standards that were every bit as good (reluctant to say better :D )

Bottom line is try as many guitars as you can and buy the one that you think is best.!

JohnA said:
but all this x-raying a guitar to see how good it is is rubbish, plug it in and play it that's the true test.

For the record, I wasn't x raying the guitar to see how good it was - it was good right out of the box for me. I had to put it thru the airport X Ray because I carried it on in a gig bag - I don't check my guitars in with baggage.

There's always been debate about the Edwards JP models being chambered because of their light weight - I was simply confirming what I saw. Isn't that what the point of this forum is? To share information?

But what do I know......

Marcus

Sorry if I offended, I didn't direct this at you, just at the genral 'cork sniffing' habits of some guitar players, Les Paul Players more than most, and myself included if I'm totally honest.

What matters most is that it plays well, sounds great and feels right, all the better if it has a nice flame top finished in nitro, a solid honduras body & a long tennon :D

About the point of the forum, I agree with you entirely, but if we all had the same opinions it would make for some pretty dull discussions.

JohnA said:
Marcus

Sorry if I offended, I didn't direct this at you, just at the genral 'cork sniffing' habits of some guitar players, Les Paul Players more than most, and myself included if I'm totally honest.

What matters most is that it plays well, sounds great and feels right, all the better if it has a nice flame top finished in nitro, a solid honduras body & a long tennon :D

About the point of the forum, I agree with you entirely, but if we all had the same opinions it would make for some pretty dull discussions.

No offense taken at all.....sorry to be a litte bitchy this morning. You're absolutely right about what matters most is how it plays and sounds. I have what would be considered some crap guitars (Univox's) that will destroy some off the rack new guitars in terms of tone - that's why I have them.

Well, amongst my Guitars I have a 2005 Gibson LP Standard,a 1988 Gibson les Paul Classic gold top, a 2006 E-LP-90 LTS Edwards, and a 2006 MIJ spec Tokai Love Rock (dunno what model, but apparently listed for ?599.

I put them all pretty much on a par with each other..certainly there is little to choose between them.

Here is a copy of an old comparison I did between my Gibson LP Standard and the Edwards:

Hi,

I've been asked to do a bit of a comparison between my Recently aqquired Edwards LP, and one of my Gibsons. I used my Les Paul Standard as it seemed closest in spec to the Edwards.

The Guitars:

The Edwards is a E-LP-90LT(LMD) Lemon Drop, Lacquer taste, 2006.

It weighs in at a comfy 8 pounds.

It is fitted with Seymour Duncan pickups, JB at the bridge and a 59 at the neck.

c416_3.jpg

The Gibson is a 2005 Les Paul Standard, weighing in at 9 pounds(ish)

It is fitted with the original Burstbucker pickups it came with.

Lespaulstandard2.jpg

Here are some comparisons from my point of view. These are my opinions, your mileage may vary.

Both guitars are strung 10-46.

The Edwards is slightly lighter, and on close inspection seems very slightly better finished than the Gibson. Both guitars are Nitro finished, but I have heard that Edwards shoots the top coat over poly, whereas Gibson is all nitro. The Gibson is nicely finished, but does have some small blemishes.

The Edwards neck is a bit chunkier than the Les Pauls 60's neck.

The Edwards has a bone nut, the Gibson is plastic.

The Gibson has a real flamed maple cap..the Edwards is a flamed veneer over plain maple.

I personally prefer the sound of the Edwards neck pickup, and the Gibsons bridge pickup.

I also prefer the nickel hardware on the Gibson, but I do like the Edwards, ABR style bridge.

Both of them play very very nicely, the Edwards POSSIBLY edging it.

The Gibson seems toi have slightly better sustain.

The Edwards has the best long tenon neck joint I have ever seen:

longtenon2.jpg

The Gibson has the usual production short tenon.

The neck angle on the Gibson seems better..the bridge is not up so high.

Overall in UK pounds at street prices, the Edwards seem to come in after importing them and paying taxes and stuff here in the uk at about ?450- ?500.
The UK street price on a new Les Paul Standard comes in at ?1400- ?1500, but the Gibson does include a hard case...the Edwards comes with a gig bag.

And now some clips.

To try to simplify things, both guitars were run with tone/volume on full into a VOX AD30VT with the gain up. 2 settings were used, boutique clean, and boutique overdrive, both with a little reverb, and the amp was DI'd into my soundcard.

NOTHING was tweaked or changed..the tone may not be great, but both guitars were on completely equal footing.

If you can think of anything you would like to know that I have missed, let me know!:thu:

CLIPS:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=484650&songID=5260471

:D

JohnA said:
metalheadUK So which one do you actually like the best after living with them for a while?

Still pretty even stevens to be honest.

If I need to pick up an LP, any of them will do the job to my complete satisfaction.

But of the MIJs I would JUST give the nod to the Tokai, simply because I slightly prefer the sound of it to the Edwards.

Latest posts

Back