Burny Super Grade

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johan

Reaction score
Hi

Found two Burny Les Pauls for sale here in Sweden. Both Super Grades.

Seller says Lemon Drop is made in 88. Fret edge bindings,short tenon, Veneer top. VH-1's.

Seller says Cherry Sunburst is made in 83-84. Fret edge bindings.

FullSize_5175777_55Burnysupergrade1988honeybursthelbild.JPG
FullSize_5171545_29Burnysupergradecherry1983.JPG

FullSize_5175777_27Burnysupergrade1988headstockfram.JPG
FullSize_5171545_46Burnysupergrade1983cherryheadstockfram.JPG

Is there any difference between them? Can you tell by looking at the pics when they are made? The only difference I see is the Truss rod cover. Lemon drop is later than Cherry sunburst. Are the cheery long tenon?

Which one would you pick up unseen?

IMO given a like for like choice I would choose the earlier one, the early VH-1's are better pickups and I've never played a late model Burny that's really great.

Having said that the Lemon Drop looks great and I hate Cherry SB.

Sorry to be no help at all :wink:

Ony advice is to try them and see which one sounds/feels best, unless you like CSB in which case go for the older one.

That's no help at all :D

I've tried a few and the older has been better but I prefer lemon drop and hate cherry sunburst...that's why I asked. Guess I have to get used to Cherry.

Hejsan

Yes it looks like a 1983-87 model. The coulor of the pickupwires can tell You if it is 83-84 model or 84-87 model grey wire 83/84 black wire 84/87.

It is not possible to say if a 82-87 guitar is better than a 1988 model. It depends mostly of the wood used. Ask the seller to weight the guitars, and then go for the most lightweight. Normally the old ones had the best wood !! Many of the guitars from 82-87 have 2 piece backs, and almost all the never ones have 3 piece backs.

All in all - in most cases the "old" Burnys are better than the ones from after 1987, but the best ones are without doubt the ones from 1980-81

If the L8000 pickup (82-84) -VH4 (84-87) sounds better than the VH1 (87-?) is a matter of taste.

Latest posts

Back