Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I just bought a real Gibson Les Paul Standard
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry NYC
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: I just bought a real Gibson Les Paul Standard Reply with quote

I don't know, maybe I got caught up in this "Buy American" wartime crap. I own 2 of Mike's Love Rocks which I have been upgrading over time & they have been working out very nicely. However, I always had this doubt that "maybe they're not as good as a real Gibson"Since I have never OWNED one I had no basis for comparison . I E-mailed Yoshi about ordering an LS75 with a goldtop. I did not want to wait 4 months but I'm sure it would have been worth it. In the meantime, I came across an UNPLAYED thin neck black LP Standard from the year 2000 [I did not believe it at first, but it's true] for close to $1500. I plugged it in to my Marshall rig today & let it rip. Bottom line: Did it sound good? Yes. Better than Mike's Tokais? After the mods I have been making to them, the sounds are nearly indistinguishable. Are Gibsons worth the price? OH HELL NO! I bought TWO Love Rocks AND FOUR Seymour Duncans PLUS cloth braided wire & new pots for less. Did I make a mistake in buying one? Kind of, but aside from the prohibitively expensive price, I can always sell it if I decide not to keep it.
DELETED

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
beerslinger
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jam occasionally with a couple of chaps , one who owns a Fender Bullet, the other owns a Gibson "The Paul" and they both can't keep they're hands off my Love Rock. They of course are totally unaware of what a Tokai is and are not quite sure where or when it was made. I've told them that it's a custom shop guitar from a disgruntled former Gibson employee, and of course use the obligatory Lawsuit rap
They just respond with blank stares.
Barry NYC
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned an LP Classic + for a short time...just never felt quite right...most of the Tokai LPs I've played did.

You are right. I just took a very expensive lesson to come to the same conclusion.
ned
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay away from the light...
Porsche 911 Racing
Novosel
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a Les Paul freak since forever, and bought a Love Rock LS-60 in the 80's because it was the twin of my original burst I'd sold a decade earlier. At the time I'd never heard of Tokai. Today, I still love going into guitar stores and trying out Pauls, but in all honesty, I've never come across one that has what my LR has all in one package. I'd definitely put it above the production model Les Pauls, but maybe a notch below the Historic line (although the baseball bat neck of the one Historic I tried was a real turn-off to me). "Cherry" will be accompanying me to a vintage guitar show in Seattle later this month, and I'm proud to show her off. No more apologies!
Barry NYC
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Bought another Gibson..... Reply with quote

Sorry guys, I don't come here often to talk about Tokais as I should. I just spent a year with another Gibson Les Paul [Custom] I acquired for $950. this one is an 11 pound boat anchor with a tobacco sunburst [yeccch] finish. It has been refretted. has Sperzel locking keys & a few dings on the top that look like they were filled with melted crayon. Surprisingly, it has a MUCH sweeter tone than the GLP I bought new. I put a gold plated ALU tailpiece, SD SH6 in the bridge & burstbucker in the neck. Once I got past how much I hate the finish, I said "You know what? I see no reason why all my guitars can't peacefully coexist in my collection." My black GLP Standard, however, is still a pig. I'm pissed that I spent $1800 for that guitar & still have to spend more money on it.
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started playing (ages ago) everyone wanted a ?real? Gibson or Fender, but none us could afford more than the cheapest copy (long before Tokai got going). Over the years I slowly realised that expensive stuff is almost always a waste of money ?.overpriced & over-hyped. Yet, that feeling of wanting a ?real one? always remains lol!

Put it another way?.I think I know why you bought the Gibbo, hard to put into convincing words,?but probably same reason I just bought a 78 US Tele. Good luck with the LP-std., give it time, get used to it, & it will probably prove a wonderful guitar .

Ian.
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had always wanted a LP guitar.I was let a cherry Lp from late 80's he bought in London by a friend.And I got very dissappointed,a very heavy guitar(about 5 kg.) and excesive strong sound,not sweet at all.Some time after I went to Gibson main distributor and played a couple of late 90's and while they felt nice I was shocked when I saw target price.Then I bought my Tokais ...and since them.And Tokai LS-70 model was very very near from a Gibbo Standard for a fraction of the price.
tokaiguy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't and will not knock Gibson and Fender, they had some great desighns! But face it ,today and thru the late 80's and 90's they are in the same buisness as Tokai...Replicas! What have they done that was worth a Sh*t since the 60's? They basterdized the original LP and Strat thru the 70's and 80's with 3 bolt necks , huge headstocks, maple necks on LP's? Paaleez! I had a 59' plain top in the 90's paid 25k, sold it for 30k six years later and replaced it with a collection of early 80's LR's. I have aLP Classic that I love but the Tok's are much closer to the feel and look of the 59'. I know the Classic is a 1960 rep with the slim neck but all things considered the Tok is the better replica. It was Tokai that "Kicked them in the ass" to to go back and start making the guitars we all want! So Who's following Who? Play the Tok with pride, anyone who really knows will only have to play it ! TG
kherman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've actually have become obsessed with alternatives.

Jackson usa soloist.- Nope, I bought Carvin Dc models instead.
Gibson LP. - Nope, I bought a Diodati 59q and Fernandes Ravelle Deluxe instead.
Brian Moore MC/1. - Nope, I wanted a piezo equipped guitar with a trem. I went with a Parker Fly Deluxe instead. Now that Carvin offers a Fishman piezo trem, I'd take that over the Parker.
Ibanez Universe. - Nope, I went with a Schecter V-7 and Carvin Dc727.
PRS Custom - Nope, my plan is to get either a Carvin CT, Dean Hardtail, Tokai PR japan, or Cort M1200.

As I said, obsessed with the alternatives.
I really like the "Bang for your Buck" aspect.

Kent
Barry NYC
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some Carvin stuff I like as well. I bought a new Bunny Brunel 5 string bass. Very fine craftsmanship for the money. Too bad they don't retain their value well.
frank thomson
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my gibbys are 83 LPCust and 70 LPDlx....i like them a lot. i can't comment about the LRs...yet...

i hope you like your new gibby. if not, you can always sell it for (usually) what you paid 4 it. [read;perk]
Joe
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tokaiguy,

tokaiguy wrote:
I can't and will not knock Gibson and Fender, they had some great desighns! ... I have aLP Classic that I love but the Tok's are much closer to the feel and look of the 59'. I know the Classic is a 1960 rep with the slim neck but all things considered the Tok is the better replica. It was Tokai that "Kicked them in the ass" to to go back and start making the guitars we all want! So Who's following Who? Play the Tok with pride, anyone who really knows will only have to play it ! TG

yes, I'm thinking the same. For the money I spent on my 320 I even could have bought a Gibbo, but I wanted no Gibbo. Today Gibson ist just a name. A Name which was bought by a few people. Shurely, an old (58-60) Les Paul is very desirable to me, but of course I will never be able to pay that amount of asked money. I'm no lawyer or dentist or...

The people who built these famous bursts do not belong to Gibson today, even the tools and machines stayed in the old plant at Kalamazoo, they started a new brand, The Heritage as we all know.

So Gibson is nowadays just a small Nameplate on a headstock to me, see how long they needed at Gibson to make the Les Paul "right", first time is 2003.

No way.

I have an old Melody Maker from the 60's which I love and there are a lot of fine new Gibsons on the shelf, but for the asked price they stay there if it's according to me.

I play my Tokais with pride.

Have mercy

Joe
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People talk a lot of crap about 'copies' and 'real thing', but in reality they're just labels. What would have happened if Martin had copyrighted the dreadnought design? Is every dreadnought considered a copy? And how can oyu copyright a musical instrument anyway?

I think replica designs are just good old fashioned capitalism at work in a highly conservative market. I can name several companies who beat gibson at their own game these days, but unfortunately the 'real thing' nonsense carries a lot of weight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: