Is this forum dying?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Just wondering....

No more news. No more deals. "End of History" as this nice prof with the japanese name from Harvard put it some years ago?

Many people apparently went to tgp...

Or is it all my fault? :p

Rupert

All forums lives from the members.
It is a give and a take.
Some members give ... and take..
... and some members simply do take only the benefits from the forums .....

well, of course you are right.

I just took guitars...

you always contributed. I never did. :p

R

You might wonder why I joined this forum in the first place.

Gottfried sold me a neck and a body of an '84 TE around a year ago. I fell in love with Tokai's outstanding quality.

By now I own around 70+ Tokais.

I will not give up collecting Tokais. As opposed to other members in this forum I do not make a living out of long-standing relationships with Tokai.

I just collect. A few months ago I posted that I "believe it's much better to invest in good guitars;...".

Rupert

I go in cycles. I spend more time here when I'm on a "Tokai kick".

I've typically spent more time at TGP then here. although I did join here first.

My interests aren't Tokai or even MIJ specific, and TGP is just more well rounded.

I do appreciate what this forum brings to the table and will always spend some time here.

rgrafend said:
Just wondering....

No more news. No more deals. "End of History" as this nice prof with the japanese name from Harvard put it some years ago?

Many people apparently went to tgp...

Or is it all my fault? :p

Rupert

Whats TGP?

magentaplacenta said:
A little too "cork sniffer" for my tastes.

Oh there's plenty of that here too......but it seems to be more of genuine interest rather than pompous displays of perceived technical knowledge over there.

Who cares about how many pores per square inch in a Brazilian rosewood board versus a Honduran piece of wood. Play the **** thing and shut the F up.

marcusnieman said:
Who cares about how many pores per square inch in a Brazilian rosewood board versus a Honduran piece of wood. Play the **** thing and shut the F up.

Well, one of the reasons this is great forum is because we've got people who do know how many pores, others who know how many dollars, and we've got people who play brilliantly. We may even have a few who excel at everything.

Sadly, I'm thoroughly average on all counts. But I'm very glad to be able dip into all the great stuff that goes on here and maybe even learn a bit. Let's enjoy a bit of variety eh?

bunbury said:
marcusnieman said:

Well, one of the reasons this is great forum is because we've got people who do know how many pores, others who know how many dollars, and we've got people who play brilliantly. We may even have a few who excel at everything.

Sadly, I'm thoroughly average on all counts. But I'm very glad to be able dip into all the great stuff that goes on here and maybe even learn a bit. Let's enjoy a bit of variety eh?

Oh I agree completely....don't get me wrong. What I meant to say is that we don't have the pontification and overuse of technical knowledge on this site that exists on others - simply as a tool to profess one's knowledge about the inane (though important) aspects of a guitar that may or may not directly relate to what we buy them for (at least me, anyway) playing.

I'll use this analogy again....it's like being a gynecologist - if I knew every aspect of the "instrument" as he (she) does right down to the last minute detail, I'd never look at it the same way again and just simply enjoy it for what it is.

It is also a matter of what you're really expecting from this forum ... 8) 8)

If Rupert is expecting one "big deal" per week and it doesn't happen because people love to keep their beloved axes ... he might be right !! 8)

In my case I love to get in touch with people all over the world, read their opinions on multiple guitar models - although I'm not interested in all guitars in these pages - and I am still learning about the differences, nuances in manufacturing and specs ... and I enjoy realizing how versatile and well established knowledge can be ... :wink:
... and it's so wonderful to have the chance to see pics of gorgeous guitars ... :lol:

I love to be here ... and ... there's life in the old dog yet !!! :lol: :lol:

Roger

What a great thread to say hello again after some time off!

I've been around here a lot, but not much the last months. It does not have anything to do with the forum, it's just because right now I have a lot of other things to do and don't spend that much time on reading, researching, buying and selling MIJs. This is due to business things and things like sports I do a lot now, but also due to the fact that I have a nice little collection that I really don't want to sell any one from again. I've owned 2 or 3 times the guitars I have now, but those are keepers.

And this is also due to the fact that the farer you go in the MIJ field, the rarer and the more expensive the guitars are that you still do want to have. And as long as you are not really rich ... :( :wink:

So for me, I'm checking the forum every 2 to 4 weeks, not every day like I did earlier. But I'm sure, the times will be a cha-a-anging again :D

Hi Roger!

Roger.

Of course you are right. It is damned f-g difficult to part after you've touched/played them.

I just got this SG-155 from Greece. Absolutely amazing!

I also spent some time during my vacation reading (or mainly looking at) "The beauty of the burst". That's cork-sniffing, alright.

Altough, very interesting cork-sniffing. Highly recommendable reading.

But as Gottfried said: some people always give, some people always take. I have to admit that I took a lot from this forum and did not give a lot (beside many pics).

So I had this really stupid idea:

- To my understanding Ned is running this BB and the server for this forum without real support from us (beside the few bucks he get's from Mark&Co)

- I want this to change, so I suggest the following, and I start it now:

I donate an '81 ST50 (white) and an '79 Les Paul Reborn (black) to the forum. My idea (if Ned agrees of course) is that everybody pays a small amount to the forum for them and I'll send both babes to Ned in advance. Of course I pay for the transport.

Ned in exchange becomes the guy who takes care of them and opens a topic where we all can see them, together with the list of people who contributed.

I am sure Texas has the right climate (similar to Japan) for them to come home.

Sorry Ned, I did not ask you before. But I understand you are in Texas, and Texas is big. So you've got plenty of space for our beauties!

Let's start a Tokai museum!

Please flame me asap if you don't like the idea!

Cheers! Rupert

Well that's one idea. Another is just to encourage more people to contribute. I've learned a huge amount on here - thanks to everyone who has helped with that. The amount of money I sent to Ned is a fraction of what I've saved from having enough knowledge not to buy fake Tokais, or to know which ones are worth buying.

Everyone who has learned useful stuff on here should make a contribution, unless they are really short of cash, in which case they should send something when they do have a little spare. Or when they sell a Tokai and make a profit?

I'm glad someone brought this up. About 6 months ago I thought this forum was dying. There wasn't much happening. Seems to have picked up now and that is good news.

As long as the in-fighting is kept within the bounds of private messages and emails then I'll be continuing to visit.

oldflame said:
I'm glad someone brought this up. About 6 months ago I thought this forum was dying. There wasn't much happening. Seems to have picked up now and that is good news.

As long as the in-fighting is kept within the bounds of private messages and emails then I'll be continuing to visit.

Dying? Guess I must have missed it during it's heyday when it was alive. Since I've been on board, it seems lively enough because I've gleaned quite a bit of info from the posts and hopefully contributed things useful to others - along with some humor, good nature and even jumping to some of the more spirited conversations (aka rants, arguments - I don't know if I'd call it "in-fighting").

What is it that seems to be missing? More guitars for sale? More pictures? Less griping (which in all of my days here, there seems to be not much of compared to some other forums). I guess everyone has an opinion about how things should be........for me, I think it's fine and has been all along.

What say the rest of ye?

Marcus mate. Believe me, where I come from, we call it in-fighting.

Still enuff of that. I agree with Stratman. Its alive and kicking. Especially as he has contributed to over 500 posts since last June.

Strat - You must be single mate :D

Latest posts

Back