Tokai ST-50 questions here..

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here?s the latest news of my ST50(?).
Headstock has been sanded clear, unfortunately there was two, too deep scratches where P.O. had scrubbed off the logo that I couldn?t take them away. But they are not that visible, fortunately. You cannot tell by looking 1meter away.
So, it has been lacquered and polished. Here?s the result:

12.JPG

Looking good, me thinks! Funny things is that it looks now cleaner than other sides of the neck...

I have also taken the frets off. I have a set of Dunlop High Jumbo?s here
which I?m about to install pretty soon. It still needs some preparation, before fretting.

Now, I?d like to hear some opinions. Should I try to imitate Tokai logo there, or leave it blank? Or possibly my name (which I have on some other guitars)? Or maybe just write Stratocaster, because theres no verification of the origin and it has fender parts as well.

Get a CBS three layer pickguard with three singlecoils. This is what it once came with. If you are more comfortable with humbuckers, go for the one you've got. I'd say that guitar is a 84' Goldstar Sound, a copy of the 62' Strat.

Well, I got in touch with the guy who sold sold this guitar to me.
He said it has been told to him at the shop that this is mid eighties Tokai (and he recalls it being a Tokai Goldstar sound/not 7okai, or springysound and yes, he scraped off the text himself... what a bugger!!)
which had black pickguard with 3 single coils at the time taken from ?79
standard Fender strat.

Later on it had pearloid pickguard installed with one very uncool humbucker with really loud output. DC resistance is almost 14K.
I think I?ll use Tokai MK2 paf which comes from my LS70, with chrome cover. It looks quite interesting with pearloid and black s/c pickups.
And should not be too punchy with singlecoils, it?s dc resistance is 8,2K.

Here?s some of the parts together:
13.JPG

Maybe I should get black volume&tone knobs and pup switchknob.

What do you think of it?

And does anyone have a good picture(s) of Goldstar sound headstock?
I?d like to get few so that I could copy the original logo & text there.

Thanks

Marko

Back