New (to me) Burny Supergrade

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Empty Set

Reaction score
Picked this up a couple weeks ago; after cleaning and setting it up, I finally got around to taking some pictures.

Really appreciate the community here for all the information, and a few of you who gave me some advice. Thanks!

Anything you experts can tell me about this axe would be appreciated. The only thing I know for sure is that it's a Burny and that it's sweet. I read everything I could find on these Super Grades, but there seem to be as many exceptions to the rules, as those that follow the rules.

- Rosewood board, solid mahog back, plain solid maple top
- No heelcap (that I can tell)
- ?? Piece back - I don't have an eye for Mahogany grain, I guess
- Gib style Bell TRC
- "Medium" tenon
- No serial number
- Kluson-style Tuners, unmarked
- Fret edge binding
- Pots read "58111_1," "78111_1," etc.; also "504042"... whatever that means
- Grey wiring harness, smallish green caps
- Pickups colored goldish on back

A few pictures:

Top_latex.jpg

Top_noon4x.jpg

Back_late4x.jpg

Controlcav2x.jpg

Pot.jpg

I bought this off eBay; here's a link to the seller's album, as posted in the original auction. (Hope that's okay to link.) Many more detailed images:

Burny Super Grade

After adjusting the truss rod and cleaning her up, she's become my favorite. I had planned on switching out all the electronics... but I like it just the way it is.

Thanks again folks, and again, anything you guys can tell me about this (year, model, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

yo empty, I'm no Burny expert, even though I've owned over 2 dozen, and the Burny plain top 'Super Grade' Model is my favorite Les Paul ever.
That is one sweeeeet looking RLG, welcome to the club :wink:
Oh, and I have never dreamed of changing out pups on any Burny; they all sound just like they're supposed to sound, all a little different but they all sound great :)

Here's my #1 & #2 8) I sincerely hope your's is as good as these :D
HisashiToshi2.jpg

EmptySet,
your Burny looks just lovely!
Congrats, phantastic looking guitar. :)

@MIJvintage:
Your 2 plainies also look rather nice. :)

I agree, the Fernandes/Burny-PUs are rather good, nevertheless i replaced them on one of my Burnys and will replace tehm on my other Burny. Not because they are bad (in deed they are good for stock PUs), but because i like a harder sound with more punch and less smoothness. It is just a matter of taste.
If i'd play mainly blues i wouldn't think about changing.
But i prefer harder rock, and for my kind of music there are better PUs like Dimarzio AirNorton.

CYah
B.III

It's seem to be a mid '80 due the small green capacitors on the pots. Of all the japanese plaintop LPs, I like Burnies the best.
The colours are great. I'm actually waiting for one I should get the next week, but it's a flame one.
I'll post the pics after I get it.

The pots don't seem to have a date code.
The 504 seems to mean 50 0000 = 500,000 = 500K
I've seen these pots in Greco and Stagg guitars.
504072 Volume (Audio) and 504042 Tone (Linear)

http://www.guitarattack.com/repair/repair.htm

Thanks for the replies & info, folks. Been spending too much time playing to post back.

So - fairly safe to say, 83-86 or so RLG-50? Were there any plaintops other than the 50s?

Nice guitar

A 1982-84 RLG 50 in OCS (original cherry sunburst). with L8000 grey wire pickups. These guitars was "faded sunburst" from the start, thats why they are called "original CS. The non faded ones was just named CS- cherry sunburst.

Latest posts

Back