Mikes Music in Canada !!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave & Gary, you're ill-informed wankers, that's all. I don't work for Gibson, couldn't give a rat's *** about Mike's Music, other than his bad press speaks for itself - and there are enough negative postings to warrant questioning his honesty or awareness.

Fact is, I've owned lots of Gibson & Fender copies over the years. Some were okay, some were ***** and got trashed. But as an current owner of between 40-45 guitars, plus the well over 200 prior that I have owned and played professionally (along with the hundreds I worked on over the years)... I think I have a pretty good position to base my opinions. And make no bones about it - I've owned or played a lot of pigs too... but they have been from every manufacturer from Peavey to old Valley Arts to PRS's. People like you just like to slam the big boys because it's popular. But that's pretty lame.

You can say whatever you want about my motivations for slamming you guys, but the fact remains: you're playing copies. Imitations. They ain't the real thing and if you have to keep telling yourselves that they're better in order to justify why you buy and play them... well, have at it. After all, I see SO MANY big artists out there playing Tokai.... gosh, I can't count that high!!!!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'guy patterson']

uh,

are mike's tokai's really made by the company...i'm intending on buying one from him soon, just need to know! but, i don't think u can really fake a talbo....

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Kenny']

Yes, the Tokai's that Mike sells are manufactured by Tokai in either there Japanese or Korean facility. AFAIK all Talbos are made in Japan - of course I could be wrong.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Ned']

dAVE ,YOU ARE A PHONEY TOO. Those guitars suck.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'guy']

Guy is an idiot. Simple as that. If you don't like Tokais, then why do you come here?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'gibsonhater']

Not much to say about Mike recently? It's been quiet here since his run ended. My 2 LE's have been holding up quite nicely. They look good, sound great & still smell like fresh poly.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Barry NYC']

Tarron65 on ebay had a lefty tokai strat with a maple neck. I won the bid. Before I bid I emailed to verify the neck was maple, if not advise me. No reply otherwise so I went ahead. The guitar was from Mikes Music not private. I got nailed for tax over the advertised cost because I live in Canada. Mike made up for about half of it with strings and shipping. The guitar arrived with a rosewood neck! I have an 80's with one. It's now on consignment.Watch out for Tarron65, she doesn't respond and must be getting paid by Mike

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Don']

I have bought from Mike 4 different times. All the guitars have been great. I was one of the ones that E mailed Richard to ask him how his was Japanese, when three of the same Love Rocks were sitting next to me and I knew they were Korean as Mike told me personally. I think Richard misunderstood when he was told they were patterned after the Japanese models. If he had been doing his homework, he would have seen the prices for the Jap Love Rocks were about 1000 more. Nonetheless, they are great guitars for the money. Mike was upfront with me.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'BRUCE HENDERSON']

This "Mike" guy is a jerk. I had emailed him in regard to trading in a Dillion fixed-bridge I once owned for one with a trem (or a trade plus the difference, etc....)

Well...he NEVER got back to me...nice customer service, pal.

Turns out, I used that crap Dillion (plus a Tokai Love Rock) when upgrading to a Gibson Les Paul Custom. The store I dealt with was very helpful in giving me top trade-in allowance for what are basically "beginner's" guitars.....

"Mike"....since you blew me off, I've purchased a SECOND Gibson Les Paul Custom.

Let this be a lesson to any retailer out there. I had lots of money to spend, but apparently, "Mike" wanted nothing to do with it......
Treat the customer with respect.......

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Tony']

I just received the TokaiJ55 that I won on e-bay from Mike's in Canada.Mike treated me very nicely on the phone. I paid him on the Friday A.M. before the Labour Day weekend and the guitar arrived exactly one week to the day from when I paid him. I didn't expect it to arrive so soon, with the holiday and all. Obviously he got it out immediatly.The Tokai label reads TJ55-CH.It has a made in Korea sticker on the back base of the headstock.
The guitar measures 15 7/8 on the lower boat and the scale is 25 1/4.Nut width is 1 11/16.
The top is solid spruce.The back and sides are nicely bookmatched mahogany. There is a b-w-b-w-b strip down the back.The saddle is high and the action is low.Nut and saddle are plastic.Tokai logo is the same as on my 80's Love Rock.Pickgaurd is tortoise in the Gibson teardrop style.Head stock is the same as the new "US" compliant Love Rocks'.Frets are jumbo and there are 8 fretboard dots the same as the Montana made J45's.It has a Gibson style top belly rosewood,(it almost looks Brazilian) bridge. The bottom of the soundbox where the endpin resides is a bit rounder than a Gibson.Inside the guiter is very clean,I don't think the braces are scalloped,they appear to be "A" shaped like a late 50's Gibson.It has a french heel, not rounded like most Gibsons.Tuners are replica Klusons with nothing written on them.It sounds pretty good for a new guitar.All in all I would say a pretty nice guitar and best of all it's a Tokai.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: beerslinger on 2001-09-08 23:46 ]</font>

:oops:Excuse my geography,Mike's Music is in Thorold Ontario.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: beerslinger on 2001-09-08 23:41 ]</font>

If you check out Tarron65 auctions,you can
sometimes see the Mike's Music tag attached
to the headstock. Are Tarron65 and Mike's
Music one and the same? Why the disguise?

<a HREF=http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1467299933> The photo of the headstock looks doctored</a> ANt thoughts? I though the newer Strat copies had slightly different headstocks.

Winnie

No it doesn't look doctored. It looks like it is in a case. Check out his other pictures, you can see it better. Do your homework.

I just bought a guitar from Mikes Music and was treated with outmost respect. He gave me a great deal and a full description of the guitar. Also, the shipping was so fast it knocked me off guard.

Thanks again Mike! Your strats are unbelievable!

Thank god for Tokai...keep up the good work Ned!

Jason,

Thanks for the kind words, trying my best to bring you guys the latest information and solve this date thing.

On 2001-09-25 19:21, Jason13 wrote:
No it doesn't look doctored. It looks like it is in a case. Check out his other pictures, you can see it better. Do your homework.

Well Jason, I disagree, and your manner is offensive. I asked a straightforward question. This guitar auction was ended early for some reason, and the othe pictures show the current headstock configuration.

Winnie

I bid on a tokai (korean strat) on ebay a couple of weeks ago, and when it arrived it had flaws, the neck didnt fit well in the body, the nut was a little crooked. so i sent the guitar back to mike at a cost of $38.00. I faxed Mike the postal receipt, showing proof thet i mailed it back, asking him to send another guitar, while the other was enroute to him. it's been two days, i have not heard from him. When i do, i'll let you know. Meanwhile i have nearly $500.00 tied up in a guitar that i don't have right now, waiting for mike to respond and send the guitar we talked about on the phone. if it all works out, and mike treats me fair, i'll let everyone here know, and my froends at harmony central, who are a lot of mikes customers. this is how i found out about mike, by reading some posts at harmony central, and one felloow reccomended Mike.

So I went on that reccomendation, maybe, there store was closed yesterday, but i'll be waiting for mike to tell me he has mailed the guitar we talked about.

Richard @ [email protected]

Latest posts

Back