ATE50 / 55

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Haze

Reaction score
Hi . Im thinking about picking up one of these. How do they compare to japanese fenders. I can live with the headstock shape. I saw a double bound one somewhere online, but have never tried one. any advice appreciated.

Hi there.

I have the edge bound TTE55 which I bought second hand but it is a fairly recent one with the the modified headstock. I've heard some opinions that the Tokai Tele's (Breezy's) aren't quite as good a replica as the Springy's or Love Rocks. Don't know why this would be and as I've stated before my stock Breezy is to my ears the best sounding guitar in my small collection - it just sounds very 'alive'. As for comparisions with Japanese Fender it compares favorably with an 80s Fender Japan '62 Strat replica I had and I believe that Tokai now build the Japanese Fenders so build quality should be identical. Only difference might be that some Japanese Fender models come with USA pickups.

I'm no expert but hope this helps.

IMHO the Breezies beat most Fender Teles. I had a few of both, but by now sold all Fenders as they just don't come close to my TE50s, TE70s, TE80s. The TE120 actually beats all Masterbuilt ones I tried in both quality of manufacturing and sound.

However, I can also recommend to swap the pickus in a TE50 for SD stacks. Amazing! Of course only if you need a player, don't do it if you collect.

Cheers. R

I saw Bill Kirchen playing a Tele with Hot Rails...sounded awesome and still twangy enough for me!

This link is not recommender for those of a humourless condition!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoSWTSVc_fE

Back