Latest Arrival from the land of the rising sun

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisheyes

Reaction score
I took delivery of this baby

An early '82 JV02 Fender Japan ST57-85

body2.jpg

Neckdate.jpg

Steel Block Tremolo and Nitro Paint :D

Bodystamp.jpg

Fretboard has a 9.5" Radius which makes it a lot easier to play and well worn fretboard - proper relicing

headstock.jpg

Body1.jpg

3 way switch is a begger to ballance to get the in-between tones though ;-)

Chris

I think I would rather have that than a Tokai, just by own bias. Does anyone own both and could say what is better?

I owned this late 1991 ST57-95T and I would say that the higher end Tokais & the higher spec Fender Japans are generally, fairly comparable

This one had CTS pots that were coded within 4 weeks of the penciled neck date

One of the best maple necks I've ever owned :)

57birdseyeMaple.jpg

ST-57NoFlash1.jpg

Ducati said:
I think I would rather have that than a Tokai, just by own bias. Does anyone own both and could say what is better?

Ducati

I can answer that question as I have a varied collection of Strats:-

Tokai ST100 - Springysound with one piece swamp ash body - This baby is THE best '54 style strat there. It needed improving by having a Steel Block Tremolo added though. With Handmade David Barfuss pickups made with the same wire and magnets as a true '54 it is a delight to play and really good bright tone and sustain. This guitar is gorgeous and very very light. There are photo's of it on the forum if you care to search

Fender Japan '83 ST62-115
This was the top of the line - All USA parts and steel block tremolo, Nitro paint. Really nice rosewood neck and is as close to a real '62 as you'll get.

Now the new ST57 is more playable than the above because it's got a 9.5" radius on the fretboard.

They are all different and suit different styles of music.

The Tokai is the Daddy though

I have a Tokai ST80 and a Fender JV ST85 as far as build quality, playability & sound goes there is not a lot of difference between them. Which one is my favourite depends on what day of the week it is, today it's the Fender :wink:

Which of the Fender Japan Strats & Teles have nito lacquer? I'm sure all the ones I've tried have been poly. My edge bound Tele (A serial number) is poly.

villager said:
the main difference between the JV85/115 and the ST-80/100 is the neck shape..the tokais are a V and the fenders a fat C

Mark, will you stop posting on here and upload some pics of your new stock!! :wink:

heh put up 10 on the site yesterday....6 more to go on when the sun comes out....

also look here for something rather special...

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a278/generalunrest/Tokai%20Springy%20Custom%20Built%20ST-100%20120%20%201980/

villager said:
heh put up 10 on the site yesterday....6 more to go on when the sun comes out....

also look here for something rather special...

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a278/generalunrest/Tokai%20Springy%20Custom%20Built%20ST-100%20120%20%201980/

Stunning! but not really me :)

Back