Mikes Music in Canada !!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are several Anonymous posters on the list.

Dan you are totally wrong ! There are KOREAN all mahogany guitars in other stores in Ontario Canada. They come from the same distributor Active Music as do Mikes. Only difference is Mike's are labeled LE's while the other stores are not.

NOW ... BACK TO THE ORGIGINAL QUESTION NO ONE SEEMS TO BE ABLE TO ANSWER !!!

WHAT .... BESIDES THE PRINTED TAG, TRUSS ROD COVER, ETC. MAKES MIKE's Guitars Limited Editions ???

I challange everyone on this list to prove there is any real difference and answer the above question.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Ned']

I don't mind the spirited discussion here but lets drop the foul language.

If I continue to see this kind of language and accusations from people hiding behind the anonymous posting I will require everyone to register before posting. Please don't abuse the honor system.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'luis a. varela']

There are no Korean models with mahogany, they are made from Alder and Maple for the neck.

This is right from the Tokai source.

Nice try though, anonymous. And easy on the swearing! It makes you look dumber than you already are!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Barry']

NED, first let me say I am not the anonymous poster that uses any foul language. I agree with you, anyone that abuses your rules should be removed. You run an excellent board that is helping everyone find out the truth about Tokai Guitars and helping the consumer become an informed consumer. And NED, if you know the answer to the question I keep asking, would you please post what you know so far ?

Dan, AGAIN YOU ARE WRONG. You insist that there are no Korean models with mahogany. Mike's is selling them and so are other Ontario stores.
Who is your Tokai source ?
It is now apparent to us all that you have no idea what you are talking about. The evidence is in. There are Korean guitars made with Mahogany necks and bodies and perhaps some with Alder and Maple. But to have Mike call the mahogany ones Limited Editions, and the other stores that carry the mahogany ones not call them limited editions, posses some serious questions about the representation of these guitars. I challenged all to tell me the differnce between the Limited Editions Mike's is selling to the mahogany models found in other stores and no one so far has. For you Dan to continue to insist that there are no Korean models with mahogany makes you look ill informed. Mike's will admit his mahogany guitars are Korean made.
The question I have posed has not been resolved.
This is about the representation of the Korean made mahogany models. It appears that a batch of guitars where made in the Korean Factory with mahogany wood perhaps from a request from Mike's Music to the Canadian distributor Active Music. Active distriutes to all stores in Ontario. Nothing wrong with that .... good choice of wood. I have personally seen the same wood choice on love rocks in other stores in Ontario Canada but they are not called limited editions. So stick to the question ... what makes Mike's LE's different besides the printed tag and truss rod cover ? That's all I want to know. As a consumer interested in guitars, I want to know the difference to be able to buy intelligently.

If I new the answer I would have spoken up long ago. Sorry.

Anonymous does not seem to comprehend the fact that the Limited Editions are the only Korean Tokai guitars made with Mahogany bodies. My source is the source who supplies all the Tokais in Canada, Active Music.

Why don't you call Active Music for yourself and stop wasting everyones time. Do you even have any Tokai's?

My Limited Edition is made with mahogany, has a serial number, and printed Truss Rod. The wood is great and it is 1 piece. I don't know why you claim that the body is 4 pieces of wood. You are trying to knock Tokai guitars and it aint workin. I also got a hang tag with my guitar that no other Tokai comes with, Korean or Japanese. The guitar came with a case and full warranty.

You should get one before you knock one. Do yourself a favor. If I can get one here in the US, you should be able to too. And if you're from Canada, just go to Mikes Music or Ring Music in Toronto and try one.

All I know is that my guitar kicks *** live and the color is amazing, not to mention the strong and quiet pickups.

Limited or not, I wouldn't give up my guitar for any Gibson out there. Call me stupid or whatever you want, but I know what I like!

Peace.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Dan']

Just got my Gold Top Tokai Guitar from Mikes Music in Canada. He told me it was Korean and that it was a Japanese modeled instrument. I can see how some people can be misled by his statements. I still went ahead and purchased the guitar.

What can I say? Perfect set up, great action and one of the best guitars I have ever played. The neck is a little thinner than I thought it would be. I was expecting a bat. The weight is just under 9 pounds and it sustains forever.

I had the guy at Mikes Music put on a set of 11's for me, and he did it for free. The serial number is under the finish and stamped in Gold. The body from what I can tell is 2 pieces and the finish seems to be a little better than the cheaper Korean guitars. The headstock is an exact Gibson 1958 shape. How is Tokai aloud to do this? Am I allowed to go get some guitars made exactly like Gibson or Fender and Sell them with my name on it? Please answer me Ned!

I am blown away overall and am showing it off this weekend at my club show.

Why is Mikes Music the only ones selling these?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Gary']

I haven't posted this on the site yet. But Gary, no you are not. Tokai is no longer allowed to import the Love Rocks models into North America.

Dan, the number on the back of the headstock of your LE is not a serial number it is a model number. Sorry dude.

Dan ... your source Active Music sells the same Korean guitars to many dealers. That is why you will find mahogany love rocks without the printed tags in other stores. So it begs the question ... why are Mike's guitars LE's and not theirs ? No one so far has been able to explain or prove a difference ... and do you really think Active will tell you if there is no real difference ?
My none limited edition is made with mahogany, has a number but has no scribed truss rod cover. Do you get it yet ? I can scribe my truss rod cover, print up some tags and call it a Limited Edition !!! This is a Mike's Music LE. Not a Tokai LE ! Hence the MM. Think hard ... you will
get it if you try ! I have never knocked Tokai guitars ... my whole and only issue is to find out the real difference in Mike's so called Limited Editions and those mahogany guitars found in other stores that are not labeled LE's.
Could Mike be pulling a fast one here ?????????

Gary .. Mike's is not the only one selling the guitar you just bought. There are many others stores in Canada selling the exact same guitar.
By the way ..... Mike didn't label it a Limited Edition did he ?

Hey ! What's up here? Now check this out. I put my Love Rock LE up for auction last week on e-bay. I receive e-mail questions questions concerning where it was made , etc. I answered all honestly telling everyone it was Korean. The winning high bidder e-mail a number of times during the auction and bid 4 times before he won, outbidding at the end. The winning bidder now hasn't contacted me and I beleive is never going to pay up. A FAKE! Another Love Rock is up for auction now. Up against a Mike's music auction like mine was,and the same fake bidder is high bid on his. The funny thing is he isn't bidding on the Mike's Music auction, which has a lower reserve. And he didn't bid on the LE from Mike's music when my guitar was up for auction. I contacted the seller of the current auction and he said he had been contacted by another seller about the same thing.All having to do with the auction of Love Rocks.
My question is for Dan, aka? ,you made a comment about my guitar when the auction was current on this message board. How were you so sure it was my guitar when my e-mail address isn't part of my ebay id? The only person that knows my ebay id is Mike Palermo of Mike's Music because I bid on his guitar.Dan , you didn't e-mail me during the auction so how did you know this info? Someone is playing unfairly here.What a sad case...

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Richard']

Richard, what are you trying to say? That Mike's Music told me to bid on your guitar? Your username is rgee is it not? You won Mikes auction for the LE didn't you? You re-listed it under rgee did you not?

Just because you misrepresented your guitar as neither Japanese or Korean and probably because the high bidder checked out this site and saw your dishonesty and lack of info...he probably retracted the bid...as would I.

Paranoia will destroy ya.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Dan']

Sorry Dan, He asked the question and I answered him straight up.Made in Korea. And why are you following Mike's auctions? I won that guitar 2 1/2 months ago and didn't list my id here. How are you so sure it was my guitar.AND he did not retract the bid, he won.If he would have retracted ,my guitar would have been sold. He's just not paying,but is bidding on the same guitar from someone else which is clearly a MM2001 LE and states is Korean also. So that blows your theory. Nowhere listed on this site is my ebay user ID, Dan. I want to know how you know it? I know that webtv user, which is how he is listed with e-bay, allows you to change e-mail account names as many times as you want. They just have to be differnt. This person is probably changing ID's everytime he racks up too many non-paying bidder warnings. What slime. Check it out everyone.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Richard']

Actually, I called all the stores listed on this site and they in fact stated that my guitar is in fact limited. They could not give me a guitar with mahogany body and neck for that price. Sorry Anonymous, I don't know where you are getting your "facts" from. All other Korean guitars are built using Alder and Maple, not mahogany. You can only get this wood in the Japanese models and the 2001 Limited Edition.

I love my guitar and am going to buy a Gold Top now.

Gary ... I was in another store in Ontario ... not Mike's and low and behold, there were Love Rocks ( Not LE's ) made out of mahogany. Neck and body! That is where I get my facts from!

Gary, you are SO wrong. I have two Epi LP's and they both have mahogany backs with maple scarf-joint necks. I have seen some Epi's that are not made in the Samick factory that had alder backs, but those were a minority. I believe that those models were made either in the Cort Korean factory or at the Czeckoslovakian plant that sells primarliy to the European market. How do I know? Was a dealer for many years and a repairman and I've seen hundreds over 10 years.

The Korean Tokai is made in the Samick factory, just like the Epiphones that all you good folks seem to ***** about. Same materials, same specs (and I have seen Korean and Jap Love Rocks, so I know) and same hardware, same poly finish. And in fact, many of the Love Rocks that I have seen have sycamore tops, not maple like most Epi's that I have ever seen/worked on. You don't have to believe me, but I've seen them, and I know.

I amazed at the amount of "marketing" b.s. you folks will swallow. Especially since you buy these things for the same price as you can get an Epi from Musician's Friend or Sam Ash.

As to the Japanese models, I've seen those too. They are pretty nice, but I'm still inclined to buy a Gibson which will hold value...

[Anonymously Posted by: 'puzzled']

Lots of bull on this site. I spoke directly with Active Music (with Mel Koffman, the owner) today regarding the Korean Tokais and he said that all these messages from Anonymous are full of crap. THERE ARE NO KOREAN TOKAIS WITH MAHOGANY BODIES AND/OR NECKS. PERIOD. END OF STORY.

Anonymous should write for tabloids!

I ask all visitors to call every store in North America and ask them if they can even get a Mahogany Korean Love Rock by Tokai.

Gary, Why are you falling for all this Tokai slamming discussion. Its obvious that these postings are from Gibson or people who are jealous of the success of Tokai and especially Mike's Music.

I spoke with Mike about all this and he actually found humor in it. He explaied how there is a lot of resentment from other so-called dealers (Tokai and Non-Tokai) in Canada and the USA.

The LE's are amazing guitars. Period!

I have one of each of the 2001's and they have been through hell and back for months...and still stay in Tune!

Tokai, in my opinion took the Gibson Les Paul and stripped away the worst and focused on the best of the Les Pauls...(the thin neck, great feel, flamed tops, etc) and offered it for an amazing price.

Stop trying to slam Mikes Music.

If it wasn't for Mikes Music, a lot of people wouldn't even know what Tokai guitars are...including me.

Mike, if you read this, I just wanna say Thanks for the deals!

I owed you one...or three!!! How about throwin in a set of strings next time? Huh? hahahaha

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Dave']

Gary you can say what you wish and so can Mel. But EYE'S DON'T LIE ..... there are mahogany love rocks, body and neck that are not tagged LE's. How do you explain the one that was on E-Bay ..... their was a Love Rock on their a few weeks back made with a mahogany body, but it was not tagged an LE ? If I could attach a picture to this message, I would upload pics to show you and then what would you have to say ?

Latest posts

Back