Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions for Greco guitars please post here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco
View previous topic :: View next topic  
megl
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of questions:

What models are 'Mint Collection'? ... or: How do I determine if a given model is a Mint Collection?

There's a lot of talk about the models from the 80's ... but what about 70's Greco's? They are often equal in price to the low-end 80's - but what about quality?

Thanks

/megl
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mint Collection runs from about 1982 to around 1991 and most of them have a open o ( a o with a bit of the top missing) in the Greco logo.
The open o Mint Collection Grecos run from around 1982 to around 1990.
The last mention of the Mint Collection I can see in the Greco catalogues is 1988 and after that Greco were pushing their non Gibson designs (like Ibanez) more and some of the last Greco Gibson copies don't have serials probably because they were made with no definite release date in mind.
By the late 80's Kanda Shokai had lost interest in making the Greco Gibson copies probably due to low sales plus Kanda Shokai had a lot of other models that were more important in terms of sales and they had Fender Japan as well.
The quality depends on price and the price is usually in the model number, the higher the model number the higher the price the higher the features.
The lower end Greco Gibson copies are still made from Mahogany and not like some Chinese Gibson copies that are made from Agathis or whatever.
What you usually don't get on the lower end Greco Gibson copies is well matched or special feature maple tops, nitro finishes, fret edge binding and top of the line pickups.
Most of the Mint Collection have the 50's Gibson long tenon neck joint.
The Super Reals come before the Mint Collection from late 1979-1982 and they are perhaps the most accurate Greco Gibson copies although a lot of them don't have the 50's Gibson long tenon neck joint they have a neck joint based on the 70's Gibsons.
The 1970's Greco Gibson copies have bolt on necks like 70's Ibanez Gibson copies in the first half of the 70's and then have set necks in the last half of the 70's and are maybe less accurate copies and some have chambered bodies (the chambered bodies seem to run up to 1982 on low end models) like Gibson is doing now and the set neck ones have neck joints based on the 70's Gibsons.
megl
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

japanstrat, thanks a lot for your reply!

About the open o's: Is it only a Mint Collection feature? Or did they make other models with the open o as well?

The extras you mention in the higher end models are not so important for me - playability and sound is key! Pickups can easily be changed. Nitro might be nice though Can you recommend specific low end models to look out for?

The 70 models: This might be blasphemic to say, but I really like the chambered bodies. I certainly want a set neck with a long tennon, so I should look out for second half 70's I guess. I've seen some really nice Greco's from 77 to 79

/megl
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The open o was on the first Greco Mint Collection series around 1981/1982 and the open o stops around 1990.
At the same time Greco also made some Grecos with closed o's and also made some closed o's in the early 1990's.
So I would say a Mint Collection has a open o but other people might say that the closed o's from the early 1990's are also Mint Collections it's hard to say exactly as Kanda Shokai who made the Grecos did unexpected things sometimes.
The set neck Grecos up till 1982 can have a 70's Gibson tenon which is not the long tenon everyone knows.
It's a tenon that stops at the beginning of the neck pickup hole or fingerboard end rather than extending into the neck pickup hole like a long tenon.
The Mint Collection series mostly do have the 50's Gibson long tenon.
Personally it makes no difference to me both tenon types are better than the modern Gibson tenons which are very short.

There are a fair few Mint Collection models.
Here are a few and their original selling price in Yen.
As the prices go down the pickups also go down with the Dry pickups reserved for the top of the line.

EG58-120 DRY 120,000 Yen
EG-59-70 DOUBLE TRICK 70,000 Yen
EG-56-60 HOT LICK 60,000 Yen
EG-59-50 SCREAMIN 50,000 Yen
EG59-45 SCREAMIN 45,000 Yen
dosmun
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new here but hang on a few other forums.

I have a 1979 Greco Les Paul "Ace Frehley" Custom with the open book head stock. The "O" in Greco is closed. It has a pancake body but has fret binding. So it seems to have some low end and some high end features. Most of the info and pics I find of the 79's have the odd headstock. The hardware shown in the pic is non original.

Any info on a possible model would be greatly appreciated. It is a great playing guitar. I also own a 92 OBG that is a killer axe as well.

Thanks for any help.
megl
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

japanstrat, thanks again for your info!

The original pricing for an EG-500 was the same as EG-59-50, EG-600 as EG-56-60 and so on ... right?

/megl
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the EG-500 and so on just drop a 0 to get the price in thousands of Yen.
EG-500 = 50,000 Yen, EG-59-50 = 50,000 Yen, EG-600 = 60,000 Yen, EG-56-60 = 60,000 Yen.
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EG= Electric Guitar

You can tell models because pickups used.

Interesting the 3 pups EG, I had one.
jasonbruce
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, would anyone have an opinion on whether the guitar in this auction is from the mint collection series?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140154922217&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

Cos if it isn't, Im been a little confused... If an EG greco is not from the MC series, does it mean it has to be from the Super Real, Super Power or Rock Spirits series? I don't think this belongs to any of these three, so... you see my dilemma...

What's got me a little confused on this auction is that the headstock has an open O, which suggests MC. But, aren't the MC series labelled EG-XX-XX, rather than EG-XXX?

Any help you guys might have on this would be greatly appreciated!
sarge40
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. First post here but been a lurker for a while. Anyway, this seems like the place to ask about a Greco LP custom I'm looking at.

Its identified as a late 80s or early 90s, although the seller doesn't know for sure. Black custom, with chrome hardware (doesn't look like gold faded away). Its got fret edge binding, no VISIBLE long tenon apparent, maybe medium (definitely not a dowel), a split diamond headstock inlay and an open o logo. Its also got a bone nut (I add this because otherwise it would look like a Sykes). Two screw truss rod cover and black witch hat knobs. No serial or model numbers anywhere. Bridge is a Nashville type.

If anyone could give me ideas as to what this is, I'd really appreciate it.
sarge40
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update to the previous post. I picked this up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220149783941&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012

I found some things that aren't so clear in the pictures that are in person. The tenon does not enter the neck pup cavity, but there is a cutout as seen in the pictures where an extended tenon might be set. Also, it looks like someone removed a sticker or label from the cavity (hence the bare wood). Also, in the control cavity, one of the pots is changed. It looks like the electronics were played with. The pickups have the braided wire, but the wire from the switch is grey plastic coated. The bridge is a Nashville type of Gotoh manufacture and the tailpiece is a Japanese "SG" piece. The tuners are made in Japan but not stamped with a logo. The open o Greco looks like a screen rather than an inlay. The pup rings are silver. One of the tone knobs has been changed (looks more silver in the pics). No serial number on the headstock, but it looks like someone buffed something off the back of the headstock, just between the top two tuners. Fret edge binding, which I thought was indicative of higher end models.

It also looks like someone changed out the hardware to make it like a Sykes model or something. The nut is still bone though and the tuners have hints of gold hardware (or oxidation). I haven't seen any other black customs with chrome hardware stock, and not many with the Nashville bridge.

The question remains. What the hell is this? Is it Japanese or Korean and what model is it? Please tell. Plays pretty nice, whatever it is, although it could use a good setup. I'm still dying to know what it is. Please help a newbie out!
himini
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to identify a greco and some questions?

here is the guitar and some pictures

http://www.turkrock.com/ftopic74003-0-asc-0.html

Seller says this is a 1987 greco custom, all hardware original,50s neck
thats all he knows about the guitar he sells it for 800$

well acording to the serial no, open O logo and some research I think this is 1990,Mint collection, egc 600 maybe, it has a hybrid neck between glued set-neck and bolt-on(only one screw), there is no fret edge binding acording to the photos. is it a low end model?

What do you think?
what about this hybrid neck, what are cons and pros of this kinda neck

thank you
cross
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. I am a new here. i am very glad, that I?ve found this forum. I need some help with some Greco which I want to buy.

the seller say it?s greco EG900, but i am not sure. the serial number is A79xxx. its tobacco sunburst, with mahagony solid body and two peices maple top.
it has open coil pickups (maybe the cover have some put down - don?t know)
neck is of maple, not mahagony.
it has long tennon neck.
on the reverse side of pickups are this ingo:
28120-A (maybe greek alfa)
and 7,92 kOhm.

could someone help me?

thanks a lot[/img]
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cross, i'd be very surprised if it has a maple neck, i could be wrong but i don't think so, {villager ?} It is a 79 Model and some pictures would be a great help in identifying it. {hasn't someone else said that before?? }

Mick
cross
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mick. thank you for answer. Here are some photos. it is difficult to recognise some of them, but maybe they will also help to identificate this greco.
thank you very much

here is link

thanx

+cross+
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 14 of 19

Jump to: