just bought a tokai lpc 60 1985 model

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markandsophie

Reaction score
Hello everyone i just bought a lpc 60 (love rock) yesterday in KOBE here in Japan. Its a 1985 model if im not correct, white custom colour that is. Serial number is 5031400. Its in good condition but is quite light compared to other les paul copies ive tested out here, ala greco, orville and burny customs. Is there any other tokai custom owners out there? How does the weight of custom love rock custom compare to the other love rock standards? Is there much difference in tone compared to the standard 1985 love rocks? Any info would be appreciated. Cheers Mark

I have a 81' white custom that I would guess is about 8.5+Ib.

Think they were all mahogany construction so I guess all will be a shade lighter than a maple top standard model.

In saying that, I used to own a 69' LP Custom that had middle pup fitted. Even with the extra wood gouged out it still weighed in at nearly 10Ib!!

Barry,

When did the names Mark & Sophie start sounding Japanese to you mate? :D

Funny thing is, I must go to about a half dozen local shops to see what they have and I have yet to see a Tokai Love Rock for sale. I've seen Tokai strats and tele's galore, but not a single LR.

But the Greco's and Burny's are a dime a dozen though. Finding a great LP copy for under $250 here is an everyday affair. Orville's are harder to come by but still cheap. I've seen a ton of old Yamaha SG's and LP copies.

Dana

Oh yeah, I've owned 2 Orville LP Customs, 1 Orville by Gibson LP Custom, and 1 Orville by Gibson Standard, and they were not light guitars by any means. Mine are similar to Lee's in the 8.5+ range.

Where abouts is Kobe? Sounds very familiar.

Dana

Ain't it amazing, the whole planet masters English better than we do. That's assuming our Japanese friends are in fact Japanese.

I have a Burny LP Special that is probably the most accurate copy of a 50's Gibson outside the Love Rocks that I've seen. It's a tad heavier than my mates 57' LP Special but if it weren't for the logo and the feel of the finish, you would never know. It really is that good.

Ill try and answer the question the best i can. The high end tokai love rock models seem to be on the wanted list but you still have to pay a bit for them whilst the lower end or entry level does not seem to tweak the japenese interests. I havent seen a lot of tokai love rocks in Kyoto or Kobe but have seen a few orville les pauls and a few orville by gibson les pauls, sgs that get snapped up pretty quickly. They usually go for about 30 to 40000 yen which is about 220 to 300 us dollars. Im from australia so just double that which is still half price what youd pay for say an ibanez les paul copy in Australia as you cant get orvilles. I often go to a small second hand shop here in kyoto where the owner speaks quite good english. Hes opinion is that entry level love rocks arent really good and the reborn is far superior. But as i said they are more expensive and well thats his opinion. Why dont japenese people ever use this forum? Well thats a difficult one! But probably due to the communication barrier.mmm Have i answered all the questions. Hey Dana where are you situated in Japan? Cheers Mark aka im not japanese

markandsophie said:
The high end tokai love rock models seem to be on the wanted list but you still have to pay a bit for them whilst the lower end or entry level does not seem to tweak the japenese interests.

I had a couple questions I hope you or anybody in Japan can answer? I found one shop that will ship to the US but the LS200 and LS320's are 200,000 and 320000 Yen, approx. 1200 and 2000 US dollars. Is this the best prices are should they be a little less expensive? I had to sell my PRS and it was about $2000 new, beautiful guitar, and the Tokai's seem a bit pricey in comparison? Also, if somebody has a link to shops that would ship to the US, I can't get the Tokai Manufacturer's in Japan to return any of my emails?
Thanks for any info!!

LondonBarry said:
And the discount from the retail price seems to run at about 10-15% from Japanese dealers.

Here are some quotes I found at one place, is this about as good as it get's? I would also have to buy more than 3 guitars to get the discount.
ES120= 95000 Yen
LS75S GT , or TL75Q= 60000 Yen
LS200= 175000 Yen
LS320= 275000 Yen

Back