LS-50 Reborn

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lee_uk

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 1979 s/no 9002203 reborn Les Paul, i recently saw one go on ebay for $1995, it was described as 1 piece back 2 piece top, mine has a 2 peice back, was this something Tokai changed? or have i got a Hondo II with a doctored headstock :(

Thanks

Lee.

Ps, i think this instrument is registered on here, i got it from a collector in Stanmore - London a few years back, think i paid just over ?400 for it (ebay), and it plays like a dream, mind you i did change the pups for Seymours - Pearly gates, the originals squeeled a bit at volume, don't think they were potted, but i have gigged it with the SD's and it sings very nicely.

The general rule is: LS-50 have 2 pieces back and sometimes 3 and a 2/3 pieces top,it was the lowest model in the japanese line,now it is called LS-70.I tried a '81 belonging to a friend and it was 2 pieces back,a good guitar but not as good as a LS-80 1 piece back.The LS-50 has a good treble sound but is not no responsive and the bass is not so deep as the LS-80 model.This remind me I have to visit him to try a Burny Tokai made LS-60 with green board electronics mounted....
LS-50 are good guitars and the only avalaible at this time at less than 1000 euro.The 80 and up models are very few now and comand high money and going up(good thing for collectors,bad thing for musicians).
Regarding pickups,they are the same in 50,60 and 80 models,not a really PAF design and a little hotter(a bit more agressive) than '57 PAF Tokais comin after '81 in 80 models....I would replace them but overal they?re good.Check for 250K pot6s,they make the guitar a bit dark sounding than usual,you can check inside green board with a loup and there will be a 25K or 500K letters on one border of the pot(nobels brand if I recall well).....

I have a 80 LS-50 Les Paul Reborn, with the double cream Jap PAF's , 2pc back (darkback) and it is a killer guitar. Lots of bite, very full sounding. Came from Japan in its original black Tokai case with the green lining!
Base model or not, it's a fantastic piece!

goldreborn7.jpg

Didsomeonesaylespaul? said:
double cream Jap PAF's

You seem to respect Japanese craftsmanship. Why would you use such demeaning terminology?

Hello Scott, why would you find "jap" demeaning its just the same as calling us Australians "Aussies". I don't believe it was meant as demeaning , just an abbreviation......cheers ....Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
Hello Scott, why would you find "jap" demeaning its just the same as calling us Australians "Aussies". I don't believe it was meant as demeaning , just an abbreviation......cheers ....Mick

Actually, I don't think it is "just an abbreviation". It is considered offensive in most English speaking countries (although apparently Australia is not one of those - see link) and by the Japanese themselves. I have many friends and business colleagues in Japan, and I would consider it an affront to them if I didn't point this out. It just isn't appropriate speech in this day and age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap

Maybe not the most unimpeachable reference, but in this case I think the information is pretty accurate.

I'm not trying to be the "thought police" here, but especially on a forum that celebrates Japanese musical instruments, I think we should endeavor to be sensitive to language that is unquestionably offensive to them.

good point...now if I could get them to stop calling me gaijin or kowai...[scary] everyday we`d be onto something. I don`t like the term Jap either and the Japanese language has a more polite form for foreigner...gaigokojin... which is heard on television and is used by some...but most of the time I hear the less flattering version.
Last week as I was going down some stairs a group of 5 or 6 older men were coming up and because of their red faces I knew they had been drinking but when they looked up and saw me one said...eeeehh...gaijin gaijin and they all chuckled...I was minding my own business and was on my way home but they couldn`t let an opportuninty to say something go by...happens literally everyday to me here. I can`t imagine the big cities are the same here, maybe it`s just this one...don`t know. I`m not even going to go into the thngs I hear about Koreans or Chinese that are said to me by my students...theres a lot of bad blood in the neighborhood still.
So...MIJ takes the same number of key strokes as Jap but there is no shortage of insensitivity to others here too.
carry on.

I'm locking this thread so it doesn't go any further.

BTW- that GT is killer looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back