Newbie question bewtween ST80 & ST80

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simple answer

1. Body made of less parts
2. Better quality pickups
3. Guitar painted with Nitrocellulose based paint, rather than Poly

This equaltes to more tone and sustain.

chrisheyes said:
Guitar painted with Nitrocellulose based paint, rather than Poly

I thought this was only on the Springys? Don't all Goldstars have poly finishes?

I disagree slightly....some ST-50's have a 2 piece body, and U series are certainly not worse than E series... just different...E series are hotter and U are more vintage-like...I actually prefer the U series for my strat, however I agree on the poly nitro thing...

stratman323 said:
I thought this was only on the Springys? Don't all Goldstars have poly finishes?

Since this question was posted in the older than '85 section the vast majority of ST-80's would have been Spring Sounds.

Correct me, if I'm worong but Goldstars appeared in '84, and there weren't many ST-80 made

I tried to simplify the answer I gave as much as possible.
I could have gone onto the Sen Ash / Swamp Ash / Alder debate !

In general terms ST-80 are considered to be better made and more toneful than ST-50. However, as with anything Tokai does there will be exceptions

chrisheyes said:
... However, as with anything Tokai does there will be exceptions
..... however, I'll do my best, to bring these exceptions to zero and I'm trying to compensate these gaps with facts.
I don't like to see any Springy Sounds announced in several Ebay auctions as ST80ies.

Well the only people to blame for that are Tokai themselves. If the only marking is a small cheap looking sticker on the back of the neck, saying 50, 80 etc, it's no wonder that it's hard for non-experts to tell which model a guitar is. In many cases, people removed the sticker because it looked nasty, in other cases the sticker just wore away or got rubbed off.

Surely Tokai could have used a better way of identifying which model a guitar is?

Yes,they do,but only on older ones.
IMG_0921_Large.jpg

Volker

Tokais came with a tag board where the model is said.New Love Rocks come with it too... As fas this guitars have not benn very regarded until we "discover" them it??s not usual original user to keep that tags.
Yes it?s not easy to tell the model if you?re not on Tokais, you had to own and play them to know what you say nad take a lot of time getting pics and following auctions and sales. In my case it was a lot of time consuming and it?s 6 years since I started with Tokais and found Peter Mac,Loverocker and Lee(all old forum mebers).....Those were times :wink:

Back