Hello from sunny Edinburgh-Tokai Strat 1985 or older.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for noting the colour codes - mine has MR (Metallic Red) which is a standard on the Golstar range. Any idea what the Z after the Mr stands for. You can view the full sets of pics at www.photobucket.com My user name is same as here Vanzep. So it seems now to point to it being an 84 Goldstart TST-50 in Metallic Red. It has the u marked pups and rosewood fretboard which is in very good condition. The pickguard is three ply white/black/white.
Any thoughts on tuners before I go replacing them....is it worth doing?
Cheers
Nick

vanzep said:
Thanks for noting the colour codes - mine has MR (Metallic Red) which is a standard on the Golstar range. Any idea what the Z after the Mr stands for. You can view the full sets of pics at www.photobucket.com My user name is same as here Vanzep. So it seems now to point to it being an 84 Goldstart TST-50 in Metallic Red. It has the u marked pups and rosewood fretboard which is in very good condition. The pickguard is three ply white/black/white.
Any thoughts on tuners before I go replacing them....is it worth doing?
Cheers
Nick

Mine also has the Z, don't know what it means. Since yours also has the U pickups it probably is an early Goldstar or possibly a late Springy. The late Springy's are identical to the Goldstar except for the logo. They have "Deluxe" stamped Kluson type tuners and "Final Prospec" stamped bridge saddles (ST/TST-50 and higher spec models). My Goldstar has the color code stamped in the control cavity, if I remember correctly Springy's mostly have the stamp in the neck pickup cavity. Anyone an expert on this? I cannot check my own -82 Springy because the previous owner has used shielding paint in all cavities.

Regarding the tuners, I think Klusons look better but Schallers are very good. If you want to replace them you can use locking (or regular) Gotoh Klusons for example. Gotoh manufactured the Tokai and Deluxe stamped tuners in the 70's and 80's.

My early Goldstar:

Image002.jpg

Mike

:) Yup markings on mine are in the pickup cavity.So possibly late Springy. The jury is still out....
I have not decided as yet on replacing the tuners. I think I paid quite a bit for the Schallers about 20yrs ago but as you say it probably looks better with the original Kluson type ones. It also depends whether I am going to keep the guitar or not (bills to pay etc).
Cheers
Nick

I don't know your financial situation (it's none of my business!), but I reckon if you sell it now, you'll probably regret it in a year or two. Having kept it through your 20s, when I guess money was tight (was for me!), it would seem a shame to sell it now unless you really have to.

If you do sell it though, I'm sure one or two of us on here would be interested in bidding for it. Be warned, there's another thread on the forum about guitars people wish they'd never sold. I suggest you read it before deciding whether to part with your Tokai after over 20 years - virtually all of your adult life!

If you haven't been playing it much recently, maybe you should use it as an excuse to start playing again more regularly?

Sound advice and I have to admit the passion you guys have for all things Tokai has rubbed off on me. Got some new strings today so I will give it another play. I have cleaned the neck today ( it was manky) and going to ad some pics to photobucket of neck without strings. I think the neck is the best bit of my guitar. I mentioned earlier I had been playing a Kramer and not to put too fine a point on it the difference in feel on the neck is major! The Tokai neck feels very natural and playing it seems a bit more intuative where as the Kramer feels bulky and bit sullen - I hope this makes sense!
Something else you said rung a bell - you said you were going to fit a neck with a rosewood fretboard to your guitar and I guess it is possible that this was what has happened to mine pre 85 and that would explain some of the discrepancies. I noticed the truss rod adjust does not match up 100% with cut out on the pickguard.......

Hi - I have posted pics on photobucket showing the rosewood fretboard with strings off. Boy did that Rosewood come up nice.
:p

I just remebered on of my pals from school bought a Tokai telecaster a couple of years before I bought my Strat. I will have to give him a call - i cant remember what colour it was i think it was green. Will let you know if he still has it and of course get some info & pics for the archives. I am just guessing but the telecaster probably sold in far lower quantities that the strat.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back