Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello from sunny Edinburgh-Tokai Strat 1985 or older.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a separate thread somewhere on here with pics of the whole guitar. I love the colour, but I don't like the big shiny Tokai maple necks, so I'm swapping it tomorrow for my mates Sunburst rosewood board Goldstar. It's not in such good condition as mine (I think only 2 of the pickups are original, and it's a bit knocked about), but it's likely to get played, wheras the green beauty doesn't really. Shame, but there we go.

I did ask if anyone had a rosewood board Goldstar to swap, but nobody replied...
javelin70
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:

So do I, how similar is it to Fender's Candy Apple Red? I haven't had a chance to compare them side by side.

I'm still getting my head around the different Tokai Strat pickups. Those on my 84 TST55 seem to be stamped V1 - so what does that make them?

Here's my TST-50:

It has been modified from a '64 replica to a '54 replica (TST-60/80 v-neck), the original neck is warped unfortunately and a previous owner has removed the fingerboard. The pickguard (single ply), tremolo cover and control knobs/pickup covers (parchment) are Allparts. The pickups are the U's except for the hotrail at the bridge.

I think the metallic red is very close to car, the color changes a lot depending on the light so it can be hard to tell from pictures. I don't know the difference between the VI and VII pickups unfortunately. TST-55 should have VII's but sometimes Tokai seem to have used better pickups than specified. My 1984 TLS-50 Love Rock gold top has the '57 PAF vintage pickups specified for the TLS-80, not the '57 Vintage MkII pickups it should have. It came with them from the factory.

Mike

Last edited by javelin70 on Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
javelin70
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
There's a separate thread somewhere on here with pics of the whole guitar. I love the colour, but I don't like the big shiny Tokai maple necks, so I'm swapping it tomorrow for my mates Sunburst rosewood board Goldstar. It's not in such good condition as mine (I think only 2 of the pickups are original, and it's a bit knocked about), but it's likely to get played, wheras the green beauty doesn't really. Shame, but there we go.

I did ask if anyone had a rosewood board Goldstar to swap, but nobody replied...

And I love the maple necks, all of my Tokai strats have them (3 Goldstars and a Springy).

Mike
Rossi
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are getting some good posts on here.Thats what the forum is for.Even i didnt know about a Goldstar ST-80 with E-pups I really did think they went up to 55
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice colour. CAR seems to vary a lot anyway. My US 62RI Strat (1986) is a lot darker (and more worn) than my Jap 62RI Tele (85/6, according to the serial number). Possibly depends on the undercoat, whether it's gold or silver? It's a gorgeous colour anyway.

So what happened to the third pickup. You still have it?
javelin70
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
Nice colour. CAR seems to vary a lot anyway. My US 62RI Strat (1986) is a lot darker (and more worn) than my Jap 62RI Tele (85/6, according to the serial number). Possibly depends on the undercoat, whether it's gold or silver? It's a gorgeous colour anyway.

So what happened to the third pickup. You still have it?

Yes, I still have the third pickup, it stays with the guitar. For the kind of music I play I really need a humbucker at the bridge to get the sound I want but I want to be able to restore it to original (even though this particular guitar isn't so much original anymore).

Mike
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, I don't blame you for hanging onto the original pickup. Have you tried a Seymour Duncan JB Junior? I have one on a Strat I put together around a Warmoth hardtail ash body. It's very versatile if wired series/split through a push/pull pot, or series/split/parallel through a 3 way switch as I've done. And they come in white, so it doesn't stand out like a black pickup does. Got mine for about ?35 on eBay.
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, how did you get the pic to appear in the body of your message? I only know how to post to a link to photobucket.
javelin70
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use SD Little '59's on some of my other strats. I actually wanted a black pickup on this strat, on the other strats they are the same color as the other pickups.

When you make a new post there's an Img button you can use - push it once, insert the link to yor image and then push the Img button again. Otherwise just use these tags [img][/img] and put your image link between them.

Mike
rgrafend

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add one comment RE: Goldstar ST80 specs.

I recently bought an Olympic White through Yahoo Japan. It has no logo on the headstock, and the former owner simply did not know which brand it is. He/she just knew that it must be old and that the pickups were stamped "E". However, I also thought it must be a 60s copy, (11 holes pickguard). So this did not fit with what I believed to know. It also had no serial on the neckplate. Bridge and tuners were so rusty it was not possible to read anything on them.

So I took the risk and bid on it. Eventually I got it for a REALLY good price.

When I received it I was suprised. It did not only have DiMarzios , but also a V-neck in virtually unplayed condition in real Tokai quality. Pots, cap and switch are the same as on my ST80s. It also has a very nice ash 2-piece body. However, not nitro.

So beside the nitro: if I am not mistaken this is a Goldstar with ST80 specs. And a fantastic guitar.

I'll post pics when I finished cleaning her.

Cheers. Rupert
vanzep
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Colour Codes. Reply with quote

Thanks for noting the colour codes - mine has MR (Metallic Red) which is a standard on the Golstar range. Any idea what the Z after the Mr stands for. You can view the full sets of pics at www.photobucket.com My user name is same as here Vanzep. So it seems now to point to it being an 84 Goldstart TST-50 in Metallic Red. It has the u marked pups and rosewood fretboard which is in very good condition. The pickguard is three ply white/black/white.
Any thoughts on tuners before I go replacing them....is it worth doing?
Cheers
Nick
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends. Do you want to keep it or sell it?
javelin70
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Colour Codes. Reply with quote

vanzep wrote:
Thanks for noting the colour codes - mine has MR (Metallic Red) which is a standard on the Golstar range. Any idea what the Z after the Mr stands for. You can view the full sets of pics at www.photobucket.com My user name is same as here Vanzep. So it seems now to point to it being an 84 Goldstart TST-50 in Metallic Red. It has the u marked pups and rosewood fretboard which is in very good condition. The pickguard is three ply white/black/white.
Any thoughts on tuners before I go replacing them....is it worth doing?
Cheers
Nick

Mine also has the Z, don't know what it means. Since yours also has the U pickups it probably is an early Goldstar or possibly a late Springy. The late Springy's are identical to the Goldstar except for the logo. They have "Deluxe" stamped Kluson type tuners and "Final Prospec" stamped bridge saddles (ST/TST-50 and higher spec models). My Goldstar has the color code stamped in the control cavity, if I remember correctly Springy's mostly have the stamp in the neck pickup cavity. Anyone an expert on this? I cannot check my own -82 Springy because the previous owner has used shielding paint in all cavities.

Regarding the tuners, I think Klusons look better but Schallers are very good. If you want to replace them you can use locking (or regular) Gotoh Klusons for example. Gotoh manufactured the Tokai and Deluxe stamped tuners in the 70's and 80's.

My early Goldstar:

Mike
vanzep
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Markings in pickup cavity (Springy v Goldstar) Reply with quote

Yup markings on mine are in the pickup cavity.So possibly late Springy. The jury is still out....
I have not decided as yet on replacing the tuners. I think I paid quite a bit for the Schallers about 20yrs ago but as you say it probably looks better with the original Kluson type ones. It also depends whether I am going to keep the guitar or not (bills to pay etc).
Cheers
Nick
stratman323

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know your financial situation (it's none of my business!), but I reckon if you sell it now, you'll probably regret it in a year or two. Having kept it through your 20s, when I guess money was tight (was for me!), it would seem a shame to sell it now unless you really have to.

If you do sell it though, I'm sure one or two of us on here would be interested in bidding for it. Be warned, there's another thread on the forum about guitars people wish they'd never sold. I suggest you read it before deciding whether to part with your Tokai after over 20 years - virtually all of your adult life!

If you haven't been playing it much recently, maybe you should use it as an excuse to start playing again more regularly?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: