Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello from sunny Edinburgh-Tokai Strat 1985 or older.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rossi
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Goldstar i would go for a TST55
Its a pity about the tuners and logo
vanzep
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Still looking for the tuners...god I hope I have not chucked Reply with quote

Im still looking for the original tuners, I remember keeping them but finding them will be a task and they have got chucked out when I moved house..im trying not to kick myself. But there are ones on Ebay for sale some look identical....with only deluxe stamped on the back on not with the makers name.
stratman323

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is a shame. Nick - did the new tuners need bigger holes drilled to fit them? If not, I guess replacing them with Kluson type tuners would be a reasonable option for around ?25?

Has anyone else heard of Goldstars being sent out by the factory without a decal on the headstock? I've heard of people removing the "uncool" Tokai decal, there was a Springy like that that was discussed here a few weeks ago that sold for (I think) ?240 on eBay. I wish I'd bought that now, it would have been easy enough to get a replacement Springy decal for it.
vanzep
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Kluson Tuners Reply with quote

No redrilling was necessary and the original bushes are still in place so should be easy to rectify. I must admit to being a bit about it - my only excuse is that i was in my teens....
So it seems to be the genuine article and a Goldstar TST55.
I guess you cant tell from the photos but there is no outline or difference in texture on the headstock or back of the neck to show where any decal or label has been removed so it would sem to point that it did leave the factory like that. I bought it at Ricks Music shop which was then situated on Candlemaker Row in Edinburgh's old town and they had just opened a couple of days previous and the guitar was the only one in the window (very small windows in these shops).The guy in the shop told me one of or both of the following reasons for it having no decals :-
1)Legal case with Fender.
2)Demand was so high that label mfg. could not kep up with demand for a while but they continued to ship.
Both seem plausible as there would be no reason for a shop putting it in the window without decals - if they were missing they would have been able to replace them.
If it does not have the decals this must in some ways make it more desirable like the Penny Black stamps that are missing a perforation. Im certainly not saying it would make it more desirable on the open market but to a Tokai enthusiast/collector it would be an interesting item.
Lastly does anyone know what year it is - I bought it in 1985 believing it to be pre-owned but in mint condition.
Cheers
Nick
stratman323

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Kluson Tuners Reply with quote

vanzep wrote:
If it does not have the decals this must in some ways make it more desirable like the Penny Black stamps that are missing a perforation.

Actually I doubt that. If I bought it, I'd replace the decal.
vanzep
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Missing decals Reply with quote

Your right - but I am not going to try and put any decals on myself-I will leave that to the professionals like yourself - I once tried respraying the bumper on my car and it was a disaster.
Just wanted to say a big thanks to you all for your help in identifying the model of Tokai
Now i must find these tuners......the scahlers currently fitted are fine but....
vanzep
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Springy ST-50 versus Goldstar TST-55 Reply with quote

Just when I though it was sorted and it was seeming like we were veering towards it being a Goldstar TST-55 I saw the identical model in every way(japanguitar.co.uk) and LO serial number as well. It was fully marked as 1980 Springy Sound ST-50 in Candy Apple Red the exact same colour as the one I have.
Rossi
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont get to worked up ,i thought it might be with the headstock but we have to be carefull here,if it is a springy that makes it worse having no logo the L does point to a 1980 springy,but people buy them for the spaghetti logo,if it is a ST-50/55 it is the lower end because after that its the ST 60/80/100/120 Goldstars only go up to 55 and a lot of people prefer the Goldstars with the U pups,and a lot of people prefer the higher end Springys starting with ST-80 Springys with the spaghtti logo and E pups.but thats JMO
oldflame
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokais only became widely available in the UK around 83/84 anyway so it's a probably a Goldstar. When Fender transfers appeared in the UK around the mid to late 80's, Just about everyone and their mother who owned a Goldstar rubbed the logo off and replaced it or left it blank.
Most of the ones I got hold of between the mid 80's and later had a Fender logo.
vanzep
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Last night I dreamt of lots of Red Tokais' (only joking) Reply with quote

Thanks guys and of course you are right - its just to my untrained eye they all start to look the same after a while...
I must admit that 1980 does seem a bit of stretch in so much that the guitar was in mint condition when i bought it 85 and most likey was only a year or two old. I guess we can only speculate on what happened to the decals - I just thought it odd that a shop would not put a Tokai or a fender label on if it was missing but as i said we will never know but what you say makes a lot of sense. I guess I was feeling a bit annoyed with myself for removing the original tuners and being unable to find them but thats life!
Cheers

Nick
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rossi wrote:
Goldstars only go up to 55

According to the 1985 Tokai catalogue, that's not true. There are 40, 50/55/60 & 80 Goldstars. It would appear that the 50/55s have ST Vintage Mk II pickups, the 60s have ST Vintage pickups (presumably these are better in some way?), and the 80s have Dimarzio VS-1 pickups.
javelin70
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:

According to the 1985 Tokai catalogue, that's not true. There are 40, 50/55/60 & 80 Goldstars. It would appear that the 50/55s have ST Vintage Mk II pickups, the 60s have ST Vintage pickups (presumably these are better in some way?), and the 80s have Dimarzio VS-1 pickups.

Also, some of the early Goldstars have the same pickups as the Springy's. My TST-50 Goldstar has the U pickups which are not the same as the Vintage MkII (stamped VII) pickups. There's a difference in DC resistance, I've compared them, U pickups have a slightly higher resistance and are a little hotter.

Another thing, Metallic Red is not a custom color so the guitar is a TST-50. Goldstar TST-50 colors were:

YSO = old yellow sunburst
GS = golden sunburst
OW = olympic white
BB = black
MR = metallic red

The color code is stamped in the control cavity (or/and the neck pickup cavity). My TST-50 is also metallic red btw, I love that color!

Mike
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

javelin70 wrote:
My TST-50 is also metallic red btw, I love that color!

So do I, how similar is it to Fender's Candy Apple Red? I haven't had a chance to compare them side by side.

I'm still getting my head around the different Tokai Strat pickups. Those on my 84 TST55 seem to be stamped V1 - so what does that make them?
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to include links to pickup pics

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x153/stratman323/Tokai%20TST55%20Met%20Green/?action=view&current=119_1914.jpg

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x153/stratman323/Tokai%20TST55%20Met%20Green/?action=view&current=119_1910.jpg
Rossi
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V1 = Vintage Also V 11

I like that green with a maple neck (niceeeeee)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: