Best Stage/Pedal Tuner?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scunny

Reaction score
I just bought an 'Artec big dots' pedal tuner off ebay, verdict - pretty crap and is going back.

Anyone got a decent pedal tuner with true bypass they'd recommend?
________
smoking kills

Boss Tu-2 is fine but it's not true-bypass. I guess Akai or something makes a tuner with something that at least looks like a true-bypass switch. And of course there's the Peterson Strobostomp, which I guess is true bypass.

scunny said:
Anyone got a decent pedal tuner with true bypass they'd recommend

Apparently the Peterson StroboStomp 2 is true bypass and is also very accurate. It is said that it takes a wee bit of technique and practice to use it correctly, and the tradeoff is near perfect tuning/intonation.

Cheers, The Peterson looks great but I can't afford to invest so much cash in a tuner at the mo. May go the Boss route as seems the industry standard.
Anyone ever tried the Fender PT-10/100? or the Korg DT-10?
________
headshops

I recently bought a Fender PT-100, to replace an Arion tuner that died. It seems fine, but I'm not sure what you mean by a true bypass.

stratman323 said:
I recently bought a Fender PT-100, to replace an Arion tuner that died. It seems fine, but I'm not sure what you mean by a true bypass.

My understanding of true bypass is a pedal that passes a clean signal without using a battery or power supply. Maybe this is not correct? ...

[pause to search net]

... Have just found this definition:

"# WHAT IS TRUE BYPASS?

The term "True-bypass" refers to a method of wiring a pedal's stomp switch such that when the pedal is in bypass mode, your clean signal goes in one jack and out the other. The signal does not pass through any active circuitry that can corrupt your original tone. Many pedals employ a signal buffer instead of a true-bypass design, unfortunately if this buffer is poorly designed your pedal will "suck tone" when in bypass mode. "
:)
________
GA

OK, thanks, never heard of that before, but I'm not a great pedal user. I don't leave it plugged in during a gig, I can fine tune my guitar without it. I just use it to tune up before a gig. After that, my ears tell me if I'm out of tune.

Just bought a Planet Waves pedal tuner.

This thing is awesome as far as tuners go. True bypass. Optional muted switching. Strobe or sweep mode. Great display. Accurate to one cent. Adjustable calibration. Built like a tank.

All for $139 AUD. Before you buy Korg, check it out! 8)

The Korg DT-10 is pretty good. Well built, sturdy case and very accurate, doesn't cost the earth either.

Speaking of not costing the earth, I used to have a Danelectro DJ-25 Chromatic tuner which was brilliant. Saying that, the Behringer one is pretty darned cheap.

got a seiko st600 quartz tuner for birthday about XX years ago(same style as the boss tu range) never let me down, although I also use a little korg ga20 especially when teaching as flashing lights and digital readout seems better for students learning to tune. Onstage I just used the tuner on Zoom 4040 pedal although my tokai never needs much tuning even with my own particular style of thrash.

Hi
I have Boss TU2 which has been perfect for 5 - 6 years or so, used every week at rehearsals and gigs. I cannot hear the difference if it is in line or not so I wouldn't spend for true bypass. A mate has the Korg which he prefers - bit more sensitive - seems to eat batteries a bit.

Having used the Fender PT100 for a while now, I'd say it's not quite as easy to use as the Arion Stage Tuner I had for years. It's better made and the display is bigger, but it just seems too fiddly. Or maybe it's too sensitive?

Mike

Back