LS-60 -- 1982

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ochay

Reaction score
I just received a 1982 Love Rock-LS-60 from Germany and I was pleasantly supprised with her-8 1/2 lbs., Grande neck heel ala '59 Les Paul, Mother of Pearl fret inlays and LOGO, 18deg headstock, Brizilian Rosewood Fretboard, Stock Gotoh Zebra Humbuckers, set neck, one piece Mahogany back and a killer bookmatched, figured Maple top-

I have several "Reborn's" & "Olds"-LS-50's, 60's, 80's, 100's, 120's and use them for a direct comparison-The only feature's I dislike on the '82 Love Rock are:No fret edge binding and color, which is really bright with poly finish.

When I was introduced to older Tokai's -I couldn't believe the quality craftsmanship/attention to detail that the Japanese Clone's had ! The PAF replica's using Tokai pickups and Gotoh pickups just blow away Gibsons stock pickups and have the PAF sound (should I venture to say Demarzio PAF sound) down Pat !! I have (or had) at least one model of Tokai Les Paul Clone from '76 thru 92-

I was always sort of :)lol: ) laughing at some of the comments about Tokai LS-50's and LS-60's being "Lower End Models" or "Entry Level Models"

THese Late 70's early 80's Tokai's-so called "Entry Level Models"-LS-50's , 60's and LS-80's, 100's are all BITCHEN guitars!!! The craftsmanship and attention to detail is presant-and I'll admit , LS-50's, 60's, 80's, 100's dont have Demarzios, and Flames-But not everyone wants flames, The Tokai PAF and Gotoh PAF clones sound just as good as Demarzio's, no comment on fret edge binding other than LS-80's and above have this added attention to detail feature..
If you can get your hands on an older LS Tokai you won't regret the
One last comment-Nothing tickles me more than picking up a Les Paul-cranking the volume and letting the harmonics fly......

Hi Mike,

LS-60 from 1982 don’t have 1p backs, don’t have 18deg headstock, don’t have brazilian fretboards.

Source : 1982 japanese catalog page 32

And I think Tokai haven’t made any exceptions for Germans. ( :lol: )

The “entry level” thing is a term that even japanese people and Tokai itself used. With the 50 and 60 models they wanted to and did build HQ guitars at an affordable price. There are many differences compared to 80 and aboves (construction, wood, pu’s and electrics, finish, hardware…) Nobody said or meant that they are bad or sound bad. A killer is a killer no matter how cheap it was or old it is. My Tokai favorites are a 1990 LS-50/60 black which was the first Tokai I played and a reborn 80. I’ve had several opportunities to buy 120 reborn olds but they reach around jp 140k and as long as I don’t know if the tops are solid or veneer I'll keep my hands off.
I have three les paul reborns (50, 60, 80) one les paul model solid flametop and several loverocks, a few Fernandes/Burny and Gibbos and half of a dozen strats of mij and 3 usa pre-cbs ones. If I had to sell them all but two I would keep my gibbo les paul special reissue ‘74 and a sb strat Fernandes Revival only judging by sound.

Goto old (no h) paf’s rule. I prefer them actually to sd’s and dimarzios. Unfortunately they measure a very uncommon polepieces distance. I can’t find any proper pu covers for them. Any idea?

supernout said:
LS-60 from 1982 don?t have 1p backs, don?t have 18deg headstock, don?t have brazilian fretboards.
Source : 1982 japanese catalog page 32
And I think Tokai haven?t made any exceptions for Germans. ( :lol: )
Goto old (no h) paf?s rule. I prefer them actually to sd?s and dimarzios. Unfortunately they measure a very uncommon polepieces distance. I can?t find any proper pu covers for them. Any idea?

Super,
Wrongo!
When I wrote that discription I was holding the guitar(ser# 2011081 w/60 sticker) in my hand-I have a 1 piece backed, 18 deg headstock with fretboard made of killer Brizilian Rosewood fretboard-I even doublechecked the headstock and back again??(exactly the same as my '80 LS-120) This one even has 59 styl'ed Klusen single line tuners
????As far as the pickup covers-I never piddle with um.
Mike

...a refretted LS-80 :-?

common! $

or

...a formerly planned LS-80 sold as a 60 due to forgotten fret edge binding :lol:

rrrrrare! $$$

Your probably right-it has been refretted with Big ol Frets-but that oval 60 sticker is whats throwing me-I'm going to have to rip that puppy apart now for furter investigation :oops: I will snap a few pics as soon as I unpack my camera when my new crib is finished
:wink:

Anyway, it's been a nice gesture from D.A.(?) to sell LS-80 for 60 price. Don't worry, you got lucky! :D

I bought my last reborn LS-80bs in dec, last year for jy 94k (ex. tax & shipping). two weeks ago an '83 LS-80vf has been sold for jy 130k on jp. Yahoo. I have no explanation why, probably violin finish is much rarer?

BTW I won a goto PAF & niCover last night on eBay. Took me about $30. The covers are quite individual, mounted with the height adjustment screws instead of soldering to the brass bottom plate.

I wish someone would take pictures of every little detail concerning those beauties, especially the LS-xxx reborns. Even in the 78-80 period lots of little details were changed. I'm still learning by buying and waiting for someone offering me a reborn LS-200os some day.

As soon as I get situated in my new house and get out of this hotel-I'm working with a fellow Tokai-Registry member and will snap detailed pics of all my Reborns, Olds and early Love rocks-every little screw taken out and photo'ed-can't do squat without my Digital camera though-feeling kinda naked :oops:
Mike

I bought a Canon G2 last week. It’s an outstanding digcam, so I’ll start doing the same next week.

Today another three guitars from Japan have arrived at my local custom department. A ’79 LS-50 reborn cherryburst w/case, a new mint 2001 LS-60 loverock violin finish w/case and a burny violin finish (a visual thrill) from early ’80 w/softcase.
Just imagine this, those german bastards even charge 20% tax on shipping cost. This is robbery!!! :x
Anyway, I’ve paid 1530 Euro all incl. so it’s been a good deal. But I can’t wait any longer, I’m gonna play ‘em now…

Latest posts

Back