Musicians are emotionally flawed? ...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes your right it is personal taste but I'm also saying their musical structure is so basic that it doesn't invoke hardly any emotional response from me.
The Edge sounds like he's playing in a Subway Toilet and words fail me when I think of Noel Gallagher ripping off so many other songs including the Coke advertisement.
Talking about shrinks has anyone seen Metallica and their documentary with a shrink.
I thought it was really funny.
The drummer guy who had a thing about Napster looked like a total ---- to me and James Hetfield who came across as not too bad didn't use the bands shrink to deal with his problems and went away for a while, the shrink was for the whole band apparently and James came back after a while and fired the shrink who they were paying around $40,000 a month.

Adrian,

Re: Guthrie.... IMHO, I've never seen someone as totally gifted and as full of natural talent as him. In 2004 I went to see him every thursday at the Bassment in Chelsford for 10 weeks and every week he would be doing something new/different/awe inspiring. I know good when I see it and man...he's good

oldflame said:
Re: Guthrie.... IMHO, I've never seen someone as totally gifted and as full of natural talent as him. In 2004 I went to see him every thursday at the Bassment in Chelsford for 10 weeks and every week he would be doing something new/different/awe inspiring. I know good when I see it and man...he's good

Yeah, he's truly amazing, isn't he? His improv skills just astound me... an endless stream of cool ideas, usually perfectly executed and seamless.

By the way, a quick plug, in case you're interested. Guthrie has recorded loads of first-take solos (and a performance of his tune "Fives") for the blues backing track site I co-run. They're all on our Youtube page...

http://www.youtube.com/bluesjamtracks

adrian

Sorry, not impressed by Guthrie. All technique and no soul, in my humble opinion. Sure, I'm jealous of his technique, but I think he squanders it by playing too much. Less is more!

By contrast, on the same page as that link, there's a clip of Aynsley Lister playing some Peter Green style stuff. OK, he ain't Greeny (who is?), but at least he understands the concept of space.

I'll now wait to be shot down in flames!

Mike

Heh! No flames from me!

I think everyone's got their own "too many notes" threshold... the same solo can be exciting and exhilarating for one person, but boring and unwelcoming for another.

I know what you mean about Aynsley, though... he's got a real knack for hitting those simple phrases so well.

adrian

stratman323 said:
Sorry, not impressed by Guthrie. All technique and no soul, in my humble opinion. Sure, I'm jealous of his technique, but I think he squanders it by playing too much. Less is more!

By contrast, on the same page as that link, there's a clip of Aynsley Lister playing some Peter Green style stuff. OK, he ain't Greeny (who is?), but at least he understands the concept of space.

I'll now wait to be shot down in flames!

Mike
I agree with both points.
I've seen Guthrie before and yeah...his technique and execution is great...but he has as much soul as your average politician.
I'll stick with Lister.

The trouble is that guitarists make more money by playing in-your-face heavy rock licks than the subtle stuff. I was dissappointed this year when I saw first Joe Bonnamassa and later Johnny Winter. They can both play some really tasteful, subtle blues if they want to, but they both played what I would call rock sets, complete with guitar hero posturing in JB's case.

So I wasn't impressed - but what do I know? In both cases the venues were packed, with quite a young crowd, so the guys clearly earned a decent amount of money. By contrast, when we get gorgeous, subtle players like Ronnie Earl or Anson Funderburgh over here, they play in smaller venues that are half full. :cry:

Even the magnificent Los Lobos only half filled the theatre that Bonnamassa had packed out. So I guess it's hard to blame guitarists for chucking subtlety out of the window, even though I find it depressing.

Mike

Latest posts

Back