Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone ID these pickups from my ST55?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adrianclark
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Anyone ID these pickups from my ST55? Reply with quote

I'm coming to the conclusion that I should sell my 1985 Goldstar Sound. It's a lovely guitar, one of the best-sounding Strats I've heard, but I just don't play it... my Warmoth/Fender mongrel just seems so much more versatile because of the compound fretboard.

However, I'm not sure whether to Ebay it with its Kinman pickups, in the hope of pushing the bids up, or whether to sell the Kinmans separately and reinstall the pickups that came with the Tokai.

The thing is, I'm not sure exactly what the original pickups are. Anyone got any ideas?

adrian
bobtastik
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a Fender Pick up, the type fitted to Mex & some Jap Strats.
adrianclark
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, thanks. I had an idea they couldn't be the originals, seeing as they don't match any of the normal descriptions.

Maybe I'll Ebay it with the Kinmans, given that I don't have the original pickups. At least I can then make a feature of them, rather than sheepishly having to admit to "three unidentified cheapo pickups"

adrian
stratman323

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to tell us a bit about the guitar, and post a few pics? Maple or rosewood board? What colour?

Mike
adrianclark
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
Do you want to tell us a bit about the guitar, and post a few pics? Maple or rosewood board? What colour?

I'll be back with pictures and a proper description when I list it on Ebay, but to give you a rough idea...

It's a left-handed 1985 ST55, maple fretboard and metallic red. No serial number (I guess the neckplate was replaced at some point) but the date/colour codes on the neck and body both agree. It's quite "well-worn" with some chips to the body paintwork and some quite ugly damage to the lower edge of the fretboard, but it sounds lovely.

I came to the reluctant conclusion I don't really need two Kinman-equipped maple-board Strats

adrian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: