Overdrive pedals

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys, a good friend of mine has just bought a dod overdrive ,as he plays hendrix (style) he has a range of gear uni-vibes fuzz faces wha pedal ect. He found that the fuzz faces he has (some modified curcit)
were all very harsh, detracting from the wha pedal (so it was more like a volume than a wha) He also has a ts9 this is great as a boost but not great when his amp (marshall 50 w head) was fully wound up.
so after trying mxr ,boss,voodoo lab & dod . He settled for the dod (may transplant into fuzz face casing) it was the cheapest ?49.00 but it was also
the best for the job as it didn't alter the signal in the effects being used
before overdrive.Their is a guy on fleabay selling fuzz face kits( no case)
so you may want to check him out ? But as i said my friend has 5 & not 2 of them sound the same.

Hi guys, a good friend of mine has just bought a dod overdrive ,as he plays hendrix (style) he has a range of gear uni-vibes fuzz faces wha pedal ect. He found that the fuzz faces he has (some modified curcit)
were all very harsh, detracting from the wha pedal (so it was more like a volume than a wha) He also has a ts9 this is great as a boost but not great when his amp (marshall 50 w head) was fully wound up.
so after trying mxr ,boss,voodoo lab & dod . He settled for the dod (may transplant into fuzz face casing) it was the cheapest ?49.00 but it was also
the best for the job as it didn't alter the signal in the effects being used
before overdrive.Their is a guy on fleabay selling fuzz face kits( no case)
so you may want to check him out ? But as i said my friend has 5 & not 2 of them sound the same.

Do you remember which model the Dod overdrive it was? I'm really more into affordable, surprising pedals than expensive boutique stuff.

Yes it is a dod 250 distortion, comes in a yellow case/two knob /volume/distortion level. does what it says on the tin
check out there website

Anybody tried the DOD Yngwie model while we're on the subject of DOD?

Has anyone tried the new Seymour Duncan Lava Box? I kind of liked the Tweakfuzz, even thought I sold it when I got the Zoom Ultra Fuzz. Now I could manage with just one overdrive pedal. It would need to be a verstile one of course. So Lava Box... seems interesting, has anyone tried it yet?

I saw the new Hughes and Ketner Tube overdrive....has an El34 in the pre-amp stage

I saw a Tokai Z-II Overdrive for 40 ?. I guess it's the same as TOD-2. Looks like to be in nice condition. Is it worth a try?

Ok I bought the Tokai Overdrive and played a rehearsal with it tonight. It seems like a cool pedal, at least the tone knob has more usable range than a Tubescreamers. It felt a bit more relaxed than Boss SD-1 which I've been favouring past half a year. The dirt is kind of smaller grained if you know what I mean. It isn't noisy at all, that I can tell you already, even with a compressor pushing it, it is very quiet. But there's a slight pause in the sound when turning it on and off, a bit irritating. The plastic housing doesn't really impress me, I guess I need a backup for it anyway. But a nice overdrive for 40 euros! And a another Tokai to my collection!

Outsider,
I feel Tokai pedals are very smooth sounding and really have a very good construction.I started Tokai pedals collection two years ago and going on...Will put pics very soon...

I picked up a Vox Cooltron Bulldog Distorsion Pedal at a knock down price.

Very very flexible pedal as it's got 2 channels.

I can set up a clean tone on the amp, kick the pedal in to get a got SRV driven tone with channel 1 then kick in the second channel for flull blown
Heavy Rock tone. Turns my single channel Blues Junior amp into a 3 Channel screamer.

There is a knob on channel 2 on the pedal that shapes the tone from Plexi to JMP to Boogie.

The pedal is effectively the Vox AC30 Top Boost circuitry. It's in a flashy stainless steel sturdy box and then vavle glows !

I got the Tremolo / Vibrato version too - Very good it is too

These pedals are really quiet. I'm glad I didn't pay the full wack and I'm happy with the ?50 I spent on them

Chris,
I use Vox Bull Dog cooltron as a dirty channel in my 18w and it works really well,better than another stompboxes I tried.It lacks a bit of dynamics somewhere when pushed hard but very conviced for rock.I like it.

Regarding Z-II Tokai pedal series they are similar made to the two other series,I mean silver plated ones and all black ones regarding plate and componentes but the envelopment(case) is plastic instead of metalic in 1 series.....Will post pics soon...

Luis

I've also git a boxed ZII Tokai Overdrive Pedal, I don't really rate it

I build a www.buildyourownclone.com Screamer Clone. That is very good.
I should really do a mod on the tone control as it only seems to do anything at the far end of it's travel.

Here's a pic of my TOD-2 Overdrive. Just spent a couple of hours comparing it to my MIJ SD-1 and in my opinion it's softer sounding but it also generates a lot more hum than the Boss. I guess I keep the Boss on my board and use the Tokai if I need a more relaxed od in the studio. A really annoying thing with it is that there's a slight pause whenever it is engaged. :evil:

DSCN4838.jpg

And here's my skate-pedal-board (sorry the blurry shot...)
TU-2 - CS-2 - Dunlop 535Q - SD-1 - Ibanez TS-5 - Pearl Chorus - DD-20

DSCN4831.jpg

There's a lot of option. The tube driver is a really good one! My personnal choice is a Goudie FX 808+! It's a TS-808 on steroid, he did every popular mod to make his 808+ souds really good! I have one and I almost always use it!