Bought a HB50

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMVF

Reaction score
Hello guys.

I just bought a Tokai HB50. It will arrive tomorow so I'll let you know about it when she gets here.

It's made in China.

• Style: Dreadnought
    Top: Solid Engleman Spruce
    Side & Back: Rosewood
    Neck: Mahogany
    Bridge: Rosewood
    Fingerboard: Rosewood
    Machineheads: Diecast, Gold
    Headstock Inlay: Abalone Tokai
    Body Top Purfling: Abalone
    Rosette: Abalone
    Position Marks: Hexagon Abalone Marks
    Nut and saddle: Bone
    Finish: Gloss Natural
    Extras: Tokai Hardcase
137512.jpg

She's home now.

It's a bit flashy with lots of inlays and stuff like that.

It's nicely built.

The neck is made of one piece mahogany but has 2 neck scars at the head and also at the junction with the body, they could have made it just one peace, but I guess that's for the MIJ ones.

It sounds wonderful for its price. I can't see how I could buy a guitar twice expensive that sounds this good.
It's all solid wood both top and sides.
The tuners work very good.

It sounds very loud.

Is very light in weight and the one she has is well distributed.

It comes with a case with a horrible Tokai logo on it and of clearly inferior quality of the one that came with my LS230, but it?s a nice case and is also included on the price tag.

It's the best I could by. A shame it doesn't have a piezzo installed.

I don't remember the manufacurer but I played a Chinese acoustic in my local shop at the weekend, solid top and sides and ?239 new!!

China is starting to turn out some goos stuff!

I sold my Martin to raise the money for an LS80 Reborn Old, so Im now without an acoustic, one of these might fit the bill!

China certainly is making some good stuff, including Blueridge, Tanglewood and Washburn guitars on the acoustic front alone.

I'm interested in what you say about the HB50 being made in China, though, as on the Richtone Music eBay page for them it definitely states "Made in Japan". Who's right?! :-?

Out of interest - Whereabouts is your sticker?

Is it on the back of the headstock or in the soundhole?

hb80n6.jpg

Also are you sure that and HB50 is the same as an HB80? [/img]

Hello Richard.

Yes my guitar looks a lot like your HB80, but my has a Red Stiker inside it and the brand is "Tokai" no "Humming Bird" anywere.

I have an Abalone "Tokai" logo on the head also.

I'll try to post some pics of it tomorow.

About the place were "Made in China" is, I don't remember but I guess it was inside de guitar. I'll take a look at that this evening.

Just want to make sure we've got what exactly what we said we were getting

The guitar on ebay is an HB80, which i'm thinking is a different model to that HB50. Just want to check that it is indeed different. Tokai UK have told us that they are made in japan at this level

Out of interest - where did you get your HB50 from?

Hello.

I couldn't take the pic yesterday but I can confirm that it has a sticker on the back of the headstock with "Made in China" on it.

Inside the sound hole there's a red paper with Tokai on it and model Number HB50. The writings on it are exactly the same has the ones on the HB80 in this page but just arranged in a different manner. It does not say Humming Bird but Tokai.

I will take some pics when possible.

It was bought from the Portuguese retailer.

Back