Tokai Goldstar information

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron76

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and after reading such positive reviews of the Tokai Strats (after years of ill made Fenders), I've begun searching.

I've recently found a Goldstar Strat but I don't know what to look for. What should be present on an early 80's Strat? Is there anything you can advise me to examine or notice that would indicate its vintage?

I'm going to look at it this week (bit pricey at ?550) but its worth a try.

Thanks
Aaron76 :roll:

For originality, check the saddles are stamped 'final prospec,' the tuners should be 'deluxe' kluson types, a serial number on the neck plate (there'll probably be an L if it's a 64 replica); if you get to take the scratch plate off, the pick-ups should have an 'E' or 'U' stamped there, depending upon the model. The wires would be cloth covered as well. Switches are 5-way, not 3-way. Apart from that, there's probably very little to distinguish them in look from a Fender reissue. Check out tokairegistry.com for the guitars that people have listed and some of the features they have. ?550 is on the steep side though, a lot come up on ebay or in guitarist magazine for ?350 or sobut you never know until you buy. Don't be hasty though, others will come along. The older Tokais with the 7okai logo would fetch ?550 plus but not the Goldstars as they were imported to the UK in pretty big numbers and are therefore fairly easily available. Hope that this is useful, happy hunting, let us know what you decide upon in the end.

Tony

Just one thing, I don't think all the Goldstar Sound strats have the "final prospec" saddles, at least not most of the ones I've seen. Maybe they could be found on the earliest Goldstar's, but my -85 did not have them. I think they can be found mostly on the Springy Sound strats.

Mike

My Goldstar Sound has got the final pros. saddles... I'm actually not that happy with their performance. The screws are a little loose, and sometimes they cut the light gauge strings. What can you tell from this about my guitar? Is it an early one? It is purple sparkle, and with the 60's CBS look, and the neck that is shaped like a V not C (Comfy!)...
The sound however is awsome!

Just a few corrections - I have owned about 25 Tokai Goldstar Sounds from Japan and:

1) All of them had "FINAL PROSPEC" stamped saddles on them.

2) E-Series pickups were put only on the ST-80 models or higher. They
did not have cloth-covered wiring like the U series pups. They were
designed by Dimarzio while the E-Series, I'm not sure who made them,
but I think they were made by Tokai.

Just FYI :wink:

:lol: My TST -80 has e on them, the catalogue states that they are VS-1 by Dimarzio, the tech at Dimarzio said that they are the same construction and specs as the Class of 55- bright and twangy and beveled mags.

The new Japanese Goldstars have no serial numbers and the "wrong" headstock shape. The machine heads have the correct design but no Kluson logo.

However - the body is pukka 2-piece alder for a 50's replica (Fenders very first cost-cutting exercise was to buy narrower billets of timber hence the three-peice bodies ever since).

I couldn't be more pleased with my new "vintage" guitar and my USA Standard Strat is for sale. I'm so impressed with this guitar.

Latest posts

Back