Where can I order a Tokai/Edwards from APART from Ishibashi?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proflonghair

Reaction score
Well hello - hope you can help me out here: I want to order either a Tokai or an Edwards Les Paul Special - Ishibashi don't carry Tokai anymore, and they won't have Edwards DCs in stock 'til August. So, where else can I order one from? I'm in the UK, and the best price I can find at the moment is ?499, which is ?50 too much IMO.

HELP!

For the sake of saving ?50 I'd just get it, trust me, you only want one bad experience with customs delays, import duty, hidden shipping charges etc to make it worth while.
I seem to remember that Richtone had some specials at good prices and they have good aftersales too.
If you were saving a couple of hundred quid it might be worth sourcing one overseas but not for ?50.
Just my opinion.

Hi Proflonhair!

I fully agree with Canterbilly's point. For a delta of 50.-- pounds I would not order from Japan. I reguarly buy from Japan, but only high-ends which are VERY difficult to get in Europe/US. The shipment cost is substantial, as are custom-fees and VAT.

Actually Hisashi has quite a number of Tokais on sale at the moment. I just bought an LS320 from him.

Richtone appears to be a serious Tokai dealer, otherwise ask TOGPS here in the forum. He has a really big selection and shipment from Germany is not that expensive.

Cheers. Rupert

Hi proflonghair
Yes listen to the posts above Go for togps or villager off the forum send a PM to them,if you do buy international then you can add 20% on top+shipping

Cheers all - haven't checked back since Friday, so I hope that you won't be annoyed that I have inadvertantly (and completely unrepentantly!) ignored your advice!

I checked with togps as a matter of course, but he only had single cutaway 2 x P90s in cherry (not the biggest fan of any of these three features!) so although his communications and customer service was excellent, that was a no go. I forgot about Villager - he's a cool guy, and I wish I had remembered to check with him. Next time! James at Richtone was great too, and really knows his product (unlike 99% of guitar shops, IMO) but didn't have any room for maneouvre - fair play to him.

Anyhow... I had just about given up hope of getting my hands on a junior, especially when I read everywhere online that Edwards prices are on the up, they're growing in popularity in the native Japanese market, and the JRs are now a custom order item, not available 'til August at the earliest.

So imagine my delight when I pounced on Katana's auction for a brand new TV Yellow (not the hideous relic!) Edwards Jr on Saturday morning! SD P90 versus the Tokai's iffy Gotoh, one piece versus the Tok's three piece body, nitro versus poly finish. And to top it all - it weigh's 6.1 lbs! (I'm not knocking Tokais, I loved my SG70 - the Edwards just seems to have a slightly higher spec.)

To top it all, even with delivery, exorbitant Customs charges and ridiculous Parcelforce fees, it still comes in at ?450. And I'm well aware of all the import aggro, but I bet it'll be worth it!

Very much looking forward to being back in the fold, wil post pics when it arrives, and thanks for your (unheeded) advice.

Sounds like a smart guitar at a good price. The MOST important thing is that you'll get THE guitar you want. Look forward to seeing some pics when it arrives.

Good choice ... you won't regret it !!!

I've bought my 90Lts there - no problems at all !!!!

... and the upgoing prices of Eddy militate in favour of these guitars ... :wink:

Roger

must be this one here, yeah?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33038&item=120114139576

I recently sold this MINT one & ESP gig bag for $700, delivered, to a lucky Tokai Forum member..............no waiting 'til August, higher prices, no $100 shipping, and no customs duties there..........
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180105205375

That's the one! Bit weird that some of the TVY Edwards have serial numbers and some don't, but he's a reputable seller, so I'm not losing any sleep. I'm looking forward to having a MIJ guitar again after too long (ahem... just five weeks) in the strat wilderness.

Latest posts

Back