Tokai 52 RI questions

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristian

Reaction score
Hello. I've been looking for a new Tele lately and am intrigued by the blonde tokai versions, such as these examples on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2503283122&category=2384

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2503053509&category=33039

The color is definitely the one I want (think Buckleys) and the buzz on Tokai's seem pretty positive. However I'm leery of buying a guitar sight unseen, and was hoping some of you had experience with this Tokai variety, or possibly these sellers. I've got some great pickups for a Tele, so the electronic tone is not a concern. What I am interested in is the neck shape/size and the general feel of the guitar. Any other information is of course welcome.
Thanks
Kristian

Hi Kristian, Since these Breezysound tele's are quite new you should be aware of that they are probably Korean (I would guess it's an ATE-33 like on this catalog page: http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai20014.jpg - the japanese models are not shown in this catalog). Looking at the headstock of the one in the first link it doesn't seem to have Kluson type split post tuners which the japanese does. The fingerboard radius also seems to be flatter than the 7,25" used on the japanese guitars.

There is only one strat and one tele produced in japan, the AST-50 strat and the ATE-50 tele, all other strats/teles are made in Korea. There also seem to be some custom shop versions of these available. Since I haven't tested any of the korean models I don't know what the quality is like. I do however own a japanese AST-50 strat (2002 model) and its a great guitar, almost as good as the TST-50 in the 80's. I would try to find either a new ATE-50 or an 80's model if I were you. The newer japanese models should be identifieable by the Kluson type tuners and the 7,25" fingerboard radius, not all of them have a "made in Japan" sticker, mine doesn't.

Mike

I just got an Ebay 52 Tokai and it is Korean. I am very impressed with the playability of this guitar. The neck in particular . It plays flawlessly up and down the fretboard. No buzzing, fret out ect. I replaced the pickups with a Fender in the neck and a Duncan in the bridge. The pups that are stock are ok at best. The nut was a bit sloppy in terms of needing a bit of sanding. The tuners are decent. Initially I was going to do a Klusen replacement but I have no tuning issues with this guitar. I play the hell out of it and it stays in pitch. I initially replaced the saddles with compensated brass saddles but was unsatisfied with the tone as it was just too bright. I put the originals back in and am now content with the set up because I think it sounds better. The guitar itself is very loud and full unplugged another big plus in my book. The finish on the guitar is very nice. It is a fundamentally sound instrument and definately exceeds what I expected to find for the price paid. Outside of the average stock tones this guitar is certainly an equal to any of the Mex RI Fenders. I like it much better than the MIM standards, ( the neck is the reason). For the 400.00 spent I am more than satisfied and will certainly get another Tokai at some point in the future.

If you go to Harmony Central and read user reviews you will find up and down the product line that people have great things to say about Tokai guitars. The handful I read for your/my specific guitar are what made me decide to take the plunge. I have played many guitars in the last 18years that I have been playing and this one appears to be a keeper... Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back