Questions for Greco guitars please post here

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I might catch a ride on the "tell me about xyz Greco" train. Looking to learn some specifics about mine. Any info on EG#, pickups, etc. appreciated.

Pics:

Greco #1 - Limit of my knowledge is its a 1989 MC Les Paul, Serial 9 5583. Appears to be long tenon neck joint.
MC1.jpg
MC3.jpg

MC2.jpg
MC5.jpg

MC4.jpg

Greco #2 - 1980 Super Power semi-hollow LP, Serial 0 6928
Dowel neck joint.
SP1.jpg
SP2.jpg

SP3.jpg
SP4.jpg

SP5.jpg

Hi y'all. I'm Frank, and Imanidiot. (i started a seperate thread saying the same thing)

I have lots of guitars, mostly Gibbo LP's and Fender Teles, some Strats.

I just picked up a Greco Goldtop in really excellent cond. .It kinda reminds me of a 57RI, but the neck is thinner than a Gibbo 57 neck. Yhe neck is set.

There are no serial numbers that i can see. Where do i look?. It's got the Gibbo open-book HS, nothing on the HS except GRECO in MOP(?), and a trussrod cover that says Les Paul (in script). It has the bone tuners, neck binding and abolone trap inlays. I can also see the Mahoghany cap thiockness near the lower bout b/c of the thinner binding, just like the Gibbo RI sereis.

and help in identifying this baby would be greatly appreciated.

FWIW, it looks like it was played a handful of times and then put away. It also came w/ a HSC.

Also, are ALL Grecos MIJ, or are some made other places?

Thanks guys!

hmmmm....

i posted in my other thread, but .....it has a long neck teneo, real maple cap, big pots, braided wire and numbers in the neck cavity that say either
5-61 or S-61 and beneath it, EG-70

thanx

D'oh!
:lol:
like i said i'm real new to the Greco world

so, is an EG-70 the same as an EG-700?

and any ideas on the value it's 99% mint. (US$)

also, what year do you guess it is?

i'll hopefully get some pics up soon.

thanx again for your help!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

EG-70 = 70,000 Yen = $590 US in 2007 but probably not that different in 1991.
It's not one of the high end models.
For the year I would take a guess and say 1991 mainly because of the unbroken o in the Greco logo.

cool.
thanks again for the info/help :wink:

just kinda hard to believe Gibson still *allowed* (or didn't sue) Greco to use that headstock shape.

(wow, i'm the same guy as frankthomson...i forgot i registered 3 yrs ago)
d'oh!

In Japan 70,000 Yen for a Greco is pretty cheap compared to a Gibson which can be around 300,000 Yen.
If I was in Japan in the 1980's I'd take a Greco over a Gibson anyday.
In the 1970's and 1980's and early 1990's Greco's were not exported from Japan but Ibanez guitars were exported of course.
Apparently in Japan, Gibson can't do much to stop guitar companies using the open book headstock so Greco can use a open book headstock if the Grecos are only sold in Japan but if they are sold overseas (especially to the USA) like Ibanez is then Gibson will probably sue if the guitars are using the open book headstock.

well, if they weren't exported, how did i get one? :eek:

shouldn't that really add to the value?

ok, i'll sell it for only $20k.....firm :D

Hi all.
Anyone can tell me if I can get a set of tuners for a Greco Strat with Greco Deluxe written on double line?
I have got an SE600 but the E tuner have no script on it, instead the other 5 tuners have Greco Deluxe stamp on it.
Could be a replacement but the tarnish on all the tuners is the same.
All Greco Strat guitars I have seen, have Greco Deluxe stamp on it, but I have seen a Greco SE600 with only Deluxe written on it (like Tokai tuners).
Is it common for Greco guitars find this stuff on it, or I have seen guitars with replaced tuners ???

I've found some things of interest about the early Greco construction techniques.
The current high end Gibson Les Paul Supreme model uses a chambered body like some of the early Grecos.
The early Greco tenon and 2 dowel neck joint is really a long tenon neck joint.
I thought it was a short tenon but the Gibson short tenon is not visible at all in the pickup cavity.
Basically the long tenon everyone knows that extends into the pickup cavity is only the bottom of the tenon with all the top being removed by a router.
So the tenon you see extending into the pickup cavity is only the bottom 10% or so of the whole tenon with 90% of the top of the tenon being routed away.
Same goes for what's usually called a medium tenon but the length extending into the pickup cavity is a bit smaller.

The tenon that doesn't extend at all into the pickup cavity but is still visible in the pickup cavity (unlike the Gibson short tenon) is a long tenon that has had the tenon cut to fit flush with the top edge of the pickup cavity when it is fitted and therefore the tenon doesn't need to be routed.
This is used on some 1970's Gibsons and the Greco tenon and dowel joint where the tenon is flush with the edge of the pickup cavity and doesn't extend into the pickup cavity.
The dowels are just for a bit of reinforcement and aren't really necessary but add strength.

http://www.cosmikdebris.co.uk/pics/doweltenon.jpg

The standard Gibson uses a shorter tenon than the Greco tenon and dowel and the standard Gibson doesn't use any dowel reinforcements so the standard Gibson joint must be weaker than the Greco tenon and dowel.
In fact the Greco tenon and dowel joint is probably the strongest tenon joint of all the different tenon joints.

http://latesixtieslespauls.com/images/tenons%20lpf.jpeg.jpg

The top one is a Gibson short tenon.
The middle one is a Gibson transitional long tenon from the early 1970's like the Greco tenon and dowel.
The third one is a standard long tenon.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127408

I have been telling everyone for years that the super reals are long tenon...they called it 'deep neck joint' and it goes UNDER the PU cavity, I saw a broken one once thats how I know for sure...

I think the reason they stopped doing it for the mint coll and went to the normal ''long tennon'' was due to cost...routing off the top of a tenon is cheap and easy to set up...fitting a whole tenon into a cavity is not so easy and therefore more costly..

That's interesting about under the pickup cavity.
So do the tenon and dowel joints have two joints one that's flush with the pickup cavity that's visible and one underneath that's not visible.

sneakyjapan said:
yeah...how did you get one?

RE; EG-70..>>well, if they weren't exported, how did i get one?

i traded a guy, i think a music teacher from Cherry Hill NJ...Walt.
we've traded b4...nice guy.

maybe i'll ask him how/where he got it.

i'll keep u posted. :wink:

Latest posts

Back