What do you make of this Love Rock:

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don,t know what model this could be,but could be some information on the hanging tags,or,at least,on the small cardboard telling a serial number and the model(mine came in that way from Yoshi).About the look it is very close to my LS-70F.

That is a beautiful axe, but it's been on several times before. Probably hasn't sold because the price is getting close to Gibson territory (or at least their production models, not the Historic line). If it is an LS200 or better, I think the price would be in line - this is what people are paying for the older quality Tokais. Athough I personally wouldn't buy a guitar through Ebay unless it gave me an instant stiffy, if the seller has some sort of "satisfaction guarntee", I'd think about this one. Top of the line Tokais don't come up too often, at least in North America.

Too bad the serial number looks suspect, and doesn't come with a case, AND most of the seller's feedbacks are from buying, not selling. But he does say he'd consider the high bid, not necessarily the buy-it-now bid. What to do, what to do!

There doesn't seem to be any fret edged binding, so it's either one of those limited editions made in 2001, which, if I remember correctly, came w/o any serial numbers, or a lower model, but definitely no LS-200 upwards. The serial on headstock back looks very poor, probably faked and doesn't fit with the mfg2001 in the description.

Most of them sellers do exactly know what they are selling. If they don't give any additional information or refuse to reply mails I can only recommend to ignore them. Better say goodbye to the dream of getting a highend tokai which is sold underprice by ebayers or regular shop sellers. They don't play guitar, they play with us.

What do i think of it? ... Great looking LS-75F, shame about the fishy seller. Here are my email exchanges with him... (i'm martin btw) ... wasnt too keen on his tone either. Read from the bottom!

Hi Martin,

yes one can assume so?

But as I have already said?

I have not taken it apart and have no intentions of doing so?

It?s a mint as new guitar and as a seller I will have to keep it that way..

The buyer can do what ever they wish with it. It is being sold as is?meaning mint condition

You or anyone else will not be disappointed with this KILLER TOKAI LES PAUL FLAME TOP.

Auction is blow-out priced..these models usually sell for $1600?I have sold 3 for that!

I also have another Tokai?it?s a lemon burst flame top?nitro finish w/ ebony fretboard..its a higher model too

Same thing?.its possibly a ls200-320?no indicators found?its KILLER!!! $1350+

There is more pics here?http://www.jvguitars.com

That?s about all I can tell you

I hope this helps

Joe

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 10:07 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Question for seller -- Item #936540777

Thanks for the reply. So am i right to assume the top is NOT a laminate? and does it have a long neck tenon too by any chance? I'm from the UK and currently in the process of selling my Gibson LP Std so once i do i may well get back to you if you still have it? How much are custom duties these days for shioppin a guitar over?

Thanks

Martin

>From: "Joe Cundy"

>To:

>Subject: RE: Question for seller -- Item #936540777

>Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 08:41:18 -0800

>

>Hi,

>We are not sure of the model...

>Its for sure an AWESOME+++++JAPANESE CRAFTED guitar...

>I had a Tokai Fanatic look it over real good and we opened it up..

>Control cavities & saw no stamps, or serial #'s...

>Hi,

>Buy the look of the rosewood fretboard he thought it was Brazilian

>rosewood

>And he thought it was an ls200...or ls300?...its nitrocellulose lacquer

>finish is deep and the flame top is 3 dimensional

>I was not comfortable with him or myself removing pickups and taking a

>chance chipping the finish on this MINT!!!!! Guitar

>I hope this help you

>Thanks for your interest

>Joe

>

>-----Original Message-----

>From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]

>Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 2:24 AM

>To: [email protected]

>Subject: Question for seller -- Item #936540777

>

>Hi very nice guitar. Does this it have a long neck joint like the Gibson

>Historics? What model number is it in the Tokai Range?

>

>Regards

>Martin

...all his replies made me laugh :D

... us tokaiforum members should stick together thats for sure.

KILLER! MINT! R@RE! R@RE! R@RE! L@@K LOOK L@@K! LAWSUIT! AWESOME! etc.

All watchwords for someone out to rip you off. :evil:

They seem to be in every other American Ebay ad, too. :roll:

Why do poeple feel it necessary to put in feedback like AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA++++++++++++++++++++? :roll: I never saw a B- or C+ ebayer. :p

3 words...Dont do it! I have 2 LS 70's that are identical to this peice. I paid a combined $450 for them both , Yes that is a steal but $1600? That's a rip off! $800 tops and I would be very careful at that! TG

Hey

I can relate to the hype. Every dealer who has a guitar that's 25 years old thinks he or she is "offering a rare opportunity to acquire a collectible classic," when it is probably just an instrument that was at best mediocre then, and is still #%&*@!! now. :evil:

Except for most Tokais, of course. :)

I have subscribed to Vintage Guitar Magazine since 1993 and have seen the price of everything assume preposterous degrees of "collectability." Used to be that mid-70s Strats were post-65 garbage and are now going for $1,500.00-and -up because they have that "Hendrix vibe," whatever that means. So it's just a matter of time until these miscreants start hawking LRs for $1,500 and up as well. If you ever start building guitars, make sure that some big company threatens to sue you for making it too close to their "original"- then you can have that magic "lawsuit" appellation to all your stuff! :roll:

I'm sure that Ned will meet some good dealers and great people at NAMM, but there are a few in the business that are lower than whale poop. (Just my opinion)

The only thing I can see to avoid this is to find a really good dealer who can be trusted. I've bought three really good guitars (Fender Hendrix Tribute Strat, Tokai Silver Star SS-60, and a Les Paul Pro Deluxe) sight unseen (well, seen on the Web, but unplayed by me) at reasonable prices from Elderly Instruments in Michigan. Their condition ratings are accurate and everything came in set up right on the money. They're at: www.elderly.com

and no, I don't work for them! :wink: [/i]

I have to agree with Stokeboy that we Tokai Forum members should stick together. Our ebay seller had a Tokai "Fanatic" look over his guitar, but we have a network of fans from every continent on the globe who are knowledgeable and getting more knowledgeable every day. We must continue to share our information.

"We're all in this together" (Robert Deniro in "Brasil") :wink:

hi guys,

this is getting rediculous...

i especially love the "Brazilian Rosewood" quip, like that is supposed to add $$$$ to the value - CRAP!

ALL rosewood darkens over time, Brazilian, East Indian, Central American, etc, and considering that Gibbo and Fenda stopped really using B.R. in the late 60's and it was put on the endangered list in the 80's it is not the type of thing that Companies kept using on regular production. Tokai ONLY used it for the TOP-END LS-200 guitar, 1 model only, nothing else, no Strat or 335 got it. The new LS-320 has it too.

I have worked with wood for a long time and even i get 50/50 with recognising Brazilian rosewood. IMO, anyone claiming their guitar has Brazilian rosewood has probably never seen it in the "flesh", only pictures of already aged stuff.

Wow, that was $1.00 worth...I'm not trying to put anyones nose out of joint or say they are trying to rip anyone off, I just think they don't really know all the facts and make the presumption that because its gone quite dark, it must be B.R.

Peter Mac

Hi Peter,

I don't care if it's brazilian or not as long as it looks like it. But one of my reborns, a '78 LS-60 seems to have one or at least looks exactly like having one. It makes absolutely no sense to me to equip a lower model like LS-60 with a brazilian rwb but I and nobody else couldn't tell it from original ones' used up to mid-sixties. It's deep dark brown with a reddish tint and very grainy and soft looking like shiny chocolate, hmmmmh :lol:
And that was one of the main reasons to buy the axe.

BTW my LS-200 and lots of them over the years came definitely with a black ebony board.

Stokeboy said:
...all his replies made me laugh :D

... us tokaiforum members should stick together thats for sure.

Screw that guy. He had a Goldtop Love Rock on Ebay in a no reserve auction. I couln't tear my eyes away from it for days, including at work. Even though the neck profile was fatter than I like, I was prepared to put in a few sniper bids. 2 hours before the end of the auction, he yanked it! It was only around $725 bit he REALLY wanted $1150 for it with no case! He better go buy some ketchup so it will make the taste of EATING those guitars more pallatable.

i think the worst attitude of those fishy guys is that they never tell you the model designation even if they know. they just want to let you think that their guitars are comparable in terms of value to $3k and upward guitars.
actually they sell the cheaper models with 2 or 3p backs, 14deg headstock angle, veneer tops, no fret edge binding and so on. sometimes they try to sell koreans modified to japanese looking ones just by swapping trc and cc plates. :x
just take a trip to tokio, walk around the corner and you'll be offered tons of used tokais LS-xx between 200 and 350$

supernout said:
i think the worst attitude of those fishy guys is that they never tell you the model designation even if they know. they just want to let you think that their guitars are comparable in terms of value to $3k and upward guitars.
actually they sell the cheaper models with 2 or 3p backs, 14deg headstock angle, veneer tops, no fret edge binding and so on. sometimes they try to sell koreans modified to japanese looking ones just by swapping trc and cc plates. :x
just take a trip to tokio, walk around the corner and you'll be offered tons of used tokais LS-xx between 200 and 350$

If you guys here know of any Japanese dealers that would sell Tokais to US customers, let me know! I'd like to get as many Tokais as I could at $300! I just bought an LS75Q VF, that I sold on EBay for $800. I just wanted to see the quality of the guitars (why I purchased it) and I was impressed. I didn't really make anything off of the guitar, since shipping, Paypal and Ebay took their turns reamming me! :cry:
If anybody knows where I could find them cheaper, share the knowledge, I'd like to buy a few more to keep and possibly sell in the US! :D

Back