amp too big

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there,
I run a small recording studio, and I see a fair number of different amps come through. I've seen probably 4 different Hot Rod Devilles over the past couple of years and 3 out of 4 have had badly microphonic tubes which becomes much more pronounced at higher volumes. I don't know what stock tubes are on these, but I suspect the Devilles I've heard were shipped with weak tubes. (For note--I still have the original tubes in my 1974 Fender Twin, and they still sound great). I actually really like the tone of Devilles (they record nicely if they're working properly), and it's handy having the channel switching on them compared with an old-school type amp like a Deluxe Reverb where you need a distortion pedal or another amp if you need to go clean to dirty within a song. I'd consider getting a Deville, but I wonder a bit about build quality too--2 out of the four I've seen had dodgy input jacks as well--looked like a cheap jack poorly soldered to a circuit board. Again, this is something that could be improved by a good amp tech.

They cost a bit more than an Ampeg Jet, but my favourite little amp these days is my Vox AC-15 (UK made, although I've heard good things from my amp tech about the Chinese ones). If you're going to get one of these, pay the extra money for the blue alnico speaker--it turns these into a different amp! (Greenbacks are ok too, but different tone). You can go from nice clean chime to a nice bluesy grit with a strat, and with a Les Paul ( or I should say, Love Rock!) you can get a great thick tone, all at fairly low volumes, and no pedals. If you need to really keep it down for the neighbours, just dial the master volume down. The AC-30 is twice as loud and more money--not what you're looking for. You could probably just about trade your Deville in for an AC15.

Good luck! :D
________
Starcraft replays

cheshirecatsmile said:
Hi there,
I run a small recording studio, and I see a fair number of different amps come through. I've seen probably 4 different Hot Rod Devilles over the past couple of years and 3 out of 4 have had badly microphonic tubes which becomes much more pronounced at higher volumes. I don't know what stock tubes are on these, but I suspect the Devilles I've heard were shipped with weak tubes. (For note--I still have the original tubes in my 1974 Fender Twin, and they still sound great). I actually really like the tone of Devilles (they record nicely if they're working properly), and it's handy having the channel switching on them compared with an old-school type amp like a Deluxe Reverb where you need a distortion pedal or another amp if you need to go clean to dirty within a song. I'd consider getting a Deville, but I wonder a bit about build quality too--2 out of the four I've seen had dodgy input jacks as well--looked like a cheap jack poorly soldered to a circuit board. Again, this is something that could be improved by a good amp tech.

They cost a bit more than an Ampeg Jet, but my favourite little amp these days is my Vox AC-15 (UK made, although I've heard good things from my amp tech about the Chinese ones). If you're going to get one of these, pay the extra money for the blue alnico speaker--it turns these into a different amp! (Greenbacks are ok too, but different tone). You can go from nice clean chime to a nice bluesy grit with a strat, and with a Les Paul ( or I should say, Love Rock!) you can get a great thick tone, all at fairly low volumes, and no pedals. If you need to really keep it down for the neighbours, just dial the master volume down. The AC-30 is twice as loud and more money--not what you're looking for. You could probably just about trade your Deville in for an AC15.

Good luck! :D

Thanks a lot! Yeah my deville is a 02 made in America, dont know if it means better build quality though hhaaha. the tubes in them are 'groove tubes' with the fender logos on them. I'm hesitant with the VOXes because they are Chinese, and i've not warmed up to Chinese things yet... or else I really love the look and sound of them. The british ones seem really expensive! My first option now is the ampeg, i think

OrvilleBoy said:
My first option now is the ampeg, i think

I've had good experiences with Ampeg amps too--especially the old non-reissue ones. A friend loaned me an old ('66 I think) Reverberocket (sp?), for a couple of years and he had to fight me to get it back. It had the original Jensen alnico speaker in it and it sounded sweet! I've never played on a Jet, but I'm sure it's similar. If you get one let us know how it sounds! :D
________
Vaporizer Store

I just bought a reissue Ampeg Jet II (they are discontinuing them this year) and for a small amp (15watts), it's a tone monster. I think they also make a higher output (50watts?) model as the Super Jet.

Great amps.

marcusnieman said:
I just bought a reissue Ampeg Jet II (they are discontinuing them this year) and for a small amp (15watts), it's a tone monster. I think they also make a higher output (50watts?) model as the Super Jet.

Great amps.

ohh.... discontinuing them, huh? do you know if there will be a replacement amp of a similar size, or?

I considered getting a Swart Space Tone 5-watter because the tone samples were so amazing (then again. maybe it was Greg Koch's playing :wink: ) but I wound up getting the 20-watt Atomic Space Tone because I can't live without reverb and tremelo. Got it used off eBay and it is very very very nice if you love the Deluxe Reverb thing without the recapping, expenses etc. of a Blackface (which I think is one of the best amps ever made)

Twenty watts with the Atomic is still too loud for my use but it sounds great at lower volumes. Strat tone is beautiful and the Reborn Old sounds very crunchy indeed. One weird thing is that the controls are in the back but I almost like it now.

Michael Swart, on his web site, seems to be cooking up a low-wattage amp with a 12-inch speaker (based on the 5 watter Space Tone) that has reverb. His amps are pricey (but not outrageous) but in this case you get what you pay for. Plus they are retro lookin' in a tweedy sort of way.

I know that I sound like a total ampsnob now but the difference seems real to me. Just sold a few guitars and amps and it's paid for. My advice (free advice is always worth whatever you pay for it) is to go for the best sounding amp you can't really afford. It's worth it! 8)

This thread seems to cover the issue I currently have. My Laney VC30 is a great sounding amp, but I never get to drive the tubes to get the best sound as it's just too **** loud.

I am (almost) about to buy one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140113093303

Partly because it looks like it's had nice attention paid to it (hand-wired with stock problems sorted) and the guy appears to know his onions.

I am deliberately waiting a week so I know I havn't rushed in to the purchase. Does anyone here have an opinion if this amp looks the way to go?
________
F50 GT

yeah that looks like a pretty handy amp. plus it's got a lot of tweaking options so it might be what you're looking for!

i've always wanted to buy a VC30 / 15 coz to me they are like the cooler looking version of the AC30/15. I've just never plugged into one, hence not buying one.

i know i started the thread complaining about big amps but i went out and bought a head and a cab. but that's just coz when transporting, i'd only need to move the head.

i bought a VASE 120w Bassman Deluxe head, and a Marshall AVT 4x12 slanted cab.

played its first gig on friday night, it worked really really well.

in terms of sound, the VASE is a clean amp, but it's not pristine clean, like my Hot Rod Deville. I think that may be due to the Marshall cab, but whatever it is, it's worked out quite well. :D :D

The guy who mods the Harley Benton combo also does a modded Epi Valve Junior head which I nearly opted for. But as these are practically the same amp in a different housing I figured the only thing I would be gaining if I bought the head was a 16ohm speaker output, and I'd be losing the convenience of an internal portable speaker.
The head does look cool though!
________
vapor tower vaporizer

HA yeah i saw the epi's and was wondering why u werent looking at them instead. they definitely look prettier. :p

I Just bought a Epi Valve Junior and wow! I was surprised for $99.00 bucks!
I was so happy I ordered the matching 1-12 Emience cab. Shipping the 18th.
And they look real cool. 8)
Maybe mods later on. Maybe change they tubes but I am in no hurry.
Yeah it is MIC but it seems mods, parts ect... will be easy to get and fairly inexpensive. Doesn`t really need mods yet and pleanty loud.
Just your basic tube amp. Will work most places. And days it won't I got my 1976 Peavey Musician.

Marcus,
I got my good guitar guys who is a good amp guy in Dallas?

OK, so my new Harley Benton GA5 "Hot Rod Valve Special" arrived today...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140113093303
First impressions - Very good at low volumes.
I have not had chance to play loud yet, but the L-Pad speaker volume control is pretty useful when you have a four month old baby in the house!
Hence the reason for my purchase - I needed a small amp that could achieve great tone at low volumes... This seems to fit the bill. So all in all I am pretty happy to recommend the guy's work to other people.

Makes a change to order something online and not be disappointed!
I have never heard a GA5 standard so can't comment on comparison, but the features of this modded amp make it surprisingly versatile. Perhaps I'll post some sound samples in the near future so you people can hear it's satisfying tone.
________
Ford MTX-75 transmission specifications

Change the tubes. Put a good high quality tubes. The best mod of all for Valve Junior and GA5. And like the Epi VJ it doesn't void the warranty.

great that you like it, all the different control options look interesting!

i was reading the description... can you really switch the amp to sound like a Marshall, Vox and Fender???? (so cleverly coded 'M' 'V' and 'F'!!!)

OrvilleBoy said:
i was reading the description... can you really switch the amp to sound like a Marshall, Vox and Fender???? (so cleverly coded 'M' 'V' and 'F'!!!)

Not really, no. It was a bold claim, which I've noticed has been revised for his more recent listings to "Position '1' is 'Rich and Mellow'/ Position '2' is 'Clean and Bright' / Position '3' is the 'High Gain' Sound." -
This is more accurate.

The bias switch seems to me almost a "stepped volume", controlling how hard the valves are driven. That said, I do find it pretty useful... and if it were controllable via footswitch it would be an awesome feature. Each position gives a very useable sound with its own character, and I'm finding it fun playing a riff and switching between the settings for a different feel.

The amp is really demonstarting the tonal variety of my silver star and I noticed it responds exceptionally well to pickup changes etc. - I do not miss endlessly fiddling around with an amps EQ!

Needless to say, the more time I spend getting to know this amp the more convinced I am that I would struggle to find something better suited to my needs for the money.
________
herbalaire

Back