Tokai MAT "Most Advanced Technology" Model M-551 3

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, they were made from combinations of 'advanced' materials such as composite carbon fibre/fibreglass I believe. I have never seen one in the flesh but they are supposed to be high quality and probably cost more than the standard models. Hope this helps.
Joe

Hi guys,

There was another MAT on eBay which was the M801 in Gloss Blue. It is not carbon composite though.
I have already emailed the seller informing him but it sounds like he is ignoring the information

Peter Mac

jpo1953 said:
Yes, they were made from combinations of 'advanced' materials such as composite carbon fibre/fibreglass I believe. I have never seen one in the flesh but they are supposed to be high quality and probably cost more than the standard models. Hope this helps.
Joe

Hey just want to thank those that responded to my Tokai MAT question. I ended up getting one that was on ebay. 1985 Tokai MAT M-551 model in red with black pickguard, and matching red headstock. SSS config and she it gorgeous, plays better than some Fender's.

Take care!

Alan

Alan, did that guitar have a locking trem? From what I remember it didn't, it also had the same tuners as a TST-40 and AST-40 strat (not "Kluson" type). If this is the case it's probably a MAT M-451 (check this catalog page: http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai854.jpg). Personally I would prefer the non-locking standard strat trem. I own a 1984 MAT M-750 series prototype myself in copper chrome finish with a H/S/H configuration not available on the 1985 production guitars. It also has gold hw and a locking trem. I agree with you, it's a great guitar.

Mike

Hey Mike, just wanted you to know got the one with the Red on Red headstock body with 3 singles. Model M-551. Don't care much for the locking system but it should sound fine. Thanks for the reply.

Never owned a Red guitar and now I do!

Cheers!

Alan

Latest posts

Back