should I pay this?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am new to the forum and am thinking about purchasing a Love Rock.
The guitar is a 5-6 year old Korean model made for the Canadian market and the seller is asking $500 for it. Is this a fair price? I am still waiting to see pics as this is a private online deal.

Regards,

ogp

true :) but it still seems overpriced.

500$ canadian works out to around 333euros and this is for a 5-6 year old guitar.
you can get a brand spanking new ALS43 from 275 to 325euros.

The price of the guitar is actually $450 CDN and $50 for shipping within Canada. I am glad that I asked here first as I am new to collecting Tokai guitars. I really dont mind spending up to $500. I have heard a lot of good things about the Tokai Love Rock. I have tried the $500 Epi's and they are easily available here but a Tokai is hard to come by around here...especially a new one. If anyone can point me in the direction of a dealer in Canada I would really appreciate it.

Regards,

ogp

http://www.theguitarworld.com

These guys have Tokai Love Rocks

Keep your eye on ebay and craigslist too.

http://stores.ebay.ca/INSTRUMENTS-INTERNATIONAL_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

I've seen this seller have Tokais before and his shipping rate is very reasonable.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the tips mongoose, I am going to send an email off to GuitarWorld in Mississauga.

The guitar was already listed on eBay at first and it didn't sell. I contacted the seller about 12 hrs before the auction ended about sending me pics of the actual guitar as the one he was using was a generic pic from google.
I have yet to see the pics of the actual guitar. He is supposed to email them to me this week. After the auction ended he then asked me if I would be interested in making an offer on the guitar. I told him I would on the condition that I see pics of the actual item.

He was asking $450 for the guitar on eBay and all he knows is that it had no serial number which makes in Korean made. He says it has a set neck and mahogany body with a maple top. It's a cherry sunburst. I did not know that the Korean made guitars had mahogany bodies. I thought they where made of alder. Again...that is why I am here looking for your expert opinons on this. Has soon as I have pics of the guitar I will post with more info.

Regards,

ogp

Just wait, there will be plenty of nice TOKAIS on for sale on the web
TOGPS , one of our gurus has a few bewdies.

I personally wouldnt get a Korean made one since the Japanese ones are still available at reasonable prices
I bought my Love Rock LS-70F 98 model, direct from Japan US$599 + US$120 shipping
It's now my no 1 guitar, the LP Jr, sadly, sits at home, while the MIJ Strat still comes to the gigs.... Go figure

It might be hard in Canada to get Tokais but on the web its not bad, plenty of honest & reputable dealers, but as always ask here first
Plenty of people here to get you the info you need IMHO
Love this place

Thanks for the info hawkeye...I am probably gonna do just what you say and keep waiting for a Japanese one. I keep seeing them on Ebay for $800-$1200 which is a little out of my range but I will try to go as high as $600-$700. You see...I did try a Japanese version a few years back and it was a real nice player and I have owned both a Tokai strat and tele so I know the quality of workmanship is good. I now have a Squier Tele, a Epi 335 and now...NEED a Tokai Love Rock! :lol:

regards,

ogp

Too bad I'm not left handed. Check this one out: http://www.theguitarworld.com/product_info.php?cPath=10&products_id=15
BTW hello to OGP. I'm from East York.

mongoose said:
http://www.theguitarworld.com

These guys have Tokai Love Rocks

Keep your eye on ebay and craigslist too.

http://stores.ebay.ca/INSTRUMENTS-INTERNATIONAL_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

I've seen this seller have Tokais before and his shipping rate is very reasonable.

Good Luck.

I'm left handed :D I bought a 2 yr old black Tokai Love Rock that looks brand new, hard to believe it's supposed to be used, for $499 in Owen Sound, ON in Jan. I got an amp, gig bag, and strap with it. It's absolutely beautiful and a lefty too :p

Funkynassau

oldguitarplayer said:
The guitar was already listed on eBay at first and it didn't sell. I contacted the seller about 12 hrs before the auction ended about sending me pics of the actual guitar as the one he was using was a generic pic from google.
I have yet to see the pics of the actual guitar. He is supposed to email them to me this week. After the auction ended he then asked me if I would be interested in making an offer on the guitar. I told him I would on the condition that I see pics of the actual item.
He was asking $450 for the guitar on eBay and all he knows is that it had no serial number which makes in Korean made.

Hi,

I emailed this guy when he first put up this auction, and I got a fairly poor impression. At first it was listed with a photo of a Japanese made LP. He was honest enough to correct his listing (with another photo, also not of the guitar up for auction), but anyone putting guitars up for auction on ebay who can't borrow or buy a cheap digital camera these days, shouldn't be putting auctions on ebay! I bought a Japanese LP a few months back from a US seller (LS-65 model, 1995), and was very glad I spent a bit more for it than a Korean model ($700US +$50 shipping and a bit of duty). I tried a few Korean models back when Songbird Music in Toronto had a bunch, and none of them made me want to sell my Gibson. The Korean models were good enough though that if you have a firm budget I'd strongly recommend one over an Epiphone or something else similar. If you're patient, ebay often has them, and fairly cheap.
Good luck! :D
________
Fix ps3

I emailed that seller during his ebay auction too. He originally called the guitar an 80's Love Rock but showed a picture of a Korean one with the backwards controls and rounded horn. Afterward, he called it Korean but changed the picture to one of the more traditional design.

I believe I recall these being sold at Mike's in Thorold for $500 new in change a while back.

No doubt this is still a fine guitar you're looking at but I'd rightly be suspicious and ABSOLUTELY wait for the pictures.

Or, pay a few hundred more and get an old Japanese one from a more trusting source.

Latest posts

Back