Is It a ST60 or a ST80?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIJvintage

Reaction score
I've read here & there and I still haven't been able to determine if this Tokai is a ST60 or a ST80 model. I know that someone out there with more knowledge than me can make an educated guess. So, what is it experts?

Here's the set of attributes.

2 piece center seam body
Goldstarcenterseamroute.jpg

steel block w/Final Prospect saddles
Goldstarcenterseamback.jpg

U stamped pups
SunburstTokaiUpickups.jpg

script logo Goldstar
L11578-2.jpg

L11578 serial number, 3 color sunburst
L11578-1.jpg

So, is it a ST60 or an ST80? I'm sure the U stamped pups are going to be a determining factor but is that the only difference between the ST60 & the ST80?

Thanks for the clarification Mark :)

I've been over this thing with a fine tooth comb and everything looks untouched under the hood, all virgin solder.

what pups would be on a ST80?

thanks again villager; you have confirmed my suspicions, as I had my doubts that this one was a ST80

it would have been much easier if someone had not have taken the model sticker with the number off :lol:

IF I ever sell it, I guess I would label it as a ST60 but have no plans presently to sell; it's one of the best Strats I've ever played :)

Hi guys,
this guitar is an ST-50 YSOR. It's the 'U' that gives it away, in that Goldstar sounds had different pickup letters for ST-50's and ST-60's - Springysounds did not.
It has an obvious Alder body, 1963 radius fingerboard and square string tree, but on an ST-60 Goldstar, the pickups are stamped "V'.

regards
Peter mac

thanks guys for the plethora of Tokai info; this forum is the place to go for info

I'm really glad that I now have a much better understanding of this animal, even though its value (technically) just dropped, again :lol:

So Peter, do you know what the difference between the U stamped and V stamped pups are? Is it the magnets, windings, any idea why the models ST50 and ST60 would have an original price difference of I suppose 10,000 yen, because of the pups?

This is some very interesting stuff, even if I am losing money :wink:

Even more confusing is that Goldstar Sound strat specs (from the first year - 1984) say that TST-50 should have "ST Vintage mkII" pickups (stamped VII) (TST-60, ST Vintage pickups, stamped V as Peter Mac mentioned). Many early Goldstars however are equipped with the "U" stamped pickups used for the Springy's. "U" and "VII" pickups are not the same, the "U" pickups have slightly higher DC resistance.

I suspect Tokai continued using the "U" pickups they still had left and then replaced them with the "VII" pickups.

Mike

javelin70 said:
Even more confusing is that Goldstar Sound strat specs (from the first year - 1984) say that TST-50 should have "ST Vintage mkII" pickups (stamped VII) (TST-60, ST Vintage pickups, stamped V as Peter Mac mentioned). Many early Goldstars however are equipped with the "U" stamped pickups used for the Springy's. "U" and "VII" pickups are not the same, the "U" pickups have slightly higher DC resistance.

I suspect Tokai continued using the "U" pickups they still had left and then replaced them with the "VII" pickups.

Mike

I wonder if the combination of the U stamped pups & the L115** serial number means anything as far as the transition time frame from Springy to Goldstar?

This particular Goldstar is probably the best Goldstar I've had as far as overall quality & playability. It's an amazing Strat, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's an early one.

hi guys,
- Mike, that is a great point, considering that Tokai had 2 styles going ( ST for Local market and TST for export market) It could be that there were slight differences in the final build.

In terms of serial numbers, after 1982 they were purely cosmetic. They are designed to reflect the vintage model of Fender they are replicating - not Tokai serialing numbers.
To me, L115** would indicate a guitar made after 1984 if placed in a chronological build order.
Also in the detail of Goldstar the ONLY major difference between the ST-50 and the ST-60 was the pickups.....so spend another 30,000 yen and it will be an ST-70 [ not really - but the theory is somewhat correct]
Also why is it that it can't be a brilliant guitar - as you say the best Goldstar you've ever played- and not be an ST-80??
I have owned and played some real 5H1Tbox 1960 Fenders (worth 40 times as much as the ST-50) which should have been coffee tables.
It's not what brand you play - its how your guitar feels and reponds as you explore her tones...
regards
Peter Mac

Peter Mac said:
hi guys,
- Mike, that is a great point, considering that Tokai had 2 styles going ( ST for Local market and TST for export market) It could be that there were slight differences in the final build.

In terms of serial numbers, after 1982 they were purely cosmetic. They are designed to reflect the vintage model of Fender they are replicating - not Tokai serialing numbers.
To me, L115** would indicate a guitar made after 1984 if placed in a chronological build order.
Also in the detail of Goldstar the ONLY major difference between the ST-50 and the ST-60 was the pickups.....so spend another 30,000 yen and it will be an ST-70 [ not really - but the theory is somewhat correct]
Also why is it that it can't be a brilliant guitar - as you say the best Goldstar you've ever played- and not be an ST-80??
I have owned and played some real 5H1Tbox 1960 Fenders (worth 40 times as much as the ST-50) which should have been coffee tables.
It's not what brand you play - its how your guitar feels and reponds as you explore her tones...
regards
Peter Mac

It IS a brilliant Strat, it IS the best Tokai Strat I've ever played, and I was making an honest attempt at locating as much information as possible concerning it, in comparison to other similar models so, as to peg this particular example with a model number, nothing more or less than others do in this forum.................................

Hi MIJ
My comment was more to do with the "i'm losing value" remark.
Personally I'm pleased a forum member is making enquiries about his 'Lucille' to better appreciate the gem he owns.
What I don't want to see is the type of snobbery that exists with other brands ( oh, it's ONLY a 50 series, mine's an 80 series)

I own a 1947 Harley Knucklehead - pretty rare bike. I don't ride with a club, i ride for me. When i stop beside other bikes - regardless of Brand - i always nod to the rider as a show of respect because i don't care what you're riding . to me it's the fact that you ride.

If we wanted to have a Tokai pissing comp i'd fare pretty well also - considering i have owned a 82 TLS-200 and Tokai M2002 prototype but this is not what it is about. How can you lose value when you've found the guitar that completes you.
It was not my intent to be offensive and if i was, i apologise and i say to you Thanks for being a member and sharing your opinions and questions, i look forward to hearing about further Tokais you will purchase and help kepp the legend living

regards
Peter Mac

Hear, Hear Peter Mac!

I agree - I have some SS38 and SS40 Silver Stars that are killer, in every regard. Haven't swapped the pickups (they are 25-plus years old) and they are fun to play, even with worn frets. I don't care if I ever see or play an SS80 or higher. I also love my lowly LS50 Reborn Old.

To each his own, I say, but cork-sniffers of every stripe, from vintage wine to curly maple, are indeed tedious, IMO.

Have fun with the ax at hand!

Peter Mac said:
Hi guys,
this guitar is an ST-50 YSOR. It's the 'U' that gives it away, in that Goldstar sounds had different pickup letters for ST-50's and ST-60's - Springysounds did not.
It has an obvious Alder body, 1963 radius fingerboard and square string tree, but on an ST-60 Goldstar, the pickups are stamped "V'.

regards
Peter mac

I know that the ST-80 has the 2 piece center seam body but does the ST-60 also have this same feature?

I am curious to know why so many ST-50 models have 3 piece bodies, while I have seen just a small hand full have the center seam 2 piece, such as the example I have?

Is it possible that Tokai used the 2 piece center seam bodies from the higher spec ST-60 & ST-80 models, for just a very few examples of the ST-50, by mistake?

We have seen there are some exceptions to the rule in Tokais and a "lower" model sometimes have higher specs than it should according catalogs but it?s not ususal. Mike(javelin70) stated he got a LS-50 Love Rock over other guitars because it was a really good guitar.

Just trust what Peter says, he has seen(inspected) so many Tokais and not Tokais old guitars to be knowledge enough....

Saying that, I was lucky to try a '78 Reborn LS-60(but different branded),a 1979 Les Paul Reborn LS-80 and a 1981 Love Rock LS-50.Each was different and LS-80 was the best of the 3,being LS-60 second best.LS-50 whereas good,lacked bottom end(because multipiece back and top).....But I feel 2003 LS-320 better and my main prefference when choosing Tokai.

luis, peter makes some valid points, although I'm not real sure about the pissing contests, losing value, & the Harleys..............

What I am interested in the most is the fact that nearly all of the sunburst Goldstars I see that have the U stamped pickups, 9 of 10 or even more, have at least a 3 piece body

So, I go back to my observation; why so many U stamped pickup equipped Goldstars with 3 or more piece bodies, and conversely, why so few of the very same U stamped pickup equipped Goldstars with a 2 piece center seam body?

I am only looking for input from those with the knowledge; looking for valid theories here..........not frivilous comments..............

I have 15 of the goldstars hangin on the wall right now- I'm gonna check um and post what I find-

Back