I keep reading about 'Brazilian' fingerboards?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPCarpenter

Reaction score
What's the deal with brazilian boards. Is it that much better than other rosewoods and if so how can you tell the difference?

brazillian rosewood is supposed to be tighter-grained and thus smoother for bending/vibrato. sonically there's probably very little difference as opposed to indian rosewood (most commonly used rosewood) and supposedly even less of a difference as opposed to madagascan rosewood.

to tell the difference is kind of hard if you don't know from model/year/factory specs... some say they can smell brazillian rosewood but i'm going to call bs on that.

if you have seen enough guitars braz is obvious...

looks like this...

MushroomHandbuilt004.jpg

notice how tight the grain is ..its almost like ebony, and of course the exquisite patina and patterning...

Not to mention thats a hard to find wood these days...
I know that cause i live in Brazil and even here jacarand? (braz rosewood) is not that easy to find... And when you find, wow, what a price!!! :eek:
Another thing I know is that this wood had the cut forbiden here in the middle of the 70?s, so....
As I sad, I still can find, nut since its an old stock, its quite expensive....

Hope it helps

Emil

Latest posts

Back