early stamped gotah paf needed for 1980 reborn LS-80

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably not much help but Tezza-J is selling few pickups on the bay at the moment (inc some tokai ones). He did have some VH-1's but someone has already bought them :wink:

sneakyjapan said:
Japanaxe. is pretty much the same members as here?

Seems to me to be a lot of the same members, but not nearly as active.....yet.

villager, do these look right (from a top view) for a 1980 LS-50, for a stock pup?

Tokai1981LR.jpg

definitely not...hex poles ..strange...look more like DM superdistorts, or some strange breed of PU...I have a double black Gotoh like those..not PAF stamped on the back tho..just GOTOH..

villager said:
definitely not...hex poles ..strange...look more like DM superdistorts, or some strange breed of PU...I have a double black Gotoh like those..not PAF stamped on the back tho..just GOTOH..

Mark, I PMed you on this one because it's a sticky subject concerning a mutual friend...........

MIJvintage said:
villager, do these look right (from a top view) for a 1980 LS-50, for a stock pup?

Tokai1981LR.jpg

I have a 1980 ls50, the pickups do not look like that, all the pole pieces have slot heads.

A difference between LS50/60 and LS-80 is the covers.Last ones have got covered pickups.I have a clear LS-80 Reborn pickup lifted and says as villager told Goto instead of Gotoh.The Goto pups are a little hot in a 8 K range.....I guess it?s not the pickups the important thing but specs: one piece body plus 2 piece solid maple top.I tried one '79 LS-80 against a '81 LS-50 and there were difference.The LS-50 is a good guitar but lacked some sustain unplugged.Onece you plugged both there is no such big difference,being the most important LS-50 works really well on highs and mids frecuencies whereas LS-80 one piece body has a great bass and an overall range on frecuencies(balance)....

I'm more concerned with having the original pups in the monster than anything else; hopefully they are original but I don't have it yet so, I can't investigate until it arrives

villager, I checked out the LS50; checked the solder connections and the backs of the pickups & everything looks original to my eyes. All solder looks very virgin.

The backs of the pups are stamp Patent Applied For made by goto; also they are stamped with a capital T.

I bought this one to sell but it sounds fantastic, it really sounds good :) ; I'll have to evaluate for a keeper, or not.

GotoPAF.jpg

how wierd ...the stamps are right ..but I never ever seen those polepieces before!!!!

tokai continues to surprise us.....

I thought he would have mentioned a PU change....

this thing has a couple of very Grecoesque attributes (1) the tenon has the two dowels, one on each side where the tenon sides meet the mortise faces (2) the headstock face veneer is just like on so many EG models I have seen (3) the color of the cherry on the back is darker like many of the EGs I have seen. Did these come out of the same factory as Greco? I wasn't thinking that.

MIJvintage said:
this thing has a couple of very Grecoesque attributes (1) the tenon has the two dowels, one on each side where the tenon sides meet the mortise faces (2) the headstock face veneer is just like on so many EG models I have seen (3) the color of the cherry on the back is darker like many of the EGs I have seen. Did these come out of the same factory as Greco? I wasn't thinking that.

also has the factory tall frets as on so many EG models :)

Back