Best Tokai LP for under ?600

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy_Joe

Reaction score
After trying various other guitars and finding out they are no match for my Tokai MIJ Explorer, i have decided to go back to Tokai for my next guitar. Now, i'm looking at Les Pauls but don't have the money to buy top of the range ones like the LS1000. I have seen LS70's and LS80's etc for around ?500-?550. I don't know what the difference is between them all so could you enlighten me please!
Guitar will be used more as a metal les paul than a blues les paul if that makes any difference?!

I'm new to the Tokaiforum, but I've figured that the LS-75 is the cheapest MIJ Love Rock-model with a three-piece solid color maple top, the LS-80 is with a two-piece maple top and comes also with transparent colors and the LS-85 F is with a flamed sycamore veneer over a two-piece maple top. The LS-75 and LS-80 are '58 models and LS-85 is the '59 model, so there can be some difference with the neck shape and the fret wire. I think the '59 has bigger wire. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.

I guess all Tokai Love Rocks have quite a vintage feel to them, so if you want a really heavy sound, you may need to change the pickups.

I always think that the pickups and your setup plays more important in the making of a good metal sound. Not saying les paul not a good choice for metals, but to me you don't need anything fancy with vintage specs etc. Just a GOOD les paul needed, so any Japanese Tokai would do ;)

I changed the bridge pickup in my Tokai Explorer to a Bare Knuckle Ceramic Warpig! So yeah i was planning on changing the pickups.

I don't mean death metal distortion, i meant more classic heavy metal ala Zakk Wylde.

For a limited budget
You just cant go wrong with a LS-70-85F
2 piece mahogany back, solid maple top, with a stunning sycamore top veneer
Don't worry about sond differences from a veneered top as the top veneer is only 1-2 mm thick!!!!

I just came back fromn a gig tonight, played most of it on the LS-70F, stunning guitar , covers almost all I want, I also use a Lp Jr & a Fender Strat
But I must say that the Tokai is my main guitar, and it still astounds me how versatile it is. BUT IT IS HEAVY at 4.6 kg so I got myself a handmade strap from a Lady in Coffs Habour here in Oz, 3 " wide with sheepskin padding
Made the gig easy instead of backpain!!!

Here is afew pics of the LS-70F

bf_12_sb.jpg

6f_12_s.jpg

PA040134.jpg

In the uk you can pick up a 70F (which is now the 80F? - depending on japanese inflation.....) for between ?500-?600. I've seen some used ones for a little as ?300 (try the ads at the back of a guitar mag). The ones I've watched on Ebay tend to get very close to new prices.

The way I look at the (formerly) LS60,LS70F and LS80Q are that they are basically the same guitar with the latter two having the addition of a **** fine vaneer.

I've found the pickups on my 70F to be more rocky than bluesy - very high output, but still PAF voiced. When I stick it through my ME50 on the metal distortion setting it does a very convincing early metallica sound - it actually out metals my RG in some areas.

Hawkeye...got that lady's contact details?
Or did you buy it at the Coff's markets?

Yeah dude I've got it

[email protected]

I met her at Coffs Harbour market, when we where up there for a holliday in last november

Her name is Georgie Miller, I ordered my strap just before xmas, got it on fri this week so don't be in a hurry ,it's def worth it.
As I said , played a whole 4 hr gig last night, about 3 hrs worth of Tokai LS-70F at 4.6kg, still heavy but no back pain at 54 years of age, outstanding

Her artwork & craftsmanship is unreal see pics!!
The name on the strap is in memory of my late mother, who sadly passed away in oct last year, I thought it would be appropriate to name the guitar after her!!

I payed around AUS$110-120 plus postage

Please advise her of the lenght required!! mine was just long enough, low slingshot, hipster shooters must advise her ,as it will be to short

She is a good communicator as well

Well here is the pics

finstraphawkan.jpg

P3230551.jpg

P3230542.jpg

P3230549.jpg

P3230548.jpg

P3230553.jpg

P3230547.jpg

They're all pretty **** nice guitars. May also be worth looking at a love rock II, as it's got 24 frets, and slightly better access, 1 piece maple top and 1 piece back and coil tap for the same price. Also has a much faster neck.
I'm not promoting it, as I actually prefer the traditional Les Paul shape and sound, but it sounds like it might work a bit better for your needs. Whatever you choose, you won't be disappointed. :D

Latest posts

Back