Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Love Rock Pickup Change
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fartoomany
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Love Rock Pickup Change Reply with quote

Hi, I recently aquired a 1980 LS50. It has the original "Double Whites" in it which are not bad to be fair. The bridge pickup is a little microphonic with very high gain however. (I could just get this potted I suppose)

I am thinking about changing the pickups. Possibly to Seymour Duncan '59? Anyone tried this pickup on a Love Rock ?

What's your opinions on a good replacement ?
Ducati
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a set of vintage style PAFs wound with NOS 60's wire from WB Pickups. They're in my Gibson LP and they sound fat and crunchy.

There's tons of other options as well. I happen to love the old Ibanez Super 70's pickups, which are usually pretty cheap.
settebello
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look on www.leosounds.de!But attention the classics are not
potted.
tudor
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Love Rock Pickup Change Reply with quote

fartoomany wrote:
I am thinking about changing the pickups. Possibly to Seymour Duncan '59? Anyone tried this pickup on a Love Rock ?

What's your opinions on a good replacement ?

Hi,
didn't have the SD in a Love Rock but in my Edwards (stock together with a SH-4/JB) ...

Very good pup, warm sounding with pronounced highs, more midrange tones ...
I've replaced them with Kloppmanns ... tremendous upgrade - although those pups are that expensive - I love them though ...
Have to compare them to my BareKnuckles still ... but I've got no energy to start that project at the moment ...

Roger
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seth lovers work well in an LP too...

for boutique i like peter florance voodoo 59's
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried these yet but i'm going to awesome prices and they will make anything you want http://www.highorderpickups.com/
oldflame
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducati wrote:
I got a set of vintage style PAFs wound with NOS 60's wire from WB Pickups. They're in my Gibson LP and they sound fat and crunchy.

There's tons of other options as well. I happen to love the old Ibanez Super 70's pickups, which are usually pretty cheap.

Great yes but not cheap anymore. Go tell em that over at the ICW site.
Guitargoblin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend Duncan 59s for any LP style guitar. Preferably with exposed bobbins. Great value. Make sure your pots are 500K audio & you've some decent paper/oil caps.
currypowder
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put Wolfetone Dr. Vintage pu's in my 1980 LS-120 and think these are some of the best pickups going. They're not cheap, but they really opened up the guitar for me. They replaced some Burstbuckers which sounded muddy to me. (www.wolfetone.com)

I also have Seth Lovers in my LS-320 (which are original to the guitar). These are fantastic pickups as well.
fartoomany
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for all your views. Still not sure tbh, but youve given me a bit more to think about.
clmazza
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had great luck with Rio Grande... especially the BBQ Bucker and Genuine Texas!
Slidewinder
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Haven't tried these yet but i'm going to awesome prices and they will make anything you want http://www.highorderpickups.com/.

I wound up putting Seth Lovers in my Love Rock and they sound great.
I've also got a set of SD 59's I haven't tried yet, but might use them in another guitar.
I was going to go for the High Orders, but after emailing, and getting a reply and price for 2 sets of the pickups I wanted, I emailed to get a final price to Canada with shipping so I could paypal the funds. That was the last I heard, no reply. That was about 6 weeks ago.
I didn't really feel too confident about ordering after that so I didn't bother emailing again.
They're great sounding pickups, and Jeff seemed like a good guy, informative and he had a good idea of what I was looking for.
I thought everything was ready to go.
Guess he didn't want the business.
fartoomany
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of VH-1's on the way, so I will be fitting these shortly. I think I am going to update all the electrics at the same time. I have been looking at the fake 58 kit (the kit not the ready made loom). Anyone used these, I would be interested in your comments.

After that, I am considering going for a lightweight tailpiece and brass abr.
tudor
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't know what the "fake 58 kit" is - is it the 50s wiring mod ???

OK - just noticed it ... very expensive !!! You know that the bumblebees are just a fake (as the name says) - I would recommend Mallorys 150 !!!

I can recommend the 50s wiring, a great upgrade in tone ...
For me it's amazing how tone pots and vol pots interact when you have the toggle in the middle position ... you can add or diminish the influence of either the neck pup or the bridge one just by using the vol pots ... and it will sound bright or more deep ... and this woody, growling basses providing sound hhmmmmm ... Wonderful upgrade in tonal changes ... !!!

Roger
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was thinking of the 50's wiring. Fake 58 is a web site (villager pointed me to this in one of his posts). The kit I was looking at is not the pre wired one, it is further down the page and is just the components you need. eg cts pots, orange caps, switch and jack and wire of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: