A few pics of my new Greco Les Paul!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPCarpenter

Reaction score
Just got this a couple of days ago from Japan (4 days shipping to Georgia). I'm very impressed with this guitar. I've owned a half dozen Les Pauls over the years and this is comparable to them in every way. Heres a few pics of the guitar!

100_1931.jpg

100_1932.jpg

100_1934.jpg

Here's on of the long neck tenon.

100_1927.jpg

And here's on where you can see the thick maple cap.

100_1928.jpg

marcusnieman said:
Nice.....love those plain tops. What are the details on it (model, weight, etc)?

I'm new to Grecos so I don't know alot of the details. From what I've found out here it's either a 1980 or 1990 model, the serial number is 0 7574, not sure what model it is, I believe it's an EG59-??, don't know how to determine the other numbers. The thing plays really good.

GPCarpenter said:
marcusnieman said:
Nice.....love those plain tops. What are the details on it (model, weight, etc)?

I'm new to Grecos so I don't know alot of the details. From what I've found out here it's either a 1980 or 1990 model, the serial number is 0 7574, not sure what model it is, I believe it's an EG59-??, don't know how to determine the other numbers. The thing plays really good.

In a previous thread you stated the serial # as D ****, which I thought was odd

So, it is either a 1980 or 1990.

Next time pics will work much better than a verbal explanation

Oh, and BTW, I'm going with a 1990 model because the truss cover is the later style cut MC cover; the earlier ones were cut much more squared off across the top portion

it also looks too clean for a 1980

GPCarpenter said:
Here's a pic of the headstock, I don't know if the truss rod cover style has any importance as far as estimating what year it was made. I have a pick of the back of the headstock but you can't see the serial number. The seller, who seems very reputable, said it was inked in dark ink and that the 'D' was seperated from the rest of the number. Also he assures me that the neck has the long tenon.

>I have a pick of the back of the headstock but you can't see the serial number< :eek:

f3ad_3.jpg

See at the top of the truss cover, it angles downward toward the middle

the older ones were basically flat across, without the angle down toward the middle

MIJvintage said:
GPCarpenter said:
marcusnieman said:

In a previous thread you stated the serial # as D ****, which I thought was odd

So, it is either a 1980 or 1990.

Next time pics will work much better than a verbal explanation

I'm sorry, but I didn't have the guitar when I said that about the serial number and the pic on the Ebay ad didn't show it. The seller said the serial number started with 'D'. Since I've received the guitar I was able to determine that the serial number starts with '0'...this was an honest mistake by the seller since it could be mistaken as a 'D'. Here's a pic.

100_1938.jpg

im guessing its a 90 model as it has no fret edge binding, and the greco headstock logo looks like the newer type. greco stopped putting fret edge binding on in about 1990 ( i think as part of the agreement so they didnt get sued by Gibson USA. not positive on that)

its 1990...

greco did use fret binding on the very high models at that time..but anything below a 59-120 you won't see it... this was true all the way from 82 for the mint collection, apart from a few very early ones which used left over necks from the super real era of 1981..these also have a fatter profile than the normal mint collections..

generally speaking though only the EG59-120/140/160 and 180 got fret binding...and those models come and go with the years... so some years there were say only a 120 and a 180 with fret binding, yet some years there were a 120/160 and 180 with binding...and thats without looking at the limited edition runs ..which all had fret binding..!!!

its confusing...

Nice guitar ... congrats !!! :lol: :lol:

... and a sweet long tenon ... 8) 8) 8)

Enjoy! :wink:

Roger

Latest posts

Back