Vintage!?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Applepie

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/TOKAI-Goldstar-Sound-Made-in-Japan-Vintage_W0QQitemZ190090424143QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

How old is this Goldstar!?

It's an 80's TST-40, the trem or bridge saddles have probably been replaced since the TST-40's have cast 70's style saddles. The tuners are definitely the budget Gotoh's (not Klusons) used on the TST/AST-40 models.

I think the first year for the TST/AST-40's is 1985 since it's not mentioned in the 1984 catalog.

Mike

Rust never sleeps ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

He should have cleaned at least the trem saddles before posting the pics ... looks scuzzy ... hugh !!! :eek: :( :( :(

Roger

Hi Roger,

Yes, that is a pretty crusty bridge. I've gotten some fairly corroded Silver Stars from Japan (must be a very humid country) but that Gold Star might have been kept in the fishtank.

Me, I like a little rust. James Chris Larsen of Tucson, Arizona, is a guy who likes to build a little chaos into his guitars, called Girl Brand. Some have rusted steel, others corroded copper, some weird plastic tops. All are pretty creative. Larsen is a mad genius, I think. I bought mine in 1994 when they were still fairly affordable. They cost several thousand $ now.

Although the bridge on mine (Uranium Girl) is more acid-etched corrosion:

http://www.girlbrand.com/uranium2.gif

The pickups are basic Tele pickups with built-in passive transformers, which boost up the sound to something like a P90. It sounded OK with a Vibrolux reissue I have. But just got a new amp (Swart Atomic Space Tone) and I can only play it inside at about 2-3 on the volume, due to the hotness of the pickup transformer stages. I am now in tonedaddy heaven 8)

take care

Steve

Steve,

sorry - didn't know that it's yours ... :oops: :oops: :oops:

But my posting was a frankly one ... you'll understand it, I'm sure ... !!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

... but for me it looks like bushy armpits ... :-? :-?

I apologize if I had bashed you ... it wasn't my intention !!! :lol: :lol:

Roger

Hey Roger,

Oh no no no no no ... that rusty eBay Gold Star guitar is not mine. I was just commenting on how a little bit of rust is not so bad.. :lol: No offense at all!!!! You know, it does look like a hairy armpit or maybe a millipede with a bad attitude! :eek:

The link to Girl Brand guitar that I listed is my guitar- the weird Telecaster type guitar with the metal countertop siding on the side. Larsen's 25th made, also known as Uranium Girl! Uranium Girl's top is made of some weird shiny Fiberglas material. Even the builder doesn't know what it is - he just found a piece of it in an industrial supply yard. He named it Uranium Girl because he said the numbers remind of an atomic element number. Luckily I had it tested and it's not radioactive! But it does sound pretty hot! :D

You should check out Larsen's Website. He builds some really interesting guitars:

www.girlbrand.com

How's the weather over there in Deutschland?

I'll bet that Andrea Merkel is happy to know that George Bush is far away in South America, no doubt giving the leaders there one of his special backrubs :roll:

cheers always and zum Wohl

Steve

This is what the 1982 Springy I bought last year from Germany looked like when I received it:

springy_bridge.jpg

springy_dust.jpg

springy_controls.jpg

I cleaned it but left the rust on the saddles and pickguard screws. I love that strat, it's a wonderful guitar with excellent tone, sustain and vintage feel.

springy_body.jpg

Mike

Sorry, but why can't sellers clean their items before selling, that is embarrissing... Wouldn't ship a guitar like this, urghhh..

tokaigeezer said:
You should check out Larsen's Website. He builds some really interesting guitars:

www.girlbrand.com

How's the weather over there in Deutschland?

I'll bet that Andrea Merkel is happy to know that George Bush is far away in South America, no doubt giving the leaders there one of his special backrubs :roll:

cheers always and zum Wohl

Steve,

amazing guitars from girlbrand ... the copper Tele is nice ... :lol: :lol:

Concerning the German situation ... seems that you're informed at best ... :lol: :lol: ... and you know alot of my language ... :wink:
Where did you learn so much about my country ??? :wink:

We've had the first sunny days here ... spring will come at least ... I love that season ... :lol: :lol:

... and Angela Merkel does a good job - except the cuts into the social system in Germany - we'll expect a "NEW POVERTY" ... many people will live below the poverty level soon ... we are watching this trend since the last 15 years ... no politician does care of the causes because they are miles away from the common people and their needs - they are always still fighting the symptoms not the causation - and for their own bank account ... bad ... :evil: :evil:
... enough of politics ... 8) 8) 8)

Roger

javelin70 said:
This is what the 1982 Springy I bought last year from Germany looked like when I received it

Mike,

that is a real nice strat ... in a wonderful vintage condition ... this would be what I expected to get - not in such an ugly shape like the ebay one ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW - Congrats ex post ... :lol:

Roger

Roger,

I spent a summer in Germany in the early '70s, living in a small town called Seeheim, south of Frankfort, working in a mail order business called NEHO Versand. I got the job through a German professor of mine at college. My father's parents were from Kiel up north, so wanting to learn German was a natural thing for me.

Every morning I bicycled to work, punched in my work card and carried boxes and catalog items to the women on the assembly/mail order line. It was fun, mostly. I really got to improve my German but now 30 years later I have forgotten almost all of it. The people were very nice to me and helped a pretty clueless American feel welcome. I haven't been back since, unfortunately, but would like to some day.

I was amazed at how fast people could legally drive on the Autobahn. I remember going 145 km/hour in a rickety VW Beetle trying to keep up with a crazy warehouse driver I was following. That was a life-changing experience. I got to travel around the continent for a few weeks via some excellent rail systems.

I was also impressed with the amazing social and health care system that seemed far advanced of anything in the USA. I guess that now things have changed, especially with the reunification. At the time I was there the USA was at war in Vietnam. I remember asking most Germans I met what they thought of the situation, and the USA in general.

I was always curious, and took notes wherever I went, so it made sense later that I became a journalist. I hoped to be a travel writer (dream job) but got married, had a son and worked in newspapers. After getting out of the business I have decided to retrain as a surgical technician. My wife is a nurse, so she helps with my science classes.

I agree, politics is a pretty horrible topic.

At any rate, no matter what happens in life, it's never too late to keep thinking about buying another guitar you don't really need. :wink:

Thanks

Steve

Back