Looky What I got! (Burny SG)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MIJvintage said:
PoorMan, I have a mid '80s Burny 61 SG Standard copy and the neck on this thing is huge; likely just as big or bigger than any knock off brand of Lester neck I have aroung here. This is a top quality SG for sure, a great replica SG.

It has the typical wide SG neck width but front to back it's thick; 7/8" @ the 3rd fret, 29/32" @ the 7th fret, and 31/32" at the 12th fret (measured with a non digital caliper).

Neck tenon runs the full length of the neck pickup route; gray insulation VH-1s, and a 2 piece slightly off center seam body that is so well matched it really looks like 1 single piece.

It's a great SG if SGs are your gig; beats a Gibson any day 4 sure...........

Here's a few pics; maybe up for sale soon, and if so I'll post it in the CLASSIFIEDs........

SG6.jpg

SG5.jpg

SG3.jpg

SG1.jpg

Just like mine! (only much better condition--LOL!) Yeah, without having measured the neck I'd say I have to agree with you 100%. The neck is pretty chunky. Super comfortable to play. I have to say this is the nicest SG I've ever played--Gibson or otherwise. This is my 2nd Burny and I am very impressed by the quality. I hope more lie in my future.

Oh yeah...one more thing...

This guitar was FILTHY!!! I had to scrub and clean every millimeter of the guitar. I spent a lot of time cleaning it. The fretboard and bridge took the longest. It was really crusty.

PoorMan said:
Jim Jones said:
Hey PoorMan,

How would you describe the neck on your Burny SG? Is it more like the current Gibson Standards and Specials or thin like a '61?

Thanks!

Jim

Sorry for the long absence. I've been crazy busy.

Honestly I haven't played a new SG or 61 for years so I can't rightly compare. I think probably more like a newer SG but maybe with less of a taper (chunkier). I can tell you this, I remember not liking the new SG or 61 neck much...and I like this one a lot.

If I get to play some SGs I'll post a more definitive response.

Not a problem - thanks for posting!

Jim

Update:

Wiring, new p'ups and setup complete. I FREAKIN' LOVE THIS GUITAR!!! I'd been wanting an SG for a while but was leery of neck profiles and tennons. I gotta tell you these Burny's are KILLER. It plays great, It looks great, and it sounds amazing.

I was waiting for the honeymoon to be over before I posted. This just might be my favorite guitar.

Yup. It was a great score. Even with shipping from Japan I feel I got a great deal considering the quality of the guitar. One of these days I'll get pics up.

Hi

then try the L8001 vintage , Burny pickup, forerunner for the VH1, from 1980-1982 they smoke !! looks like VH 1, but braided wire and always black bubbins !

villager said:
both of these are better than most boutique pickups out there...

"Boutique" often enough means (far too) high prices for good or even mediocre stuff.
The term "boutique" often indicates "made for guys with better purses than ears" or " made for guys that do not work hard enough for too little money".
I don't give a **** for "boutique".

Either it is good stuff and worthy some reasonable price, or it isn' worthy a high price.
Both you can found in boutique or "off-the-shelf"-stuff.

I prefer to trust my ears and not my eyes that read the "boutique"-label.
And when i read "boutique" in combination with astronomic prices, i usually think "made for guys with better purses than ears". ;)
No offense meant! :)
Cyah
Burny

Burny2,

Then you should try these:
http://www.highorderpickups.com/

I've tried Fralins, Duncan Custom Shop, Wolfetone...you name it. These are my favs--and they're only $65. Hand wound to your spec. You can't beat it.

Latest posts

Back