Current/recent production Love Rock...still good?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm not terribly knowledgeable about recent MIJ Love Rocks, so I'm hoping for some feedback from those in the know.

I'm interested in buying a single-cutaway LR LP Special made last year. I'm wondering how the build quality is on these guitars, compared to say, Gibson's Historic or production models. I've never owned a Tokai, but wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on an old one...just don't know what recent production is like...(talking MIJ only). Pickups/electronics/hardware aren't terribly important, as any of that is replaceable. I'm interested in the wood...neck shape/size, construction (neck joint, 1-piece or multi piece bodies and necks) finish (nitro or poly).

Hoping some of you folks can hook me up with some good info! Thanks:)

I have a 98 Love rock LS-70F MIJ, nowadays its called a LS-85F go figure.
2 piece mahogany back, mahogany neck, measurements are btw 58-59
Extended tenon, not long-not short ,in btw, see photos
Maple top with a Sycamore veneer to show all the flames LOL
Gotoh hardware & pups, MKII I believe
Poly finish

Love this guitar, I've had shootouts with LP studio & my trusty 92 LP Jr P90 , Tokai wins all hands down, well for some songs the P90 Jr is a winner but that is a P90 not a HB pup!!!
Can't say about the Historics as I can't get my hands on one!!
But compared to my G....n Lp Jr and the Lp Studio the Tokai wins on craftsmanship & finish

A few shots
Oh I payed US$600 for it from japan

6f_12_s.jpg

7a_12_s.jpg

PA040134.jpg

PA040133.jpg

PA040135.jpg

66_12_s.jpg

bf_12_sb.jpg

b2_12_s.jpg

Enjoy!! all i have done to this guitar is fitted a light weight alu tailpiece & new posts to it to increase the sustain, now she hangs........................................and hangs...........

PC080369.jpg

Ugh... I despise that phrase "pull the trigger"... such a crude Americanism.

Ahem. Although some would debate the point, I'd say the love rocks of the last 10 years are easily on the same league as the older ones. Compared to Gibson, the main models fall somewhere between the Standards and Historics in terms of quality (closer to the standards though). The high end models (the ones with model #'s above 100) are on par with the Historics and the very top models are even better.

True, the pickups, poly finish and veneers on the main lineup aren't quite Gibson spec but electronics can be replaced, thin poly sounds as good as nitro, and the veneers are so thin they make no difference and cover solid maple caps anyway. Build quality and consistency are well above Gibson's output.

Paladin2019 said:

Thanks. I'll give your comment the consideration it deserves.

Thanks also for having the fortitude to get past my clearly offensive post and provide useful info, pertinent to the topic. I appreciate your effort.

Thanks also, hawkeye2u for your comments. Helpful stuff, and great pics of a killer....whoops...make that, "pretty" guitar .

In particular, I'm looking for a LR single-cut Special. Mahogany slab, P90s, wrap tailiece. Would anyone have an idea as to what I might expect to pay (in USD) for a late model, and what is the model number for these guitars? Thanks.

marcusnieman said:
Paladin2019 said:

Not a fan of old Western movies, I take it? :wink:

The phrase also crops up in the AC/DC song "Shoot to Kill", but I don't think they were referring to guns... :D

adrian

Paladin2019 said:

Pulled My Trigger, .......................................................................... from a great song, by a great English band. IMO :D

Go with Togps
VERY well respected member of this forum, never seen any bad feedback or
comments

Thats where I got my Alu tailpiece & Faber Kit

I wouldn't mind "pulling the trigger" on a Ls120 or a Ls150 If i could find one at a reasonable price!!!!

Iv'e always "pulled the trigger" when I buy guitars LOL

92 Gibson Jr
96 Fender Strat MIJ 57RI
98 Tokai Ls70F

Now I've only got three more shots in my old Colt six shooter

msvbvm61 said:
Paladin2019 said:

Pulled My Trigger, .......................................................................... from a great song, by a great English band. IMO :D

Ouch! Don't be calling a bunch of Scots who grew up and live in Australia an "English band". Even Angus would kick your *** for that I'm guessing. :)

Jim

Jim Jones said:
msvbvm61 said:
Paladin2019 said:

Ouch! Don't be calling a bunch of Scots who grew up and live in Australia an "English band". Even Angus would kick your *** for that I'm guessing. :)

Jim

Or was he refering to Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody?

Aha, I believe you're right!

While we're talking about bad internet guitar geek terms, how about "tone arsenal". As in "I need a P90 guitar in my tone arsenal". Jeez, who the hell are you, Rock 'n' Roll Rambo? I'll never understand that one. :)

Jim

Hi!
Forget about actual built Tokais! They?re not worth the money!
good on ya, "ACY"

Hope anyone?ll believe that, so there?ll be more Tokais left for me to buy! :D

Latest posts

Back