OK, So what is in your collection?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok but dont tell my WIFE
OVATION CELEBRITY
76 GIBSON M-K 53
FENDER STRAT 83
EPIPHONE LES PAUL OO
TOKAI LES PAUL MOD.? YEAR?
CUSTOM MADE 72TELE BY LAYS GUITAR OF AKRON
MORGAN MONROE ELEC. ACUSTIC
WHITE DILLION SG MOD. DR500T-AM

AMPS
CRATE GFX212
PEAVEY 400 CLASSIC
DALE SHULLER CUSTOM 30 212 ON IT's way
1955 fender champ
1963 fender tremolux

Tokai Love Rock, C/S/B-Jap 1014xxx Sold !!
I'm entertaining offers for :
Tokai Love Rock, S/B 9001xxx
Tokai “Love Rock” Goldtop 9002xxx
Tokai “Love Rock” Black 9102xxx
Tokai “Love Rock” White Custom 9102xxx
Just PM me and give your email

Bid now or forever hold your piece ! The ultimate Christmas gift-For your self of course :eek:

Recomended The Black Love Rock-That a WILD ***** !!!

Dang Ochay! :eek:

No wonder no one else replied after you - you've got a vintage Tokai Store in the works!

Okay, I've got:

1981 7okai Springysound in Sherwood Green & OHSC (Mint Condition)

1979 Tokai LS-50 Les Paul Reborn Black Beauty

1985 Tokai LS-150 Love Rock Flame Top & OHSC

1982 Fender JV Series '62 Reissue Sunburst Stratocaster

1983 Fender JV Series '62 Reissue Olympic White Stratocaster

1982 Fender V Series '57 Reissue Canary Yellow

1987 Orville by Gibson Les Paul Gold Top (Mint Condition)

1981 Greco SE-600 '54 Fender Stratocaster Replica

1978 Greco Firebird V Replica

1982 Greco SG Special w/P-90s

1978 Greco Rickenbacker 4001 Replica Bass (Mapleglow)

1977 Greco Thunderbird Bass Replica

1979 Greco Albemic Replica GOB-900 Bass

1995 Ibanez Custom Artist w/vine neck inlays & OHSC

2002 Bacchus Duke LB Standard Les Paul

2000 Bacchus '58 RI Flying V

1995 Kawai Gold Flake Moon Sault

1980's Kawai Night Sky Moon Sault w/Eagle Headstock

1990's Surles PolySynth-Ready Custom Flame Top

2002 History SH-L2 Custom Quilt-Top Les Paul (w/ display case)

AMPS:

1969 MusicMan RD-112 Tube Amp

1999 Two Rock Opal Head thru Mesa Boogie 1/12 cabinet

Other Gear:

RMC Wah

Big Muff Pedal

Roland GR-1 Synthesizer coupled to...

Roland VG-8 Guitar/Amp Modeler

I know it's an eclectic mix of stuff, but although I love Tokais, there are many other older Japanese companies that made replicas just as good and sometimes better than Tokai, so I just keep the coolest and the best of them. I ended up keeping 2 Love Rocks and a Springy, but those older Grecos have MOJO and you can find many more different replicas out there - they must have copied every single classic guitar in history. I've literally seen them all - and they even have a really rare, old Zemaitis copy that is virtually impossible to find now, but I am on that mission now - to find the Ronnie Wood Metal Disc top replica.

:) Nice lists of gear guys; it's always cool seeing what everyone else has got.

- APM

One electric, one acoustic, one amp:

'84 Tokai Love Rock ALS-60 flametop
'64 Harmony 1310 archtop cutaway
Marshall 75 watt amp

Any tone they can't give me comes from my hands. 8)

I'd like to pipe in as I'm getting green reading..63 Strat, 69 Goldtop Les Paul,1978 Tokai Reborn Les Paul,1984ish Tokai Goldstar Sound Red Strat with Kinman P.U.,1988 Dotneck 335 Re-issue Blond,1991 Fender Ultra Strat,G&L ASAT signed by Robbin Ford & Ronnie Earl,Carr Slant 6V 2-12 double power,Carr Rambler 1-12,1977 Fender Vibrolux, 1978 Fender Delux,and to many effects to list. Favorite is the 63 strat thru the Carr slant 6 V.....Mike :lol:

Sounds like a challenge there, LondonBarry!

Seriously, my youth was spent in garage bands covering Top 40 hits, and with no musical knowledge and the sparsest of equipment, we learned to imitate different guitar sounds with varying pick attacks, palm dampening techniques, etc. It was a great training ground. The middle p-up switch through a clean amp setting and light picking will give you a passable thin Fender-y sound - but...

Who'd want to sound like a Strat anyway!! :lol:

Regarding my spartan gear: my rather thin wallet has always dictated the size of my collection. I'd like to think the resulting frustratiion has manifested in my soulful blues licks. :wink:

Phew! I'm impressed with that lot. Those 3 pages took me 25 minutes to read through properly. I'm too tired to post my lot up now. Maybe at the weekend when I've recovered from guitar overload.

After much buying and selling i've settled on...

79 Tokai Silver Star SS-40
85 NOS Tokai Silver Star SS-38
02 Fender Tele, 3-tone burst, maple neck
01 Gibson Classic SG (P-90's)

Now here's a follow up question for y'all...

If you we're threatened with death and dismemberment and had to choose just one guitar from your collection which would it be?

I love'em all but I'd have to choose the '79 Silver Star SS-40. Its so versatile and a joy to play.

cheers

Off all my guitars, it would have to be the LS-200. Whenever I find myself unmotivated or unable to get "that"sound, i pull it out and "it's all good".

Dana

I'd have to go with the Heritage LP copy goldtop. The more I get used to it, the Strat style guitars just feel like planks of wood. I used to get a kick out of people talking about the "acoustics" of solid body guitars, but there actually IS something to be said for the idea. (Kinda like the serious fishermen that claim they can smell baitfish in the water...) Anyway, I'm glad that we don't have to choose any one instrument... That would be like eating the same dinner every evening. :eek:

Goldtops are where my heart lies and I'm not sure why. I'm a huge Tom Scholz (Boston) fan and most of the early Boston stuff is an old Goldtop.

Some day I hope to find an old Tokai GT for the collection.

Ned

Ramsale I agree.It is the same for me.I feel Gibson style guitars more guitars,jazz boxes especially(Heritage Eagle).

ned said:
Goldtops are where my heart lies and I'm not sure why. I'm a huge Tom Scholz (Boston) fan and most of the early Boston stuff is an old Goldtop.

Some day I hope to find an old Tokai GT for the collection.

Ned

Ned, the absolute best sounding guitar I have ever played was an 80's Tokai Goldtop. I tried one out in a store around 1989/90 when I was looking for an amp. I played it through a Fender Vibroverb Reissue, and even at lower volume through a clean setting, the tone was unbelievable. Pure Dickey Betts, angelic, nasty. This thing truly soared. But I already owned a Love Rock burst, and was not in a financial position to pull the trigger, but that GT was on my mind for a long, long time afterward.

And another thing ... no matter how many guitars you own, you'll still sound like you, whatever you play - in my case that's fairly mediocre :oops: compared to real players like Tuck Andress, who writes about his own experiences ("It's the guitar's fault") in his "Tuck's Corner" section of his and Patti's Web site:

http://www.tuckandpatti.com/fault.html

I try and remember this when I hear the siren song of another Tokai Silver Star calling to me out there in cyberspace ... ahhhhhhh resist I must! (as Yoda would say)

p.s. even though it's a bit early, happiest of holidays to all Tokai twangers scattered around our little planet! :D

Back