Hunting for Burny RLG-80 'Super Grade' Models

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don?t know.

Up until 1987 there was no RLG 80. Perhaps there was one in the mid 90.?s. From 1982 until 1987 there was a RLG 50, with solid unflamed top (like Yours) and in 82-84 many RLG 50?s had one piece backs. In 82 the pickups on the RLG 50 was L8000 pickups and VH1?s in 83. In 1986 there was a RLG 60 with flamed veneer top, but every thing else was like the RLG 50. These two (mid 80.?s) model are often called RLG 90 and RLG 80 by today's E-bay sellers. But no matter the name, these are very fine guitars !! The best You can buy for Your money to day!! If it wasn't for shipping to Denmark and tax, I have bought that guitar myself !

nils

glamrock, that is one sweet looking find you got there; love the finish as I prefer lemon drop, amber, and honey finish RLGs

now you will come to know why I prefer the older RLG plain tops over any other Lester out there.

they are just like any other model, there are good ones & bad ones but when you find the ones that have 'that magic' you won't ever have need for another Lester than a good plain top Burny. The goods ones are very magical indeed.

Congrats on your find :)

I have only played a handful of Burnys and Grecos, never had my hands on a Love Rock at all. But the moment I picked this baby up I knew I had to have it! The problem was convincing my wife that I had to have it.
I felt like I didn't have have much of a chance as she had already said no to a Burny Firebird I was drooling over. My argument that Steve Clark looked so cool with one was not enough to convince her that it wasn't the ugliest thing she had ever seen!
So when this baby came up I showed her, and while seeming slightly more impressed she still said "no, let's pay the mortgage first". Two days later it is lying on the bed as an anniversary present!

I can honestly say that I have never played a LP comparable to this (in feel) genuine or otherwise.

PS- I'm with you MIJ, LOVE the finish on these, wouldn't want anything else!

This one was pretty sweet. Weighty all over so it was quite well balanced. (but not too heavy). Love those mini-buckers! Must have just been a good one. If I came across one like this again I would have to snap it up.

While on that subject also played a Greco 'Bird recently and it sucked! It was very light. Also played a new Tokai bolt-on 'Bird. Ugh!

Another question for you, about what year did they start putting Kahlers on the customs? Did they ever go on the RLGs? Might have to chase one of those next. (it's a Steve Clark thing!)

Latest posts

Back